Conductor 6601 Hiring Process

whatisacup
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.f72f46e2d83ee90d9d2e075472be7ff0.png

Conductor, Exam No. 6601

List Status: This list has been established as of 2/14/2018.

Pay: Starts at $24.33 and increases to $34.75 in the sixth year of service

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified.

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (4800's) - For Medical: (Last Known - 3470's)

Next Training Class: Unknown

Resources:

(Updated January 16, 2022)

2 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

hey, everyone... long time no chat...

So... tomorrow I am scheduled to go into 180 Linvingston, hopefully finally through this process.

I was originally called back in September. I was placed on Medical hold due to my neck size, the doctors believing I have sleep apnea. well, he were right, so, I go through the process of getting the CPAP machine. but there was a delay in actually acquiring the machine. I only got it in mid January due to a massive recall.

So, I hope the doctor clears me tomorrow. 

My issue is one question on the paperwork, regarding if I was ever disciplined. 

I'm a little nervous. My last long term job (not couting my time with the Census in 2020, I was the poor shmuck who had to go door to door for people who hadn't sent in their stuff already) was at a Staples. In 2018, a lot of the managers above me were fired, and I, along with probably a few other rank and file workers, were placed on displinary probation. The managers were doing things that were not above board to increase their sales. Corporate Loss Prevention was sympathetic, accepting the fact I was tricked by people I thought I could trust. A few months later, the replacement manager let me go. 

Basically, my question is A:How honest should I be, how much detail? It's been almost six years.

B: do any of you think this will have a negative affect on my chances of getting hired if I am honest?

I heard you should just be honest, also question what's your list number ?

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Kamen Rider said:

hey, everyone... long time no chat...

So... tomorrow I am scheduled to go into 180 Linvingston, hopefully finally through this process.

I was originally called back in September. I was placed on Medical hold due to my neck size, the doctors believing I have sleep apnea. well, he were right, so, I go through the process of getting the CPAP machine. but there was a delay in actually acquiring the machine. I only got it in mid January due to a massive recall.

So, I hope the doctor clears me tomorrow. 

My issue is one question on the paperwork, regarding if I was ever disciplined. 

I'm a little nervous. My last long term job (not couting my time with the Census in 2020, I was the poor shmuck who had to go door to door for people who hadn't sent in their stuff already) was at a Staples. In 2018, a lot of the managers above me were fired, and I, along with probably a few other rank and file workers, were placed on displinary probation. The managers were doing things that were not above board to increase their sales. Corporate Loss Prevention was sympathetic, accepting the fact I was tricked by people I thought I could trust. A few months later, the replacement manager let me go. 

Basically, my question is A:How honest should I be, how much detail? It's been almost six years.

B: do any of you think this will have a negative affect on my chances of getting hired if I am honest?

Just say you were on disciplinary probation. In the end it sounds benign anyway. It's not like you were written up for harassment or stole something.

Transit doesn't really care what you did as long as you mention it. 

thanks everyone.

Yeah. I just... I've worked so hard to get to this point it's not funny.

I have actually  lost a good 40-50 pounds since September, to the point my neck is now UNDER the sleep apnea measurement threshold. I actually have it due to a congenial issue with the size of the opening in my throat. 

I just didn't want to screw up. 

2 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

To be honest they won't care. Just disclose it truthfully as the way it happened and that's it you should be good. Good luck!

thanks everyone.

Yeah. I just... I've worked so hard to get to this point it's not funny.

I have actually  lost a good 40-50 pounds since September, to the point my neck is now UNDER the sleep apnea measurement threshold. I actually have it due to a congenial issue with the size of the opening in my throat. 

I just didn't want to screw up. 

If they don’t ask don’t mention 

that how I move 

3 hours ago, TurtleTA said:

Hello Everyone,

I have a few questions. If anyone knows. Will there be a class after Feb 21? Does anyone know what the training/probation period is like? Are you thrown into the wild schedule pattern as soon as you graduate? Thanks in advance :)

Training for me looked like this:

Day 1: was Orientation online meeting. Probation is 1 year from this day unless it gets extended.

Day 2: through 4 was at P.S 248 on the PM tour. About 55 of us at the 3rd floor gym

Week 2 and on : broken up into small classes. I was on PMs, we met at terminals/reporting location and did class for about 1/2 the day then on a train in a nearby yard. This goes on for about 6 weeks.

Once you passed everything and are released to the crew ooffice you are XX and anything goes. Everyone in my class had different tours, days off and train lline's. Whichever tour you have on Sunday will be the tour for the rest of the week. You will need to call on Fridays to get the following weeks tour and days off.

3 hours ago, Camean said:

Training for me looked like this:

Day 1: was Orientation online meeting. Probation is 1 year from this day unless it gets extended.

Day 2: through 4 was at P.S 248 on the PM tour. About 55 of us at the 3rd floor gym

Week 2 and on : broken up into small classes. I was on PMs, we met at terminals/reporting location and did class for about 1/2 the day then on a train in a nearby yard. This goes on for about 6 weeks.

Once you passed everything and are released to the crew ooffice you are XX and anything goes. Everyone in my class had different tours, days off and train lline's. Whichever tour you have on Sunday will be the tour for the rest of the week. You will need to call on Fridays to get the following weeks tour and days off.

First, congrats on getting the job. Thank you for sharing some insight too. What tours would you say you’ve been getting most frequently and what lines/locations sor far?

38 minutes ago, TurtleTA said:

First, congrats on getting the job. Thank you for sharing some insight too. What tours would you say you’ve been getting most frequently and what lines/locations sor far?

When you first come out they let you fill out a preference sheet, depending on needs though that’s where you’re gonna get placed! You get to rank what tour you want in order AM, PM, MID. Then the RDOs, if I’m not mistaken they also ask which is more important to you tour or RDOs. Honestly I heard a class recently came out and they all got dumped on MIDs even with the preference sheet. Once you’re XX you’re at their mercy, sometimes though they do work with you, it may also depend on what number on that list in terms of your group and those in front of you! Obviously seniority plays a part. Don’t let that discourage you though, just gotta put in your time, or put in a vacancy bid and hope to win something lol…good luck

So…my question turned out to be moot as I never got to the final processing.

I have basically been on medical hold after medical hold because every time I give them something they ask for… they ask for something else they didn’t say before. I spent SIX HOURS sitting around in the waiting room to see the doctor… and they’re like “did you ever get a note from the doctor about your blood pressure”

“The previous two doctors I’ve seen this week didn’t ask for one, they did not tell me I need one. All they told me is the sleep apnea sheet with enough days on it.”

and this was it. They told me if I wasn’t cleared today… the list is done. It’s going back to the city.

All this because of a recall. I had to wait to get my machine. Now it’s done. This is wrong. Every time they said jump, I said “how high”… and this is where I end up… “thank you, but the list is up”

the words I want to use right now…

40 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

So…my question turned out to be moot as I never got to the final processing.

I have basically been on medical hold after medical hold because every time I give them something they ask for… they ask for something else they didn’t say before. I spent SIX HOURS sitting around in the waiting room to see the doctor… and they’re like “did you ever get a note from the doctor about your blood pressure”

“The previous two doctors I’ve seen this week didn’t ask for one, they did not tell me I need one. All they told me is the sleep apnea sheet with enough days on it.”

and this was it. They told me if I wasn’t cleared today… the list is done. It’s going back to the city.

All this because of a recall. I had to wait to get my machine. Now it’s done. This is wrong. Every time they said jump, I said “how high”… and this is where I end up… “thank you, but the list is up”

the words I want to use right now…

So you'll have to restore your name to DCAS and start the process all over again it seems, sometimes this place is stressful before the first day.

On 2/12/2022 at 6:06 PM, Ty204 said:

Completed my drug test on 12/9. Had to reschedule medical and got in contact with Olha. Completed medical and fingerprints yesterday. I will be in the Feb 21 class. Good luck to everybody.

List number: 40xx

I also will be in the Feb 21st class...Wanted to know how we are to dress on the first day for Conductor Introduction?

11 minutes ago, Destiny101 said:

I also will be in the Feb 21st class...Wanted to know how we are to dress on the first day for Conductor Introduction?

If you can get blue shirt like the mta bus driver wear don’t have to be exact

pants should be navy blue like the cop pants 

black boots if you didn’t get your safgard boots in time 

This was the second time I’ve started from scratch. They started me from scratch back in the beginning of the month.

if I have to do it all over again… BLEEP it, I’ll do it again. I’m just… angry right now. It felt like six years of my life just went down the tubes.

I'm there with you. I did canvass, pre-employment and medical in August-September last year and have been in medical hold ever since for sleep apnea. I had no idea about the recalls on cpap machines and the shortage on parts until January. I didn't get my machine until February. It took over 2 months for my insurance to authorize the sleep study. Been a long road. I hope once I have my 30 days of data and go back to lift the hold that they won't come back with something else. If they do, then I'll do the whole process over again. At least it's not like they said you have no shot at all and do not come back. I was afraid of them telling me that once my first hold expired. 

7 hours ago, Destiny101 said:

I am having trouble with ordering my boots, I just finished final processing on Wednesday...It doesn't recognize my pass Id etc..Another question how long are the classes?

Yeah it’s take couple of days to be put in the system just wear black boots

keep trying 

1 hour ago, Toba817 said:

How do restore your name on DCAS? I might have to do that soon, although im 62xx

You are waaay too far out to be removed from DCAS. You just have to wait and see.

On 2/18/2022 at 6:30 PM, TurtleTA said:

Your RDO and tour can be changed on a weekly basis and you can be sent anywhere. If there was one thing the height of the pandemic did, it was to generally keep people in the tour they wanted since every tour was missing many people. Now with all the conductors that have been hired ahead of you, this may not hold true anymore. They have and had before the pandemic switch people up constantly.

Just keep in mind railroading in general is not an easy job to have with a family or to plan things out in general.