Department of Subways - Proposals/Ideas

I'd make 81st Street, Manhattan an express stop, and I will add these following stations:

(A) Beach 49th Street (Queens) Cross Street- Rockaway Freeway

(cool.png  (Q) Neptune Av (Brooklyn) Cross Street- East 12th Street

(D) Avenue V (Brooklyn) Cross Street- Stillwell Avenue

(F) 5th Avenue-63rd Street (Manhattan)

(G) Vernon Boulevard-Jackson Avenue (Queens)

(R) 2nd Street (Brooklyn) Cross Street- 4th Avenue

sorry but 2nd Street is too close to Union,although an  (R) stop at Bergen might work?

You do realize that the post of mine was from 2011.. So at this time I don't think about these ideas anymore

• Replies 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be nice if the (D) could get expanded to Burke Ave for a transfer station with the (2). Besides providing that transfer, it would also be helpful for residents of both neighborhoods to get across the Bronx River without having to go up around Gun Hill Rd, and could also be built as a proper terminal for the (D) to eliminate the relays and crew changes at Bedford Park.

Let's see, the A doesn't go near Wall Street and the T is planed for a station in that area, working title "Seaport"

That and isn't a big complaint of the (A) that it's too long of a ride? Adding an extra stop to the (A) might be convenient for the people in that area but it will drive people from Manhattan->Rockaway and Rockaway->Manhattan nuts.

The (2) and (3) already has a station at Wall Street. There is no need for one along the (A) and (C) line since the Wall Street Station for the (2) and (3) is close by. Plus the approach to the Cranberry Street Tunnels are too steep making it even less possible.

Also I get that he might be new, but stop reactivating old threads. They died for a reason.

Edited by Roadcruiser1

It would be nice if the (D) could get expanded to Burke Ave for a transfer station with the (2). Besides providing that transfer, it would also be helpful for residents of both neighborhoods to get across the Bronx River without having to go up around Gun Hill Rd, and could also be built as a proper terminal for the (D) to eliminate the relays and crew changes at Bedford Park.

I was thinking they should extend the (D) under Gun Hill and connect at both the WPR and Dyre av branches. But I do agree they should never have stopped at just 205th.

Did they stop extending the (D) because they bought the Dyre av branch? I always thought that was why they left the (D) as is. Basically it was extend the (D) or annex the Dyre branch.

The (D) was supposed to run all the way up to Co-Op City back in the 1930 proposal, but it wasn't called Co-Op City back in those days, but an amusement park. That was why the (D) was supposed to run that far. It would have been connected to that park and Orchard Beach which today isn't really connected to mass transit.

Thanks!

It won't work since the (D) is an IND/BMT Line and the (5) is an IRT Line....

Or they could terminate the (5) and let the (D) continue further so that there won't be any merging issues (large platform gaps for the A division cars). That said, I don't see the need to make such a connection and the (D) would be better off on a new row.

And I think on a slope. Better hope the train's breaks are holding strong...

I know but what is wrong with 1 track for each? The (5) track would have IRT specs and the (D) track would have IND/BMT specs. They could lay next to each other just fine.

I think it's best to not have them together. Can't take the chance one of them ends up on the wrong set of tracks. Plus you really need just one of them running anyway.

This isn't possible with the current track layout. The uptown and downtown lines are stacked along the park. There's no way to get the (A) or (D) to stop at 96th.

In other news, my infill stations:

Avenue T (cool.png(Q)

Neptune Ave (cool.png(Q)

3rd St (N)(R)

7th Ave South (C)(E)

Tillary St (F)

Atlantic Ave (F)

Well I was thinking on the (A) and (D) on Central Park West at 96th Street , just dig out part of the wall on the express tracks, add connectors to all platforms, and BAM express station , no switching involved, the only drawback, not a cross-platform interchange.

(B)(D)(F)(M) 14th Street. That station needs to be express... it's jammed.

Flatbush Avenue (downtown brooklyn) and changing of Lafayette Ave

New track layout:

8374320147_c4f2e1b013_b.jpg

Plus a little map of the transferway to Barclays Center

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=209923832874986141145.0004d322a2453d8013b2a&msa=0&ll=40.685799,-73.97717&spn=0.003072,0.005284

This isn't possible with the current track layout. The uptown and downtown lines are stacked along the park. There's no way to get the (A) or (D) to stop at 96th.

In other news, my infill stations:

Avenue T (cool.png(Q)

Neptune Ave (cool.png(Q)

3rd St (N)(R)

7th Ave South (C)(E)

Tillary St (F)

Atlantic Ave (F)

Well I was thinking on the (A) and (D) on Central Park West at 96th Street , just dig out part of the wall on the express tracks, add connectors to all platforms, and BAM express station , no switching involved, the only drawback, not a cross-platform interchange.

I rather build a 28th Street Station along the Eighth Avenue Line. The (C), and (E) would stop here. During late nights the (A), and (E) will stop here.

Problem, the trains are too long to build the station, thats why the subway was even LUCKY to build Beverley Road and Courtelyou Road on the (Q) in Brooklyn , because when the first car on the train hits Courtelyou, the last one is just leaving Beverley. Thats why they cant take that chance on the (C) and (E) since its two local trains, same thing with the (F) and (M) on 6th Avenue.

It looks like the 14 Street station was designed to be expandable to an express stop. The planners might have fantasized about taking over the PATH tunnels along 6 Avenue and making some changes to enable express trains to stop at 14 Street. Or they could just build a lower level platform and connect them with staircases.

No, they are not going to alter the park just to add a new pair of platforms.

Flatbush Avenue (downtown brooklyn) and changing of Lafayette Ave

New track layout:

Plus a little map of the transferway to Barclays Center

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=209923832874986141145.0004d322a2453d8013b2a&msa=0&ll=40.685799,-73.97717&spn=0.003072,0.005284

The B D are below the Path tunnels and there's no way you are going to remove a fairly useful express run when you have the BDFM making the same stops from 34th to 47th and W4th and B'way-Lafayette. You don't need 14th st, not to mention the F and M are enough.

I'm not even gonna try to understand that G idea.

Edited by Grand Concourse