Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

No, they are not going to alter the park just to add a new pair of platforms.

The B D are below the Path tunnels and there's no way you are going to remove a fairly useful express run when you have the BDFM making the same stops from 34th to 47th and W4th and B'way-Lafayette. You don't need 14th st, not to mention the F and M are enough.

I'm not even gonna try to understand that G idea.

Ohhh well I tried and I also agree with your second statement, it doesnt make sense to have another 3 consecutive express stops with only one local stop, hell if that was to happen might as well make ALL of the 6th Avenue Line stops interchange stops (note I didnt use express for that)

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Central Park is fine the way it is. The (B) and the (D) already serves Central Park at 59th Street-Columbus Circle. It is redundant to create a new station ruining express runs.

It's impossible to turn 14th Street into a local station anyway. The Sixth Avenue Line used to be a two tracked line when it was built in the 1930's. It was expanded to a four track line (which we see today) in the 1950's. The express tracks dip below the local tracks. It also dips below PATH and the (L). This creates a situation that makes it too difficult to warrant it.

Here is the track map from NYC Subway.com. Notice that the express tracks are dashed which means that it runs underneath the local tracks.

detail-14-28.png

Edited by Roadcruiser1

I would have (L) train stops at 2nd Ave. and Avenue B instead of at 1st and 3rd Aves. 3rd Avenue is a given as it's only a block away from Union Sq., and walking to Alphabet City is a bitch depending on how far in you have to go (good luck if you're going to Ave. D...). Also, when (if) the SAS reaches down there in Phase 3 anyway it would make the 14th St. transfer to the (L) that much easier. Similarly, I would add 2nd Ave. stations to the (F), (N)(Q)(R), (E)(M) and (7) lines. No one's going to want to walk 2 avenues down to the Lexington Ave. stations when the SAS opens, and 2nd Ave. is populated enough to warrant stations too. I doubt those are possible under existing conditions though.

As has been mentioned earlier in this thread I would have stations at 5th Ave. - 63rd St. (F), Union Ave. (J)(M)(Z) (closing Hewes and Lorimer) and 103rd St. (2)(3).

Is a station at Allerton Ave. (5) necessary? It's really close to Gun Hill Rd. as it is. I also don't think it's necessary to add any more 28th St. stations since you're never more than 5 blocks away from a station between 23rd and 34th streets. You don't want too many stops as that just makes commuting slower.

Plus when the (T) SAS reaches 42nd Street, there's gonna be a connection to Grand Central so the (7) stop at 42nd Street is gonna be out of the picture.

It looks like the 14 Street station was designed to be expandable to an express stop. The planners might have fantasized about taking over the PATH tunnels along 6 Avenue and making some changes to enable express trains to stop at 14 Street. Or they could just build a lower level platform and connect them with staircases.

Looks doesn't really mean anything according to the track map.

It looks like the 14 Street station was designed to be expandable to an express stop. The planners might have fantasized about taking over the PATH tunnels along 6 Avenue and making some changes to enable express trains to stop at 14 Street. Or they could just build a lower level platform and connect them with staircases.

Quote from Roadcruiser1:

Looks doesn't really mean anything according to the track map.

In fact, it used to be bigger: http://www.columbia.edu/~brennan/abandoned/14st.html

Edited by Vistausss

This thread is giving me a headache.

First of all, the (B)(D) tracks run under the PATH tracks between 34 and W4, not the (F) tracks. And there was a shell built at 14th St if they ever wanted to make that a stop for those trains. So that's an idea that is actually feasible. And yes, those track maps that constantly get cited on this site are crap. They give a sort of good idea of what the layout is, but the scale is totally off and many of the interlockings are wrong.

As for Central Park West, making express stops at 72, 81, 86 and 96 St???? WHY? The way those stations are built, you wouldn't even be able to transfer between the express and local platforms, so it would be useless as a transfer station. And if your destination is one of those stations, just transfer to the local at 59 or 125. There have been NUMEROUS threads on here about how the local is faster than the express anyway.

As for that reconfiguring the (A)(C)(G) around Barclays.....can anyone else say FANTASY FOAM? I especially like that touch of making the Flatbush station be 3 tracks, to make things even MORE complex.

This thread is giving me a headache.

First of all, the (B)(D) tracks run under the PATH tracks between 34 and W4, not the (F) tracks. And there was a shell built at 14th St if they ever wanted to make that a stop for those trains. So that's an idea that is actually feasible. And yes, those track maps that constantly get cited on this site are crap. They give a sort of good idea of what the layout is, but the scale is totally off and many of the interlockings are wrong.

As for Central Park West, making express stops at 72, 81, 86 and 96 St???? WHY? The way those stations are built, you wouldn't even be able to transfer between the express and local platforms, so it would be useless as a transfer station. And if your destination is one of those stations, just transfer to the local at 59 or 125. There have been NUMEROUS threads on here about how the local is faster than the express anyway.

As for that reconfiguring the (A)(C)(G) around Barclays.....can anyone else say FANTASY FOAM? I especially like that touch of making the Flatbush station be 3 tracks, to make things even MORE complex.

The IND Eight Av express is already slow south of 42nd - do we want to do that to the Sixth Av express, too? (There are only really two stops south of 42nd that the Eighth Av skips, 23rd and Spring, and doing this to the Sixth Av express would mean that there would be a one-stop difference between the Sixth Av local and express, making the express portion basically useless.)

Really, at Barclays you could probably just build a passageway between Fulton St on the (G) and Lafayette on the (C) instead of building an infill station at the most complex point of the subway system. If the people at 42nd and 5th can walk, then the people at Barclays can walk too - it's not like Barclays Center is an incredibly dangerous area.

Infill idea - convert Woodside to a local stop and 74th to an express stop - how many people actually use the (7) - LIRR connection, anyways?

Whenever the money for SAS Phase III falls out of the sky, they should also probably have a stop between 72nd and 55th - that is an awfully long gap, and they could probably change it to 51st and 60th or something.

Infill idea - convert Woodside to a local stop and 74th to an express stop - how many people actually use the (7) - LIRR connection, anyways?

Whenever the money for SAS Phase III falls out of the sky, they should also probably have a stop between 72nd and 55th - that is an awfully long gap, and they could probably change it to 51st and 60th or something.

1. Of course people use it, and I don't think there is enough room to change 74th Street to an express stop anyway. It's similar to the 14th Street situation.

2. Not possible. The track connections to the 63rd Street Tunnel is located around there. So no....

The IND Eight Av express is already slow south of 42nd - do we want to do that to the Sixth Av express, too? (There are only really two stops south of 42nd that the Eighth Av skips, 23rd and Spring, and doing this to the Sixth Av express would mean that there would be a one-stop difference between the Sixth Av local and express, making the express portion basically useless.)

Really, at Barclays you could probably just build a passageway between Fulton St on the (G) and Lafayette on the (C) instead of building an infill station at the most complex point of the subway system. If the people at 42nd and 5th can walk, then the people at Barclays can walk too - it's not like Barclays Center is an incredibly dangerous area.

i do not agree about turning 74th into an express stop. The <7> will be swamped by those getting off the local and those from the IND. if ppl needs the <7> that much, they will transfer at 61st.

The IND designed their lines to carry people from far-flung corners of the 5 boroughs to the central business district. It made sense to skip a lot of stops between the ends of the lines and the central business district, and it made sense to concentrate all the stops everywhere else. Have a look at the Queens Boulevard line and the 8 Avenue line.

The IND designed their lines to carry people from far-flung corners of the 5 boroughs to the central business district. It made sense to skip a lot of stops between the ends of the lines and the central business district, and it made sense to concentrate all the stops everywhere else. Have a look at the Queens Boulevard line and the 8 Avenue line.

And remember Nostrand (A) was supposed to be a bypassed stop as well.