R211 Discussion Thread

East New York

They should honestly model what London is doing with their new train too. Both systems are basically in the same stages in creating this new fleet of cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's funny you say this because the two look very much alike...

NTfL%20Exterior%20Outdoor%20Day_021014.j300px-R211_Exterior_Design.jpg

BTW,would anyone know if there is any truth to a Facebook rumor that there will be a 3/4th mock up on public display soon?

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all honestly, I dont see those headlights making it to final production. Each design concept starts out with nontraditional head/taillights. When I was an Intern a long time ago, I asked a few of New Car Engineers why do they keep going back to the traditional round lights? They told me railway regulations.

Such regs aren't in place in other countries

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

In all honestly, I dont see those headlights making it to final production. Each design concept starts out with nontraditional head/taillights. When I was an Intern a long time ago, I asked a few of New Car Engineers why do they keep going back to the traditional round lights? They told me railway regulations.

Such regs aren't in place in other countries

You are correct and I forgot about that. There are a bunch of dumb regulations this country made in the railway industry. Take a look at all new railcars in this country: R179, WMATA 7000s, BART Fleet of the Future, the new ACELA, the new Brightline in Florida, the CTA cars, MiamiDade new cars, and even MBTA, all have the traditional round headlights.

Unfortunately this design is too unrealistic unless something changes in the books.

The front of the R211 will probably just be like the R179 front just with the blue and with the added LCD screens for the route bullet on the side and the destination on top.

the actual R179 or the concept R179? Honestly the concept one doesn't look bad at all.  -_-

104606d1355064969-new-subway-cars-nyct-r

The front of the R211 will probably just be like the R179 front just with the blue and with the added LCD screens for the route bullet on the side and the destination on top.

I think its actually going to be lime its own concept but with traditional headlights. This is the "Next Gen Fleet". Look at the "New Car Fleet" of the 80s compared to the current "New Technology Fleet". The 211 order will be the next evolution.

Edited by Far Rock Depot

You are correct and I forgot about that. There are a bunch of dumb regulations this country made in the railway industry. Take a look at all new railcars in this country: R179, WMATA 7000s, BART Fleet of the Future, the new ACELA, the new Brightline in Florida, the CTA cars, MiamiDade new cars, and even MBTA, all have the traditional round headlights.

Unfortunately this design is too unrealistic unless something changes in the books.

To be fair about the R179s, I don't know if that design really took off yet at that point. Remember that the design was finalized a long time ago, and production delays followed.

Acela and Brightline are the only ones which have onerous federal regulations to follow. Transit agencies can do nearly whatever they want. 

If NYCT wanted to, they could probably order a car without headlights at all! (Not that they would want to.)

Seriously? There's a subway "state of emergency", for which old trains are partly to blame, and now this?!

Yeah, not really sure what's happening there.  The longer they wait, the longer the old trains will have to hang on.

R32 3671, do you have a source to confirm this?  I wouldn't put it past the MTA given how long they've already pushed the award date but just so we know.

I doubt that. The R211 is supposed to be the start of a new generation. So the look must change more than "same bonnet, different color".

Just saw that, thanks.  I must say, why is it taking them so long to review the proposals?  Given the scope of this contract in terms of timing and engineering--along with recent events--you'd think it'd be a fairly clear cut decision.  Bombardier can't be trusted, and the Chinese haven't built anything in the US as of today.

Just saw that, thanks.  I must say, why is it taking them so long to review the proposals?  Given the scope of this contract in terms of timing and engineering--along with recent events--you'd think it'd be a fairly clear cut decision.  Bombardier can't be trusted, and the Chinese haven't built anything in the US as of today.

The design, I would assume. This is supposed to be the next generation car. The culmination of everything learned from the Millennium cars.

They likely want to get it right from the jump.

Edited by LTA1992

i take that screenshot is that the board agendas are out?

Correct. 

I wonder if this has to do with the proposals received for the open gangway cars and not a specific manufacturer's proposal.

EDIT: Or the R211S design is giving them fits... They'll have to have cab signaling and SDO (Selective door opening), perhaps that's giving them trouble.

Edited by Around the Horn

I want everyone to remember the even though the R211 award is delayed until September it is still on track. My last major update post confirmed the program was moving forward, and last week in light of the review, MTA wants to take another month out to evaluate everything. This further makes be think this could be a split award like the R160's. We will wait and see what happens, and I will have another update next month (August) as MTA finalizes all the details and makes a decision.

Note unlike many posts my last post did not have the month of award, and I just said "sooner than later in 2017." This was because I was told the decision was pending for August/September, yet it had not been confirmed. So that was one of those bits of information I wanted to wait until MTA conformed 100% before a posted a new date.

I was asked not to talk about any other details, or discuss the reasons they are actually taking more time to review the proposals. We will be able to get into all the details September and October. So stay tuned guys, and be patient.

I want everyone to remember the even though the R211 award is delayed until September it is still on track. My last major update post confirmed the program was moving forward, and last week in light of the review, MTA wants to take another month out to evaluate everything. This further makes be think this could be a split award like the R160's. We will wait and see what happens, and I will have another update next month (August) as MTA finalizes all the details and makes a decision.

Note unlike many posts my last post did not have the month of award, and I just said "sooner than later in 2017." This was because I was told the decision was pending for August/September, yet it had not been confirmed. So that was one of those bits of information I wanted to wait until MTA conformed 100% before a posted a new date.

I was asked not to talk about any other details, or discuss the reasons they are actually taking more time to review the proposals. We will be able to get into all the details September and October. So stay tuned guys, and be patient.

can you tell us who actually made bids for it? 

can you tell us who actually made bids for it?

I don’t think he can otherwise some company with their lawyers are gonna come knocking on his door and he might end up at the bottom of the Hudson. It might screw up the bidding process but idk.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Edited by danielhg121

I don’t think he can otherwise some company with their lawyers are gonna come knocking on his door and he might end up at the bottom of the Hudson. It might screw up the bidding process but idk.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

woah what is this some mob stuff, but i get it can he atleast give us a clue?

woah what is this some mob stuff, but i get it can he atleast give us a clue?

That's what Non-disclosure means. Not a PEEP. 

At any rate, it's pretty obvious who some of the bidders are:

-Alstom

-Kawasaki

-Bombardier (regardless of the fact that they probably won't get the contract)

-CRRC

-Siemens (maybe)