Fleet Swap Discussion Thread

INDman

• 4 months later...

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't remember the number but I saw an R32 with the M logo on the (C) last week.

Probably 3718 -- that one's been like that for a little while. Had the new logo, went into work service, came back with the old M. 3578 had its logo covered up, and 3834-3835 had theirs re-stickered too.

• 1 month later...

The total R32 amount at East New York for the (J)(Z) is now up to 102 cars. The (C) now has 120 R32 subway cars.

*Referred to joekorner update.

Its for the (A). Now one set of R32's can run anytime on the (A) besides the AM rush. The 2nd set still only runs during the pm rush. This set replaces the R46's that were sent to Jamaica yard. Edited by R32 3671

I am not to happy that they are going to replace all the R42s and just some of the R32s. They should keep the R42s over the R32s. The R32s are older than the R42s. I think should do SMS on what remains of the R42 fleet and the R32s left after the R179s come into service. The MTA is only getting rid of about 112 R32s and the remaining 50 R42s. I think they should get rid of 162 R32s instead as there is only about 222 R32s left in service. Keep the R42s and have them make 5 train sets on the G line after SMS treatment same for the remaining R32s. Have them run on the G to create more train sets as the M and L lines will be shut down for maintenance that means more people will be on the G.

I am not to happy that they are going to replace all the R42s and just some of the R32s. They should keep the R42s over the R32s. The R32s are older than the R42s. I think should do SMS on what remains of the R42 fleet and the R32s left after the R179s come into service. The MTA is only getting rid of about 112 R32s and the remaining 50 R42s. I think they should get rid of 162 R32s instead as there is only about 222 R32s left in service. Keep the R42s and have them make 5 train sets on the G line after SMS treatment same for the remaining R32s. Have them run on the G to create more train sets as the M and L lines will be shut down for maintenance that means more people will be on the G.

The R32s are in much better shape than the R42s. It makes literally no sense to keep them.

It makes more sense to replace the R42's for the following reasons:

The R32s are in much better shape than the R42s. It makes literally no sense to keep them.

2. There are way more R32's than R42's still in service.

Sent from my iPad using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Alright, time to nip this in the bud-

The R42s are not being retired right now; considering the extensive delays and other problems with the R179 delivery, they probably won't start retiring until the second half of 2017.

Secondly, the MTA has made it clear that a limited number of cars will be kept for service increases during the (L) shutdown- right now, the last thing they would do is start scrapping cars just for the sake of doing so.

Can't count chickens before they hatch. 

• 2 months later...

the number of R32's in active service is now 218. 3476/77 is missing parts (I could assume its done since its missing windows and a rollsign box as well as headlights) and another pair was stripped for parts last summer, it was a 38xx pair. This doesn't mean they're starting to retire cars, they just need to kill off a pair or two of bad cars for parts

the number of R32's in active service is now 218. 3476/77 is missing parts (I could assume its done since its missing windows and a rollsign box as well as headlights) and another pair was stripped for parts last summer, it was a 38xx pair. This doesn't mean they're starting to retire cars, they just need to kill off a pair or two of bad cars for parts

222 cars are still on the active roster. Yes, there are a few cars that have been held out of service for an extended period, but that doesn't mean that they're off the active roster. They could be returned to service at any time. Edited by Dj Hammers

• 2 weeks later...