Best/Worst Terminal Thread

pjbr40

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Norwood-205th Street isn't really a terminal. It's the only last stop (Full time) thats not a terminal. Bedford Park Blvd is actually the terminal hence why (D) Train crews always switch at Bedford.

how does that work?

It isn't really that bad. The only thing it lacks is tail tracks and storage...

I just did. If they had built the storage yard at 101st as they had originally planned... If only.. If only many things concerning our transportation system.

Right on the money, both of you.

This way, if the next southbound (R) train is 20 minutes away or so instead of the usual off-peak 10 minute headway, they can pull an (R) train out of the back and press it into service, so that there won't be a gap in northbound service on the line.

I remember I said something like this too in the Proposal Thread lol. You two remember.

the crew is switched at Bedford Park and the new crew takes the train to Norwood, the last stop, and the train goes back in the other direction.

Actually the crew from CI takes it to 205, they take it back down to Bedford where the next crew will take it going down. 

The only crews that doesn't switch at Bedford and takes it all the way down to CI are the 205th Street puts ins (Same vice versa heading to 205th Street deadheading to Concourse). 

Actually the crew from CI takes it to 205, they take it back down to Bedford where the next crew will take it going down.

This.

the crew is switched at Bedford Park and the new crew takes the train to Norwood, the last stop, and the train goes back in the other direction.

Daniel's right... At BPB, the crew is switched on the (D) heading southbound, not northbound, fam....

My picks for best terminals:

-179th (F) because of its capacity

-Stillwell (D)(F)(N)(Q) for its flexibility

-34th Street-Hudson Yards for its speed and quick turnarounds

Worst terminals:

Parkchester between 9am and 1pm (9am to 11am when theres a GO that turns the Parkchester (6) trains at 3rd Avenue)

Parkchester during the PM rush when the NB (6) trains arrive all out of sequence.

71st Avenue (M)(R)

Church Avenue when they send a (G) ahead of a bunch of stacked (F) trains

East 180th Street when they have weekend split GO's involving both the (2) and (5) terminating.

The only crews that doesn't switch at Bedford and takes it all the way down to CI are the 205th Street puts ins (Same vice versa heading to 205th Street deadheading to Concourse). 

I'm aware of this operation (I've heard the emergency brake go off on southbound (D) trains), but as (D) trains continues on in the same direction until Coney, Bedford is not a terminal station for (D) trains  (it indeed is for (B) trains though) - hence I said Norwood was a terminal, as trains do reverse east of the station.

Adding on in general, in my opinion, a "good" terminal functions efficiently, such as relay tracks to reverse trains (and prevent the holding of other trains), and ideally island platforms or divided side platforms (not like the confusing setup at the relay-track-less side-platformed 21st Street/Queensbridge or Flatbush Avenue stations). Also, it is important that the terminal station does not conflict with other lines.

I'm aware of this operation (I've heard the emergency brake go off on southbound (D) trains), but as (D) trains continues on in the same direction until Coney, Bedford is not a terminal station for (D) trains  (it indeed is for (B) trains though) - hence I said Norwood was a terminal, as trains do reverse east of the station.

Adding on in general, in my opinion, a "good" terminal functions efficiently, such as relay tracks to reverse trains (and prevent the holding of other trains), and ideally island platforms or divided side platforms (not like the confusing setup at the relay-track-less side-platformed 21st Street/Queensbridge or Flatbush Avenue stations). Also, it is important that the terminal station does not conflict with other lines.

Bedford is actually the (D) Train Terminal. Employees on here even confirmed in past threads that Norwood-205th Street is the only end of a line last stop thats not a terminal. Thats why they switched crews at Bedford to begin with.

Bedford is actually the (D) Train Terminal. Employees on here even confirmed in past threads that Norwood-205th Street is the only end of a line last stop thats not a terminal. Thats why they switched crews at Bedford to begin with.

I do not think a terminal is necessarily where the T/O and the conductor switch (which usually happens at the end of the line), but if that is the definition per the MTA (and perhaps other transit systems that may utilize switching train crews in the middle of the journey), then I concur.

In my opinion, Broad Street is a good terminal as well - it is efficiently set up.

Best: 179. Most efficient terminal around.

Hudson Yards and Parsons Archer get honorable mention since they can handle a high number of trains, aren't unnecessarily slow, and have tail tracks for storage/relays if a train needs to get out of the way for a while.

Worst: Toss up between 205 (no diamond so everything has to relay, but the crew change is at Bedford Park...not only does it cut down on crew breaks, it adds to the running time for the passengers who get on at 205 and wish to go south),

Parkchester (locals and expresses have to cross each other to relay/go to Pelham or come out of the relay/go express),

145 (if B's stack up to go in the middle, they block C's)

or Flatbush (very slow, tight, limited capacity, long roundabout walks for crews and passengers if they need to go to the other pocket).

145 (if B's stack up to go in the middle, they block C's)

Word. I was on an (A) train that pulled into 125th last Thursday, and I saw a (B) just sitting in the station (completely empty), after we passed a (C) waiting behind it. I'm like, damn, that sucks for those passengers that they can't even get to the station to catch another northbound train.

18th Avenue would have been a better terminal for the (G). Trust me. They should have extend it two stops south to 18th Avenue from the get-go. All they have to do is just add an X diamond switch just south of Ditmas Avenue and another X diamond switch just north of 18th Avenue. I'm not sure if there's a crew room at 18th Avenue, but I hope there is though. This way, Coney Island-bound (F) trains, especially in the height of rush hour and also during middays/evenings, can reliably pass without being interrupted by a (G) train ahead. Not too sure about Manhattan-bound though.

Best:
Euclid
Stillwell

Worst:
Church Ave

168th Street on the (C)? You're kidding?  :mellow:

I think the best terminals are the (F) 179th St. and (D)(F)(N)(Q) Coney Island stations. They have great lay-up tracks and yards that helps them run smoothly.

I think the worst ones only have two-end tracks for more than one subway line: (2)(5) Flatbush Ave. and (N)(Q) Ditmars Blvd. (And let's not even talk about the South Ferry Loop...)

The best is 137 St - City College, 179 St and 34 St - Hudson because they all have the ability to turn trains around without a problem.

The worst is Forest Hills because too many trains are clogging up that terminal which is why QBL is going to shit.

Flatbush Avenue is just downright terrible. If they added a diamond switch crossover at President St, that can take off stress at Flatbush Avenue.

South Ferry loop is just a pain in the a$$. You can only open 5 cars, and if you forget to switch at Rector your fu****.

Brighton Beach is semi-ok, but the (B)'s and (Q)'s interfere way to much with each other there.

Prospect Park is a ok terminal during GO's because (Q)'s and (J)'s can terminate without a problem and not back up the rest of the line.

Hunters Point Avenue is also a good terminal, because it's short and simple. One simple switch, and it can fix up the whole (7) line. Especially when the (7) goes to shit in Queens, it can terminate at HPA and countinue taking people into Queens without a problem.

18th Avenue would have been a better terminal for the (G). Trust me. They should have extend it two stops south to 18th Avenue from the get-go. All they have to do is just add an X diamond switch just south of Ditmas Avenue and another X diamond switch just north of 18th Avenue. I'm not sure if there's a crew room at 18th Avenue, but I hope there is though. This way, Coney Island-bound (F) trains, especially in the height of rush hour and also during middays/evenings, can reliably pass without being interrupted by a (G) train ahead. Not too sure about Manhattan-bound though.

Adding an X diamond switch isn't easy like you make it out to be.

The best is 137 St - City College, 179 St and 34 St - Hudson because they all have the ability to turn trains around without a problem.

The worst is Forest Hills because too many trains are clogging up that terminal which is why QBL is going to shit.

Flatbush Avenue is just downright terrible. If they added a diamond switch crossover at President St, that can take off stress at Flatbush Avenue.

South Ferry loop is just a pain in the a$$. You can only open 5 cars, and if you forget to switch at Rector your fu****.

Brighton Beach is semi-ok, but the (B)'s and (Q)'s interfere way to much with each other there.

Prospect Park is a ok terminal during GO's because (Q)'s and (J)'s can terminate without a problem and not back up the rest of the line.

Hunters Point Avenue is also a good terminal, because it's short and simple. One simple switch, and it can fix up the whole (7) line. Especially when the (7) goes to shit in Queens, it can terminate at HPA and countinue taking people into Queens without a problem.

There are crossovers at President St, but that crossover won't help out with Flatbush Av because the (2)(5) would still need to go to Flatbush. Tail tracks would help out Flatbush a lot.

The (B)(Q) don't interfere with each other at Brighton Beach. The (B) ends at Brighton and relays on the express tracks while the (Q) stays on the local track. They interfere at Prospect Park and DeKalb Av.

There are crossovers at President St, but that crossover won't help out with Flatbush Av because the (2)(5) would still need to go to Flatbush. Tail tracks would help out Flatbush a lot.

The (B)(Q) don't interfere with each other at Brighton Beach. The (B) ends at Brighton and relays on the express tracks while the (Q) stays on the local track. They interfere at Prospect Park and DeKalb Av.

I was just about to say that about the (B)(Q) myself. Now if he was talking 2009-2011 when the (B) went local in Brooklyn due to the Rehab then...

Considering the conductor announces it at Rector (and often Chambers) and the fact that they usually have platform conductors, if you forget to switch there, you're an idiot. 

Archived