Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

But with proper communication people can be convinced to warm up to said proposal once they understand it.

Yes i know. I tried to be confident and use my proper communication. Thr proposals i did on my edition of nyc subway map, are coming from my dream. Well, today im still editing it, i added enginerrboy6561's proposal idea, the (X) train that takes almost to anywhere starting from The Bronx. Also i am about to draw the (V) line too, not the (M) since it didnt stop at 2 Av, move the (V) to the second avenue line. Probably when the NYC got enough budget, the MTA workers will revive the (V).

Therefore, let the second avenue line construction worker dig to connect the track to the 2 Av (F)(V) station.

Edited by chenvinny54

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking about making the 5 train a fullyime route by making it run to king plaza by running on flastbush the whole way the stops would be

.flatbush ave and empire

.flatbush ave and wintrop

.flatbush ave and chruch ave

.flatbush ave and beverly rd

.flatbush ave and ave D

.Flatbush ave and nostand

.flatbsuh and kings higway

.flatbush and ave n

.flatbush and ave u kings plaza

I was thinking about making the 5 train a fullyime route by making it run to king plaza by running on flastbush the whole way the stops would be

.flatbush ave and empire

.flatbush ave and wintrop

.flatbush ave and chruch ave

.flatbush ave and beverly rd

.flatbush ave and ave D

.Flatbush ave and nostand

.flatbsuh and kings higway

.flatbush and ave n

.flatbush and ave u kings plaza

So from Atlantic Ave-Barclays the (5) would run on it's own trackage to Empire Blvd and on to Winthrop St and Flatbush Avenue? You do realize the (B) and (Q) lines also run along the same corridor from Atlantic to Parkside Avenue? Where would this (5) have room to operate and construct stations? Wouldn't the line have to run below the Brighton Line from Atlantic Avenue to Empire Blvd because of the existing trackage and the 7th Avenue (B), (Q) stop? What about the Prospect Park (B), (Q), (S) station that's located at Empire and Flatbush? I think your proposal is somewhat problematic without further details. Carry on.

So from Atlantic Ave-Barclays the (5) would run on it's own trackage to Empire Blvd and on to Winthrop St and Flatbush Avenue? You do realize the (B) and (Q) lines also run along the same corridor from Atlantic to Parkside Avenue? Where would this (5) have room to operate and construct stations? Wouldn't the line have to run below the Brighton Line from Atlantic Avenue to Empire Blvd because of the existing trackage and the 7th Avenue (B), (Q) stop? What about the Prospect Park (B), (Q), (S) station that's located at Empire and Flatbush? I think your proposal is somewhat problematic without further details. Carry on.

It is a huge waste of money just like some rail stations that duplicate the subway in south bronx and non transfer points in western queens.

Yes i know. I tried to be confident and use my proper communication. Thr proposals i did on my edition of nyc subway map, are coming from my dream. Well, today im still editing it, i added enginerrboy6561's proposal idea, the (X) train that takes almost to anywhere starting from The Bronx. Also i am about to draw the (V) line too, not the (M) since it didnt stop at 2 Av, move the (V) to the second avenue line. Probably when the NYC got enough budget, the MTA workers will revive the (V).

Therefore, let the second avenue line construction worker dig to connect the track to the 2 Av (F)(V) station.

In order for this X train to have a chance it must be a rail line with frequent service and get's around the subway limitation. Best way to do that is revive it and add the East bronx stations and then the brooklyn stations then as for trains the trains on the line will run as additional New haven and LIRR trains. The lower part sunnyside to bay ridge via middle village will be LIRR trains from different branches with combined 10 minute frequencies or 8 min 6 TPH or more. Then the northern part the hell's gate line will have Metro-north trains to penn or LIC again and with new M9 abilities to run under and over maybe LIRR but that may not be needed. The new havens will have 6 TPH those going to the bronx transfer at sunnyside. 

Here is the easy to understand way:

X line (north) sunnyside to new rochelle and beyond will have metro-north trains.

And X line (south) as in middle village Or sunnyside to bay ridge(via lower montauk to X line) will have LIRR trains serving the corridor transfers will be timed at middle village or sunnyside for those going from brooklyn/queens to the bronx.

Also the stations will have fare gates like the subway so ticket collection will begin when LIRR trains reach sunnyside or jamacia en route to LI. For metro-north after co-op city en route to Connecticut.

Your (V) is simply already on the MTA's books as the (T) .

Edited by Lordsaitamaboss

The b and the Q train are not on flatbush ave when it reach parkside ave its ocean ave and parkside ave its on. its just empire blvd would be the only station they are close to each other thats the only station

The (B) & (Q) both run under Flatbush add soon as they come off the Manny B all the way to Empire. On top of the (2)(3)(4) & (5) aslso running under Flatbush from Fulton to Grand Army Plz/Eastern Pkwy.

The b and the Q train are not on flatbush ave when it reach parkside ave its ocean ave and parkside ave its on. its just empire blvd would be the only station they are close to each other thats the only station

Believe me I know exactly where the Parkside Avenue (Q) station is located ( I grew up in the neighborhood) but I also know that the footprint of a Winthrop St station at Flatbush/ Westbury Court that straddles Flatbush Avenue is still only about a 1/2 block from the Brighton Line at Parkside. We used to throw snowballs at the trains from Westbury Court. I'm more interested in how the ROW of this (5) proposal is going to be laid out from Atlantic Avenue to Empire Blvd and the Prospect Park (B), (Q), (S) station. Remember that the s/b Brighton line passes under the s/b Franklin shuttle track before entering the Prospect Park station.  Any new construction would have to be really deep to pass under the existing tracks. South of that location down to about Beverley Road Flatbush Avenue isn't really that wide so I'd be interested in how this line would be constructed and underpinned. The intersection at Flatbush and Church, with the Dutch Reformed Church on one side and the Erasmus Hall HS site on the other is an historic location in Brooklyn's past which is another concern IMO. That's why I'd like to know a lot more about this proposal. Carry on.

My proposal on how the IND/BMT fleet should be for when the R179's arrive. Note that I spread the R32's and 42's out on some lines fairly.

(A)- R46 & R179 (with the continuous R32/R68 during the PM Rush; one of the R42 sets could be sent here).

(B)- Stays as it's currently is with the R68A and R68 (although maybe a R160 or R46 during the PM rush).

(C)- R160 & 4-car R179. R32's would soon become less common, and it's possible only 1 or 2 sets will be operating.

(D)- Stays as it currently is with the R68's. An R160 in the AM rush, middays, or weekends.

(E)- Stays 100% R160. There could be one R42 set on this line during middays.

(F)- R32, R46, and R160. A few R42's during the AM rush could be a possibility.

(G)- R46 & R160. Some of the R68's currently on here could stay, along with a few 68A's (for the AM & PM rush). 8-car R32's (yes 8-car) for the PM rush.

(J)- R32, R160, & 4-car R179 (with the continuous R143). The R42's could be moved to other lines available for use or be simply scrapped.

(L)- Stays with the R143's and 4-car R160A's currently on here.

(M)- 100% R160's, so in other words it remains as it currently is.

(N)- R68/R68A, all the R160's currently on it, and one R179 during weekends.

(Q)- R68/R68A, and the R160B's. As above, one R179 during weekends.

(R)- R46, R68, and most of the R160's. R179's may eventually operate here, and if so, only during weekends.

(S) Franklin Avenue Shuttle- Remains as it's currently is with the R68's.

(W)- R160, R160B & R179. An R32 and 42 for the AM and PM rush (since it doesn't run through the Montague Tubes), and some R68/R68A during the middays.

(Z)- The same as the (J).

What do you think? I will make one for the R211's soon.

My proposal on how the IND/BMT fleet should be for when the R179's arrive. Note that I spread the R32's and 42's out on some lines fairly.

(R)- R46, R68, and most of the R160's. R179's may eventually operate here, and if so, only during weekends.

R68 (R)? Where do I sign up?

That whine on the 4th Avenue local? Lets go!

My version:

(A) - R68.
(B) - R68/R68A, any spare R160 if necessary.

(C) - R160, R179 (4-car)

(D) - R211.
(E) - R160.
(F) - R211, and spare R160.
(G)- R68/R68A
(J) - R160, R179.

(L) - R143, R160.
(M) - R160,
(N) - R160. R179 (5-car).
(Q) - R160. R179 (5-car).

(R) - R160 from the (F), R211 shared with (F) if necessary.
(S) Franklin Avenue Shuttle - Remains as is, R68.
(W) - R160 and spare R68/R68A.
(Z) - R160 shared with (J).

R32, R42 ,R46 - Withdrawn.

(A)- R46 & R179 (with the continuous R32/R68 during the PM Rush; one of the R42 sets could be sent here).

(B)- Stays as it's currently is with the R68A and R68 (although maybe a R160 or R46 during the PM rush).

(C)- R160 & 4-car R179. R32's would soon become less common, and it's possible only 1 or 2 sets will be operating.

(D)- Stays as it currently is with the R68's. An R160 in the AM rush, middays, or weekends.

(E)- Stays 100% R160. There could be one R42 set on this line during middays.

(F)- R32, R46, and R160. A few R42's during the AM rush could be a possibility.

(G)- R46 & R160. Some of the R68's currently on here could stay, along with a few 68A's (for the AM & PM rush). 8-car R32's (yes 8-car) for the PM rush.

(J)- R32, R160, & 4-car R179 (with the continuous R143). The R42's could be moved to other lines available for use or be simply scrapped.

(L)- Stays with the R143's and 4-car R160A's currently on here.

(M)- 100% R160's, so in other words it remains as it currently is.

(N)- R68/R68A, all the R160's currently on it, and one R179 during weekends.

(Q)- R68/R68A, and the R160B's. As above, one R179 during weekends.

(S) Franklin Avenue Shuttle- Remains as it's currently is with the R68's.

(W)- R160, R160B & R179. An R32 and 42 for the AM and PM rush (since it doesn't run through the Montague Tubes), and some R68/R68A during the middays.

(Z)- The same as the (J).

Spread them out everywhere? Now every maintenance facility has to deal with them!

You do realize the subway can't run share tracks with Metro North or LIRR. The FRA would have a fit

I know which is why subway trains WILL NOT run on the X train ROW only LIRR(south) and MNRR(north) trains with combined frequencies reaching 6TPH or more. Some LIRR Or MNRR or both will link sunnyside to middle village from there LIRR diesels or others would go to bay ridge. The sunnyside to bronx will be MNRR. No subway trains will use that ROW. Only subway there would be subway fare.

Question: What are the worst bottlenecks on the (R) train that make it so unreliable?

Edited by Lordsaitamaboss

I know which is why subway trains WILL NOT run on the X train ROW only LIRR(south) and MNRR(north) trains with combined frequencies reaching 6TPH or more. Some LIRR Or MNRR or both will link sunnyside to middle village from there LIRR diesels or others would go to bay ridge. The sunnyside to bronx will be MNRR. No subway trains will use that ROW. Only subway there would be subway fare.

Question: What are the worst bottlenecks on the (R) train that make it so unreliable?

Turning trains around at 71st Ave delays service

You also have the merge of the (Q) train after 34th street which means the (R) has to sit and wait for the train to pass by.

On the Manhattan bound side you do have the (N)(Q)(R) trains traveling inside the 60th street tunnel and you also have the merge of the (M) train to the local track after Queens Plaza towards Forest Hills.

I am pretty sure there's another one but I can't think of it at the moment.

Edited by NewFlyer 230

Turning trains around at 71st Ave delays service

You also have the merge of the (Q) train after 34th street which means the (R) has to sit and wait for the train to pass by.

On the Manhattan bound side you do have the (N)(Q)(R) trains traveling inside the 60th street tunnel and you also have the merge of the (M) train to the local track after Queens Plaza towards Forest Hills.

I am pretty sure there's another one but I can't think of it at the moment.

More often than not, I see the (N) and (R) screw over the (Q). The Because 34 Street–Herald Square is usually my stop and I go no further, sometimes I’m strolling down the platform and I notice that the (N) I missed at Canal Street has caught up and it gets to leave before the (Q). Common sense is sorely needed. The MTA meet its obligation to skip 4 stops as it advertises, but neglects to make best use of the saved time for the customers.

More often than not, I see the (N) and (R) screw over the (Q). The Because 34 Street–Herald Square is usually my stop and I go no further, sometimes I’m strolling down the platform and I notice that the (N) I missed at Canal Street has caught up and it gets to leave before the (Q). Common sense is sorely needed. The MTA meet its obligation to skip 4 stops as it advertises, but neglects to make best use of the saved time for the customers.

Hence why the express should stay on it's own track and shouldn't interface which lines have similar problems?

Hence why the express should stay on it's own track and shouldn't interface which lines have similar problems?

But it's going to happen eventually anyway. Even if you were to have the (Q) merge with the (N) and (R) north of 57th Street. Astoria needs two services so and express switching to the local is inevitable.

How many trains per hour can run on the Montague street tunnel?

You know it's 30 trains per hour like any other line in theory, dude. You been knew that from the get-go. But you can't run any more than a train every 2 minutes (30 trains per hour). I mean while a train every 2 minutes (30 trains per hour) is possible on paper, there would, without a doubt, be delays since trains are very close to each other. It also depends on how crowded the station is and how much time the train spends in the station, delaying another train immediately right behind the first train. Even when there's no flagging at all, a train every 2 minutes is prone to bunching and delays. As said in another thread, the (MTA) can't possibly control the exact timing of trains here and there.

@RollOver: I don't know why you're getting so upset about something. There's no need to be rude.

As to why the (R) is so slow, it's because the (R) is merge central. It merges with the (N) at Prince St, the (Q) at 34 St-Herald Sq, the (N) and (Q) at the 11th Street cut, and the (M) at Queens Plaza. Adding to that, the (R) runs as frequently as the (C) on a good day, which isn't that great. Then there's the fact that the (R) is a painfully long local route the entire way across.

This is an ongoing problem with the Broadway line as a whole. Because of the way the line was built and is currently set up, the line cannot function without merging. The best way to alleviate this is by running the locals from Queens to Brooklyn via Whitehall and the expresses from the Upper East Side to Brooklyn via the Bridge. Obviously, that's not entirely feasible, so the second best option is the return to the 2004-10 Broadway service.

@RollOver: I don't know why you're getting so upset about something. There's no need to be rude.

As to why the (R) is so slow, it's because the (R) is merge central. It merges with the (N) at Prince St, the (Q) at 34 St-Herald Sq, the (N) and  (Q) at the 11th Street cut, and the (M) at Queens Plaza. Adding to that, the (R) runs as frequently as the (C) on a good day, which isn't that great. Then there's the fact that the (R) is a painfully long local route the entire way across.

This is an ongoing problem with the Broadway line as a whole. Because of the way the line was built and is currently set up, the line cannot function without merging. The best way to alleviate this is by running the locals from Queens to Brooklyn via Whitehall and the expresses from the Upper East Side to Brooklyn via the Bridge. Obviously, that's not entirely feasible, so the second best option is the return to the 2004-10 Broadway service.

That is one thing the SAS will hopefully fix.

If the current lineups are kept otherwise (with the (W) added), then I would have the (R) and (W) on the local track all the way and the (N) on the express through 57th, where it would north of the station merge with the locals for Queens.