Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not surprised on the consistently dropping numbers on the 32s and 42s. After all, they are quite old and were never intended to last much past 2010. Even with their constant maintenance, there's only so much they can do to stop the aging process on these cars.

The R32s and R42s being worn out is no secret to me, but I am more intrigued about the other data:

-Like the 28% drop in R46 performance.

-The 30% decline in R160 performance.

-The fact that despite being transferred to Westchester, the R62As still manage to perform better than the R142As.

-The R62s, despite their age, having  a MDBF of almost 200,000 compared to the R142s having 60,000 less.

-The R143s being barely more reliable than the 45+ year-old cars that ran on the (L) before them.

Compared to the SMEEs, I doubt the NTTs will last 40 years (let alone 30 for that matter).

I'll give a pass for the 46s for the same reasons I gave for the 32s and 42s. The oldest of the 46s are over 40 years old, just slightly younger than the remaining 42s. As the workhorses of the (A) and (R) lines, they see some serious mileage.

As for the rest of the fleet, the 142As in particular, I gave a response in the random topics thread, but it does bear repeating. It's becoming quite apparent that it's a maintenance issue rather than design problems that are causing the significant swings in performance. Since the shift over to the (7), the former 142As have drastically outperformed their non-converted counterparts. And as we know given the cars' appearance, nothing was changed on the converted cars besides the addition of CBTC equipment, so that cannot be a reason for the uptick. We've also seen a sharp drop in the MDBF numbers for the 62As since the move to Westchester. Obviously I don't know the cause of these performance drops for the Westchester cars, I do believe Transit should investigate these yard issues before these problems become major hindrances to operating service.

As for the rest of the fleet, the 142As in particular, I gave a response in the random topics thread, but it does bear repeating. It's becoming quite apparent that it's a maintenance issue rather than design problems that are causing the significant swings in performance. Since the shift over to the (7), the former 142As have drastically outperformed their non-converted counterparts. And as we know given the cars' appearance, nothing was changed on the converted cars besides the addition of CBTC equipment, so that cannot be a reason for the uptick. We've also seen a sharp drop in the MDBF numbers for the 62As since the move to Westchester. Obviously I don't know the cause of these performance drops for the Westchester cars, I do believe Transit should investigate these yard issues before these problems become major hindrances to operating service.

What I don't understand is, why aren't all shops doing the best they can with maintenance as possible. Why do the higher ups within the MTA even tolerate sub-par maintenance from some yards? Also, which yards are notoriously the worst?

Who knows. This is what I think is going to happen during the (L) shutdown:

Increased service on the (J) and (M), will use R160/R179's.

(C) becomes fully NTT

(G) gains cars from the (B) to become a full 10 car set. There may be some NTT'S from either the (L) or the (J) on here as well.

(B) gets to keep some of their R68's since the (G) has some full sets that can be aired in 5 cars. It will also get R32's.

Why not? Are there clearance issues with the 4-car R160 sets that no one but you knows about? I also didn't know you suddenly got a degree in a transportation - related field and started working for operations planning at 2 Broadway.

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the point that since the (G) comes out of Coney Island, they're gonna use the 10 car sets there.

No need to overboard there

< Why do the higher ups within the MTA even tolerate sub-par maintenance from some yards?>

Given how MTA tolerates an M-3 MDBF on the LIRR that is a fraction of what they are on MN for the M-3A, I am not surprised. MTA is only concerned when "apologizing" and managing after a fare increase approval, then they go to sleep for 2 years.

• 1 month later...

One reason is to why another set of R160's were sent to the (C) for an exchange for another R32 set is probably to prepare for the (M) GO and for the (M) shuttle this upcoming fall since it will use R32's and the temporary barn to house those R32's.

Lotta people in here making assumptions. My boss in the shop read these posts and laughed, lol

That R32 pair at ENY is long term hold cars, they aren't really stripped.

There's 4 other 32s up at 207 that were stripped slightly but they're putting em back together now.

One reason is to why another set of R160's were sent to the (C) for an exchange for another R32 set is probably to prepare for the (M) GO and for the (M) shuttle this upcoming fall since it will use R32's and the temporary barn to house those R32's.

when we have changes in the car assignments, we do the transfers to support them only a day or two before the changes start, so no, this isn't correct.

They sent the 32 set to ENY to fill in for the 143 and 160 going for SMS

• 2 weeks later...