The D train, the most reliable subway line in NYC.

BronxBombers

Crazy would be the (4) train. Southbound during the AM rush (and between 2:30 and 3:30 PM school days) some trains can get crush loaded as soon as Burnside. Northbound from 14th all the way to Fordham can get crush loaded too during the PM rush, and also during the between 7 and 8 AM as far up as Bedford Park when schools are in session.

The (D) is a much more sane ride by comparison. You probably still won't get a seat, but you won't have to wait for two D trains to go by just to get on.

This is especially true during Yankees games.  I once had to ditch trying to use the (4) and instead took the (7) and transferred to the (D).

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*reads thread title*

*laughs* :lol:

*says*

The f**k out of here... The (D) isn't even the most reliable line along 6th av!

Waiting for the D in the Bronx tries your patience; totally unreliable (When you have people like f*** the D along the concourse & resort to taking buses above instead, that says enough; I find that buses take up too much of the intraborough travel along GC - and I don't blame those folks one bit).... The waits for the D in Brooklyn I find is better than that for it in Manhattan & the Bronx, but that aint exactly saying much....

*leaves thread... still laughing*

Perceptually, I always feel that the 6 Avenue express routes are unreliable given that service is cut in half when the (B) is not running, and that's when I'm usually out in the city. Along Broadway, the (N) and (Q) show up in tandem and I can take one or the other to Coney Island. That's not to say that the (D) is unreliable, but the way its sibling routes are run creates such a mental connection.

The (D) is pretty damn near reliable, it may be slow in the Bronx via local N/B or S/B because of the gradual ascends and descends but it will eventually show up. I've lived near the (D)(4) lines for 17 years and as far back as I remember I believe the (D) may be considered "late" at times because there is a crew change at BPB (usually going S/B) sometimes they crew change N/B then the train has to relay. But regardless if you have a strict schedule I mean leaving your home for work,school etc that (D) train will be there when you want it to be there. Of course trains come late its normal there are delays whether its mechanical(due with the train,signal or not) or a late crew it happens. One or several experiences should not judge the efficiency of one line but perhaps a long term experience. Rush hours the (D) is always crowded but its usually ontime with decent headways 6-8min, then off rush its 8-10 min not terrible but its off rush hours. The (D) is dependable but also delayed usually in Manhattan and Brooklyn with the shared trackage. My case the (D) is far from unreliable and undependable because on a regular basis it is consistent but then again Monday-Saturday when I take the (D) my own personal experience shouldn't define my personal experience because there are other trains in other places that may have a negative experience somewhere down the line.(That was intended)

I agree. Only waiting for (D), (C)(R), (G) are unreliable.

Riding on (B)(D)(F)(N)(Q)(R)(A)(C)(E)(F) are realiable.

The (G) is usually pretty damn reliable. The headways can get long but unless there's something seriously f'd up it's usually within 3 min of on time. 

I think there's an issue here with the perception between "frequent" and "reliable" 

I think there's an issue here with the perception between "frequent" and "reliable" 

There is an issue. I've seen (D) trains bunched up before, and the headways are long on Sundays. Because of that, I hate the (D) train, causing me to now turn more and more away from the (D), so I cannot tell for sure. The (R) is pretty damn reliable from what I've seen. Maybe during the middays it's bad like the rest of Broadway (I've waited 20 minutes once during the midday and all that passed was 1 (R) and some trains that were from the other direction, but no trains coming southbound), but other times, it's pretty reliable. I've heard about the (G), though I've never ridden it, but I'm pretty sure it's reliable. Headways are a small pain, though. 

Plus, since when was this thread about frequency? It is about reliablility.

There is an issue. I've seen (D) trains bunched up before, and the headways are long on Sundays. Because of that, I hate the (D) train, causing me to now turn more and more away from the (D), so I cannot tell for sure. The (R) is pretty damn reliable from what I've seen. Maybe during the middays it's bad like the rest of Broadway (I've waited 20 minutes once during the midday and all that passed was 1 (R) and some trains that were from the other direction, but no trains coming southbound), but other times, it's pretty reliable. I've heard about the (G), though I've never ridden it, but I'm pretty sure it's reliable. Headways are a small pain, though. 

Plus, since when was this thread about frequency? It is about reliablility.

There was a bulk amount of negative feedback about the (A) / (C), (G) and (R) in some of the local medias and some of the past threads. A review guideline about the (A) / (C) is set to be release soon this year. Much of the negative feedback was about reliability and the aging cars running on the lines, especially on the (C).

Look at these two videos from NY1.com:

http://www.ny1.com/content/news/transit/210790/mta-to-conduct-full-review-of-a--c-lines/

http://www.ny1.com/content/news/210819/answers-won-t-come-overnight-in-mta-s-review-of-a--c-lines/

I'm sure you're already aware that they already did some improvements on the (G). As for the (A) / (C) and (R), that's yet to happen.

There was a bulk amount of negative feedback about the (A) / (C), (G) and (R) in some of the local medias and some of the past threads. A review guideline about the (A) / (C) is set to be release soon this year. Much of the negative feedback was about reliability and the aging cars running on the lines, especially on the (C).

Look at these two videos from NY1.com:

http://www.ny1.com/content/news/transit/210790/mta-to-conduct-full-review-of-a--c-lines/

http://www.ny1.com/content/news/210819/answers-won-t-come-overnight-in-mta-s-review-of-a--c-lines/

I'm sure you're already aware that they already did some improvements on the (G). As for the (A) / (C) and (R), that's yet to happen.

The (A) and (C) cars are definitely in a time warp...

Perceptually, I always feel that the 6 Avenue express routes are unreliable given that service is cut in half when the (B) is not running, and that's when I'm usually out in the city. Along Broadway, the (N) and (Q) show up in tandem and I can take one or the other to Coney Island. That's not to say that the (D) is unreliable, but the way its sibling routes are run creates such a mental connection.

But then that would be an issue with the MTA's decision not to run the (B) on weekends, which is understandable. As the Brighton Express, it's not really needed on weekends.

It's horrible when the (B) terminates at 145 St and the (D) to the Bronx is SRO during the early PM rush. If anything, these riders are going as far as Tremont or Fordham and they deserve better.

What's more horrible is that this terminal also interferes with (D) trains that serve people in the Bronx.

I know..just sayin if they swapped sets with the 6&7 Why not the D&E. I Chose the E becuase it clearly has enough to "share" just as the 6 had plenty R-142As to share with the 7.

The (E) will probably never see 75 footers again since dwell times along 53rd would go up because of passengers trying to fit through 32 instead of 40 doors.

It's horrible when the (B) terminates at 145 St and the (D) to the Bronx is SRO during the early PM rush. If anything, these riders are going as far as Tremont or Fordham and they deserve better.

That lone 3pm hour the (D) gets hammered all the way up, yet at the 2pm hour the (D) can hold its own just fine on a good day. The 4-5pm hours are still SRO on the (D) but not terrible. The (B) is actually pretty roomy north of 59th when it goes to Bedford Park, even with subpar headways.

That lone 3pm hour the (D) gets hammered all the way up, yet at the 2pm hour the (D) can hold its own just fine on a good day. The 4-5pm hours are still SRO on the (D) but not terrible. The (B) is actually pretty roomy north of 59th when it goes to Bedford Park, even with subpar headways.

How about 7pm hour when the (D) is by itself and the crowds haven't completely gone down yet?

I agree. Only waiting for (D), (C)(R), (G) are unreliable.

Riding on (B)(D)(F)(N)(Q)(R)(A)(C)(E)(F) are realiable.

Just What are you trying to say with this?

The waits for the D, C, and R are unreliable, but riding on those same lines are reliable?

In other words, those same lines barely have any delays when you ride them....

Gee, I need to start taking those lines when you're on them!

...and although I don't have much problems waiting for the F, it isn't that reliable... Since you listed it twice & all :lol:

...... but then again Monday-Saturday when I take the (D)my own personal experience shouldn't define my personal experience because there are other trains in other places that may have a negative experience somewhere down the line.(That was intended)

what?

Just What are you trying to say with this?

The waits for the D, C, and R are unreliable, but riding on those same lines are reliable?

In other words, those same lines barely have any delays when you ride them....

Gee, I need to start taking those lines when you're on them!

I meant it's faster when I'm on the train.

During Yankee games, there are many late goers who get kicked off the B and cram onto the D.

I absolutely hate that. I had some a-holes going to the Yankees game one night who thought they were going to be cute and block the damn doorway so people couldn't get out or get on, so I made it clear that that wasn't happening and shoved them out of the way and dared them to screw with me.  The city boy came out in me.  Those suburban punks are beyond obnoxious holding people up during rush hour.

Archived