R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

What's the point of getting four car sets of R211's? The entire Eastern Division already has NTT equipment. Unless it's to expand service on the (L), it makes no sense.

And even so; they can use additional R160s that aren’t used on the (M), while all R179s are shifted to (J) service. There are 372 R160A-1 cars, 64 of which are already equipped with CBTC for the (L), leaving 308 R160A-1 cars left over. The (M) needs 192 cars to make service, and assuming a spare factor of 56 cars (7 trainsets), that would leave 68 cars left over. The (J) needs 20 trains to make service, and can theoretically cover it with 160 R179 cars, leaving 28 spare cars of R179s and maybe 16 R160s, leaving 48 R160A-1 cars free for service expansion. And remember that the (J) only needs 5 of those trainsets for 2 hours each weekday, and the weekend (M) is cut to a shuttle. So spare factor aside, ENY is fine and we don’t need 8-car R211s, especially such a small order. If the issue is converting the (G) to 8-car operations, then might as well just order 200 R211s as 8-car units so that way we don’t have as much of an oddball fleet and assign those cars to the (L) along with the R160s and shift R143s to the (J) and R179s to the (G) 

15 hours ago, Mysterious2train said:

Bulletin was posted on Reddit, so here it is:

1. This seems overly complicated for something that should be relatively simple. At that point, why not just run them on the (B), (G) or Rockaway (S)?

2. I also see there is still no date set as to when they'll enter service.

Just now, Lawrence St said:

1. This seems overly complicated for something that should be relatively simple. At that point, why not just run them on the (B), (G) or Rockaway (S)?

The (B) runs in BMT section which barely has clearance. The (G) is reasonable and the Rockaway Park shuttle would make the most sense which was the original rumor (it might still run on the shuttle later on).

6 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I agree. If the R211 cannot operate on an Express corridor, then the train is limited to the following routes:

1. (B) (unless the Central Park West Local is blocked), at which point, the R211T must be discharged at 59 St-Columbus Circle (or run light from 145 St/Bedford Park Blvd to 59 St-Columbus Circle - I'm assuming no express tracks can have the R211T trains. - Wait, would the (B) be able to be an option via the Brighton Express? or what about the specific express corridors precludes operation of the R211T trains on those routes, YET the 8 Av Express track between Canal St and 59 St-Columbus Circle is still fair game.

2. (G) (except the Culver Express track, unless these don't count since the express and local tracks are separated between 7 Av and Church Av, and the (G) cannot use the express tracks north of 4 Av anyways since they don't connect to Crosstown).

3. (W) (unless rerouted via Broadway Express)

4. (S) Rockaway. This should just be the assignment (three 5-car units and one spare). Then shift current R179 trains back to the (A). The Rockaway (S) is already fully outdoors and there are no revenue express tracks along the Rockaway Line.

Edited by darkstar8983

From a Reddit comment regarding why R211Ts can't run express, credibility not verified:

"There aren’t any smoke detectors installed yet in the gangway section and they’re required if there’s a gap of more than 5 minutes between stations. Once they’re installed, then they can run on express routes"

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

I agree. If the R211 cannot operate on an Express corridor, then the train is limited to the following routes:

1. (B) (unless the Central Park West Local is blocked), at which point, the R211T must be discharged at 59 St-Columbus Circle (or run light from 145 St/Bedford Park Blvd to 59 St-Columbus Circle - I'm assuming no express tracks can have the R211T trains. - Wait, would the (B) be able to be an option via the Brighton Express? or what about the specific express corridors precludes operation of the R211T trains on those routes, YET the 8 Av Express track between Canal St and 59 St-Columbus Circle is still fair game.

2. (G) (except the Culver Express track, unless these don't count since the express and local tracks are separated between 7 Av and Church Av, and the (G) cannot use the express tracks north of 4 Av anyways since they don't connect to Crosstown).

3. (W) (unless rerouted via Broadway Express)

4. (S) Rockaway. This should just be the assignment (three 5-car units and one spare). Then shift current R179 trains back to the (A). The Rockaway (S) is already fully outdoors and there are no revenue express tracks along the Rockaway Line.

Why would you wanna include the (W)? No CBTC on the Broadway line 

the (B)? It is peak hours to the Bronx, then local from 145th to 34th St, then express the rest of the way. 

the (G) isn’t an express train no matter what track it’s using. 

but remember: it’s up to the DOS & RTO to assign cars to where and what date to start. It could be tomorrow morning or Tuesday or Wednesday or Thursday or Friday for all we know. If they do start running, do this and run them back to back or run it as a follower: 3 trains of R179, 1 R46, 1 R179, 1 R211T (1trip) , 2 R179, 1 R46, 2 R179, 1 R211T (1roundtrip), 2 R179 & 1 R46. Mix it up a lil bit, and see how it goes from here on out. 

Edited by FLX9304

I want the 211T to have a successful trial. The MTA needs to see how things go in actual passenger operations to see where adjustments need to be made. So, cheers to the 211T, and I look forward to seeing and hearing about its service.

On 1/20/2024 at 2:23 PM, subwaycommuter1983 said:

It will be a huge waste of money if both open gangway trains are placed on the C.

The C doesn't have the ridership that the A, E, and F trains have.

That’s what I was telling many people in YouTube about the C. Yep you are correct they don’t have enough ridership. It would make sense if it goes to either the A E or F since doesn’t lines have the highest ridership. 

3 hours ago, subway guy said:

I want the 211T to have a successful trial. The MTA needs to see how things go in actual passenger operations to see where adjustments need to be made. So, cheers to the 211T, and I look forward to seeing and hearing about its service.

Let's not get excited.

The fact that the open gangway trains are only going to run on a subway line that doesn't have high ridership is a huge setback and defeats the purpose of having open gangway trains.

It is also an indication that moving forward the MTA will only stick to purchasing standard trains.

3 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Let's not get excited.

The fact that the open gangway trains are only going to run on a subway line that doesn't have high ridership is a huge setback and defeats the purpose of having open gangway trains.

It is also an indication that moving forward the MTA will only stick to purchasing standard trains.

14 minutes ago, Transit Fans said:

That’s what I was telling many people in YouTube about the C. Yep you are correct they don’t have enough ridership. It would make sense if it goes to either the A E or F since doesn’t lines have the highest ridership. 

Let’s take a step back here guys, they never said it’d stay on the C, it’s just being tested there for now. We still don’t know much of anything regarding it’s future car assignments.

Prototype trains, Kamen Rider has mentioned this on numerous occasions, they are prototype trains. Changes could happen later on in the future where productions sets from option 2 (if chosen) of the open gangway will have no issues of running at all. They could also easily pull an R110 and just completely get rid of it entirely focusing on the R211A's.

Right now, they can only run on the local tracks and only on the (C) line, any GO's or reroutes forces the R211T's to go out of service if it's affected. I'm not going to make any speculations on whether or not the R211T is allowed to reroute to other lines such as 6 Av for example. Probably for the better to not give myself a headache and probably make myself look like an idiot.

2 hours ago, Vulturious said:

Right now, they can only run on the local tracks and only on the (C) line, any GO's or reroutes forces the R211T's to go out of service if it's affected. I'm not going to make any speculations on whether or not the R211T is allowed to reroute to other lines such as 6 Av for example. Probably for the better to not give myself a headache and probably make myself look like an idiot.

I imagine that would be up to the RCC (a "game time" decision if you will) though I'd imagine if it wasn't allowed to run on 6th they would have also mentioned that in the memo

Okay, let's look at this from a standpoint of basic logic,

1: they are still based out of Pitkin, as that is the barn with the parts and experience to care for them, and where more testing can be done as needed.

2: Something is preventing them from running express, that smoke detector thing does make a lot of sense, but since I have not spoken to anyone in the know about it yet, I can't get confirmation about it.

If they can't run express, and you want them to still be based at Pitkin... What else is there to do but put them on the C? this also means they can be returned to the yard at night no matter what, no screwing around with the departures to ensure they're both laid up. 

11 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Let's not get excited.

I personally will be and continue to be excited to see how this goes. The MTA is testing it out where they see fit and they need to do their research on them. That's all that matters at this point.

13 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Let's not get excited.

Y'all just makin shit up. HOW is it a setback for it to run on the (C)? The goal is to TEST it to see how it works in the system. Capacity (which is built in, btw) is irrelevant. 

It has to WORK before all else (which I don't see why it won't).

Edited by LTA1992

On 1/21/2024 at 12:25 PM, Nonaggression said:

R211S 105-109 has been bulit

Were these spotted in Nebraska or Yonkers? I've been told 105-109 are at Yonkers and would like to know if this is true or not. 

8 minutes ago, Ale188 said:

I'm happy but also concerned. What happened with 4075-94? Don't they still got flats? I thought they were going to resume after every car is fixed.

As they’re fixing those cars, more new cars are coming in. Lincoln, NE has 124 new cars scheduled for delivery and the (NYCT) does not wanna waste time with delays about certain cars having problems. They can fix those along the way.