Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

I also think that this is a bad idea because I don't see the point in nearly doubling Nostrand Av service just because some (2) trains are delayed.

You might think differently if you had to wait for a (2) on the weekend on a regular basis

Additionally, having the (3) run a completely different route in Brooklyn on the weekends will confuse the heck out of riders. My solution: have the dispatcher extend a (5) train to Flatbush Av to fill the gap whenever a (2) train is delayed. SIMPLE.

Or just send a (4) down, but it might be a pain to get it back to Utica for its next northbound trip

Honestly I think this is just another example of "My line has _____ problem, so let's extend the __ train to provide service." People sometimes neglect the fact that it's possible to overserve certain lines and be left with empty trains

I know over-serving a line is an issue, but MTA tends not to like performing quick fixes, especially on the weekends. It is as if it is all or nothing: Either let riders twist in the wind whenever their line screws up, or permanently change a service pattern somehow. On the weekends, sending one train down a line that has a gap in service is almost unheard of unless the gap is like more than a half hour, and even then I bet they would do everything in their power not to address it unless trains became dangerously overcrowded due to the service gap

148/145 riders would lose service, but they are closer to other lines than Nostrand Ave riders and those are two stops vs. six Nostrand stops (President does not count for all intents and purposes since it is right next to Nost/EP) that would have better service

I understand the thing about flooding one line with service, but there should be a way to mitigate the effects of the bunching of the weekend (2)

Edited by BrooklynIRT

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is all discounting recovery periods and the reason for this proposal is to improve weekend service on the Nostrand Ave subway, particularly those times that the (2) does not show up for almost 20 minutes, which is something I have noticed on several occasions. The stations along Eastern Pkwy and Livonia east of Franklin would also benefit, but 148 St-Lenox and 145 St along with the (2)(3) stops from 135 St to Franklin Ave would lose out (one less train per hour). Although, the (2)(3) are not all that crowded on the weekends, especially the (3)

64 minutes = scheduled one-way running time for the weekend (3), 128 minutes, round-trip, assuming no recovery time

65 minutes = scheduled one-way running time for the weekend (4), 130 minutes, round-trip, assuming no recovery time

(3) from 148 to Flatbush every 15 minutes instead of 12: Rerouting it to Flatbush means a 5-minute decrease in running time in each direction, 10-minute decrease for a round, resulting in a 118-minute round trip. Currently 128/12 = 10.67 trains on the road, proposed 118/15 = 7.87 trains on the road, effectively 11 trains should be reduced to 8

(4) from Woodlawn to New Lots, local Franklin to New Lots: 12-minute increase in running time in each direction for the Utica to New Lots section plus a 2-minute increase in running time in each direction since it would run local from Franklin to Utica, adds up to an extra 14 minutes one way, 28 minutes for a round trip, resulting in a 158-minute round trip. Currently 130/8 = 16.25 trains on the road, proposed 158/8 = 19.75 trains on the road, effectively 17 trains should be increased to 20. Since the (3) lost 3 trains while the (4) gained 3, this proposal should be cost-neutral

Comments are welcome and anybody who thinks I am off my rocker for posting this can go on ahead and scoff until kingdom come (as has been done before), but it is pretty bad to wait 20 minutes for a (2) train sometimes when the thing is supposed to show up every 12 minutes and I figured I would post this suggestion since others have been trying to figure out how to improve weekend CPW and QB service

Are you suggesting that because a 2 train is occasionally late you would disrupt the 2, 3 ,and 4 lines to rectify a "sometime" problem? I bet if you would post your address in the crew rooms of the affected lines those same crews would be beating a path to your door to show their appreciation. Wow.

This is all discounting recovery periods and the reason for this proposal is to improve weekend service on the Nostrand Ave subway, particularly those times that the (2) does not show up for almost 20 minutes, which is something I have noticed on several occasions. The stations along Eastern Pkwy and Livonia east of Franklin would also benefit, but 148 St-Lenox and 145 St along with the (2)(3) stops from 135 St to Franklin Ave would lose out (one less train per hour). Although, the (2)(3) are not all that crowded on the weekends, especially the (3)

64 minutes = scheduled one-way running time for the weekend (3), 128 minutes, round-trip, assuming no recovery time

65 minutes = scheduled one-way running time for the weekend (4), 130 minutes, round-trip, assuming no recovery time

(3) from 148 to Flatbush every 15 minutes instead of 12: Rerouting it to Flatbush means a 5-minute decrease in running time in each direction, 10-minute decrease for a round, resulting in a 118-minute round trip. Currently 128/12 = 10.67 trains on the road, proposed 118/15 = 7.87 trains on the road, effectively 11 trains should be reduced to 8

(4) from Woodlawn to New Lots, local Franklin to New Lots: 12-minute increase in running time in each direction for the Utica to New Lots section plus a 2-minute increase in running time in each direction since it would run local from Franklin to Utica, adds up to an extra 14 minutes one way, 28 minutes for a round trip, resulting in a 158-minute round trip. Currently 130/8 = 16.25 trains on the road, proposed 158/8 = 19.75 trains on the road, effectively 17 trains should be increased to 20. Since the (3) lost 3 trains while the (4) gained 3, this proposal should be cost-neutral

Comments are welcome and anybody who thinks I am off my rocker for posting this can go on ahead and scoff until kingdom come (as has been done before), but it is pretty bad to wait 20 minutes for a (2) train sometimes when the thing is supposed to show up every 12 minutes and I figured I would post this suggestion since others have been trying to figure out how to improve weekend CPW and QB service

No comment....

You might think differently if you had to wait for a (2) on the weekend on a regular basis
You specifically said that the problem is that (2) trains get delayed. I said that the problem should be solved only when there are delays (dispatcher should extend a (5) to fill the gap), not always be solved regardless of delays (rerouting the (3)). Yes, I understand that it's annoying to wait 12 minutes for the (2), but that's a separate issue entirely.
Or just send a (4) down, but it might be a pain to get it back to Utica for its next northbound trip
I know that people will respond with the usual "Riders need to pay attention and stop being idiots!" argument, but I think that it's easy for us buffs to forget that many people will see a (4) train and assume it's going to Utica.
I know over-serving a line is an issue, but MTA tends not to like performing quick fixes, especially on the weekends. It is as if it is all or nothing: Either let riders twist in the wind whenever their line screws up, or permanently change a service pattern somehow. On the weekends, sending one train down a line that has a gap in service is almost unheard of unless the gap is like more than a half hour, and even then I bet they would do everything in their power not to address it unless trains became dangerously overcrowded due to the service gap
Well, then the MTA should do differently. That's my opinion, and I think it's better than rerouting every single (3) and (4).

Are you suggesting that because a 2 train is occasionally late you would disrupt the 2, 3 ,and 4 lines to rectify a "sometime" problem? I bet if you would post your address in the crew rooms of the affected lines those same crews would be beating a path to your door to show their appreciation. Wow.

Bravo.

This is in a large font only to get everybody's attention. I am not yelling.

Actually I only discounted the recovery times to make the running time calculations easier. I did not mean that there would actually be no recovery time or negligible recovery time. Whatever recovery time there is now would mostly remain the same. My apologies if there was confusion there

Edited by BrooklynIRT

This is in a large font only to get everybody's attention. I am not yelling.

Actually I only discounted the recovery times to make the running time calculations easier. I did not mean that there would actually be no recovery time or negligible recovery time. Whatever recovery time there is now would mostly remain the same. My apologies if there was confusion there

If that would have been in your first post then there wouldn't be any whats? From the Ones who actually move or used to move the trains, just saying...

Edited by RTOMan

Running the (5) to Flatbush on weekends could come at a cost, remember the midday service change that extended the (5) to Flatbush?

midday before

(4) 4-7 minutes

(5) 10 minutes

midday after

(4) 8 minutes

(5) 8 minutes

Weekend idea (5) to Flatbush

Current

(4) 8 minutes

(5) 10-14 minutes

Proposed (option 1)

(4) 10 minutes

(5) 10 minutes

Proposed (option 2)

(4) 12 minutes

(5) 12 minutes

Edited by GreatOne2k

RTOMan: Yep, I should have made that clear in the first post. Let it be known that I do not believe in or have ever believed in zero-recovery periods or other draconian labor rules and the zero-recovery thing was done only to simplify the calculations and nothing more. Again, I apologize sincerely to those who were offended by the confusion

Again I know the service proposal is weird but the (2) bunching up on the weekends is something that almost never stops..every weekend some (2) train has an issue and trains are packed to the gills until the train gets to the Nostrand Ave line when they ain't supposed to be with the follower just 4 minutes away carrying significantly fewer pax when the headway is 12

You absolutely cannot cut the weekend or weekday (4) at all. Too much ridership on Jerome. Very dense area

Edited by BrooklynIRT

Next week you'll have a proposal for sending the 4 to FLA.......

So..do you have any better cost-neutral ideas that might rectify the bunching problems of the (2)? Utica riders would likely make a much bigger deal if the (4) did not stop there than if a 7th Ave Exp/EP Lcl did not stop there and Livonia would have service every 6 minutes while Nostrand would have it every 8 when Nostrand should have more service than Livonia, not vice-versa

Edited by BrooklynIRT

We are now proposing service improvements on every last subway line during the weekends (it feels like that). Where do we live, fantasy land? The MTA doesn't have endless money! Every line has its times where you need to wait 20 minutes (from someone who has been on the (R) dozens of times during the weekends). We need to prioritize what service changes are needed most.

I support this idea just because R62s would run to Flatbush on weekends! :D

R142s on Weekdays, SMEE's on weekends. Nice mix :)

Sorry to burst your bubble, but proposals should not be about railfans seeing what they want to see.

Plus, there have been G.O.'s where (3)'s were sent to Flatbush Av and I believe there will be one this weekend too, so you can see it then.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

Running the (5) to Flatbush on weekends could come at a cost, remember the midday service change that extended the (5) to Flatbush?

midday before

(4) 4-7 minutes

(5) 10 minutes

midday after

(4) 8 minutes

(5) 8 minutes

Current

(4) 8 minutes

(5) 10-14 minutes

Proposed (option 1)

(4) 10 minutes

(5) 10 minutes

Proposed (option 2)

(4) 12 minutes

(5) 12 minutes

But the midday change was a huge help for the FB end because the (2) was so terrible and overcrowded. (5) was such a relief because it 'doubled' service to FB and gave us emptier trains compared to the (2). This was a smart move. As for weekends, I guess there's no need for the (5).

It doesn't make sense to double weekend service on the Nostrand Av Line (whether it's the (3), (4), or (5),) simply because some (2)s are late. I'll say this again.

There's a pattern here: Nostrand Avenue riders think the Nostrand Avenue Line needs more service. CPW riders think the CPW Line needs more service. Brighton riders think the Brighton Line needs more service. 4 Avenue riders think the 4 Avenue line needs more service. The one and only conclusion that I've reached is that nobody wants to wait 10 minutes for a train, but sometimes infrequent service is necessary to match demand.

Edited by TheSubwayStation

midday before

(4) 4-7 minutes

(5) 10 minutes

midday after

(4) 8 minutes

(5) 8 minutes

Current

(4) 8 minutes

(5) 10-14 minutes

Proposed (option 1)

(4) 10 minutes

(5) 10 minutes

Proposed (option 2)

(4) 12 minutes

(5) 12 minutes

As Brooklyn IRT said, cutting the (4) is a HUGE NO-NO due to high ridership on the Jerome El (and it's still increasing).

Increasing weekend (2) service even to 10-min headways could alleviate some crowding...

Sorry to burst your bubble, but proposals should not be about railfans seeing what they want to see.

Plus, there have been G.O.'s where (3)'s were sent to Flatbush Av and I believe there will be one this weekend too, so you can see it then.

I know, that was a light hearted post, don't take it so seriously.

I remember that G.O with the (3) to Flatbush, I fanned it and took a photo of two, it was cool to see 62s in Flatbush Terminal.

midday before

(4) 4-7 minutes

(5) 10 minutes

midday after

(4) 8 minutes

(5) 8 minutes

Why did they add service to the (5)? They could've kept it at 10 minute headways and then cut less service on the (4) (Maybe run it every 6-7 minutes instead of every 8)