Best/Worst Terminal Thread

pjbr40

Let kick up a notch. We talk almost about everything from express to line itself etc. The one thing i haven't seen talk about it terminal. I would like to hear from you which terminal is the best or worst. It can be permanent, temporary or possible temporary. When you are doing temporary, please help us why that was temporary terminal in case we forgot what the reason and how it was done. Also, when doing possible, make sure you know the track layout and switches, so we can see how it possible. 

here mine

I like the 86 Street (R) station. It was temporary because at 95 street, they was working on the crossover track. One side of the platform was used a shuttle run between 86 street and 95 street. The other is the last stop to return back to manhattan. 

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flatbush Av is a poor terminal stepup. I honestly wish they could tear done the entrance that are right behind the tracks and extend the line down Nostrand to a better terminal. 96 St on the 7 Av line is horrible due to the merging and delays that occur when trains terminate there especially the  (2)  (3)

Norwood and 34th St-Hudson are some of the best terminal stations - they have layup tracks so trains about to enter the terminal station do not have to stall and wait for other trains to leave. If only other subway stations were set up in this manner.

Flatbush Av is a poor terminal stepup. I honestly wish they could tear done the entrance that are right behind the tracks and extend the line down Nostrand to a better terminal.

No it isn't. It's the combined rush hour frequencies of the (2) and (5) trains that make it difficult for Flatbush to handle all of them, which is why some have to go to Utica/New Lots during that timeframe. Even Utica often has that problem with the combined frequencies of the (4) and some of the (5) trains heading down there.

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to add that what I love the most about Jamaica Center on the (E) train platform is that the tracks east of the station extend for about three train lengths before ending at bumper blocks in both directions. Therefore, six (E) trains can be stored at the back during middays until the PM Rush. Flatbush Avenue should have been too.

IMO the worst terminal is Forest Hills 71st Ave takes to long to turn around trains because two subway lines. Best terminal should be 179th st 4 tracks one subway line (not counting the (E) during rush hours) less stress. Even though laying up trains can be a disaster.

Norwood and 34th St-Hudson are some of the best terminal stations - they have layup tracks so trains about to enter the terminal station do not have to stall and wait for other trains to leave. If only other subway stations were set up in this manner.

Norwood-205th Street isn't really a terminal. It's the only last stop (Full time) thats not a terminal. Bedford Park Blvd is actually the terminal hence why (D) Train crews always switch at Bedford.

Favorite Terminals

Bedford Park Blvd (B)(D)

242nd Street (1)

Astoria-Ditmars Blvd (N)(Q) 

Coney Island (D)(F)(N)(Q)

Harlem-148th Street (3)

Woodlawn (4)

Least Favorite Terminals

Flatbush Avenue 

Forest Hills-71st Avenue

Jamaica Center

34th Street-Herald Square (6th Avenue Side)

179 street is the best terminal in my opinion.

179 is definitely one of, if not the best. It's capacity for turning trains is unparalleled. 

IMO the worst terminal is Forest Hills 71st Ave takes to long to turn around trains because two subway lines. 

Have to agree on this. The problem is there's only one track for trains to enter on. Clearing the train before turning or heading to the yard takes too long which has the propensity to muck up the works up and down queens blvd. 

Of course though, that Jamaica Center on the (E) and Flatbush Avenue on the (2)(5) were never meant to be designed as terminals, which is why the diamond X switch is located midway between Sutphin-JFK and Jamaica Center on the (E). It should have been right directly before Jamaica Center though (like 34th Street-Hudson Yards on the (7)) and it would have been a much better terminal along with the tail tracks east of the station that can accommodate three train lengths in each of the two directions. There would have been no need for any (E) trains to or from 179th Street. I don't think the Archer Avenue Line should have been provisioned for an extension either as long as the buses in the area are able to handle the residents from the outer areas of eastern Queens.

As for Flatbush Avenue, unless I'm mistaken, capacity at Flatbush Avenue is limited by not only the high rush hour frequencies on the 2/5 combined, but also Nostrand Junction, where the (5) has to cross over to and from the local track, delaying all other trains behind. The junction can't handle the high numbe of trains either, specifically the ones trying to get to and from the Nostrand Avenue Line. Think about it. Plus, Flatbush Avenue has no tail tracks. All it does is end at bumper blocks to the south.

179 Street by a landslide...

I went there one weekend when both the (F) and (R) terminated there. It worked like clockwork.

(F) 's relayed on the upper level with (R) 's relaying on the lower level.

I'd consider making this permanent and have only the (M) terminate at Forest Hills.

Not during Rush Hours or even Middays to begin with. You already have those (E) Trains that goes to/from 179th Street during the Rush and the (F) runs like water during those hours. Now if you were saying Weekends then yes it could work.

Flatbush Av is a poor terminal stepup. I honestly wish they could tear done the entrance that are right behind the tracks and extend the line down Nostrand to a better terminal. 96 St on the 7 Av line is horrible due to the merging and delays that occur when trains terminate there especially the  (2)  (3).

So no wonder why there some (2) trains go to New Lots.

Actually...

Just a month ago, I rode a (2) train that was heading to New Lots Avenue while on a school trip.

Not during Rush Hours or even Middays to begin with. You already have those (E) Trains that goes to/from 179th Street during the Rush and the (F) runs like water during those hours. Now if you were saying Weekends then yes it could work.

179 has the theoretical capacity to turn 63 trains an hour. You could extend the R there full time no problem. Even at it's peak I the F is only running 15, and the R 10. 

179 has the theoretical capacity to turn 63 trains an hour. You could extend the R there full time no problem. Even at it's peak I the F is only running 15, and the R 10. 

(F) is 18 and plus if that were the case, they would've just let the (E) this week still has it's Rush Hour put ins/dropouts at 179th Street and not turn every other rush hour (F) at Parsons (This week G.O). Idk where you got 63 from but thats just exaggerating right there .

Of course though, that Jamaica Center on the (E) and Flatbush Avenue on the (2)(5) were never meant to be designed as terminals, which is why the diamond X switch is located midway between Sutphin-JFK and Jamaica Center on the (E). It should have been right directly before Jamaica Center though (like 34th Street-Hudson Yards on the (7)) and it would have been a much better terminal along with the tail tracks east of the station that can accommodate three train lengths in each of the two directions. There would have been no need for any (E) trains to or from 179th Street. I don't think the Archer Avenue Line should have been provisioned for an extension either as long as the buses in the area are able to handle the residents from the outer areas of eastern Queens.

As for Flatbush Avenue, unless I'm mistaken, capacity at Flatbush Avenue is limited by not only the high rush hour frequencies on the 2/5 combined, but also Nostrand Junction, where the (5) has to cross over to and from the local track, delaying all other trains behind. The junction can't handle the high numbe of trains either, specifically the ones trying to get to and from the Nostrand Avenue Line. Think about it. Plus, Flatbush Avenue has no tail tracks. All it does is end at bumper blocks to the south.

Unrelated, but the buses are really not able to handle the load. It's so bad that there is also frequent jitney service competing (and making money while doing so). Forcing everyone to go to Jamaica necessitates very expensive, peak-heavy bus operations that run into congestion issues in Jamaica itself and thus end up being even more expensive, reducing how much service you can actually operate. A subway line would be able to handle the ups and downs of peak travel demand much better and allow for redeployed, more efficient bus service.

Flatbush is constrained by the lack of tail tracks. However, if you extended some tail tracks south, you'd just move the problem up to the next bottleneck at Nostrand Junction.

(F) is 18 and plus if that were the case, they would've just let the (E) this week still has it's Rush Hour put ins/dropouts at 179th Street and not turn every other rush hour (F) at Parsons (This week G.O). Idk where you got 63 from but thats just exaggerating right there .

The (F) does not run 18. It's an 15/15 split, and 3 of the (E)s go to 179th because Parsons can only handle 12.

Unrelated, but the buses are really not able to handle the load. It's so bad that there is also frequent jitney service competing (and making money while doing so). Forcing everyone to go to Jamaica necessitates very expensive, peak-heavy bus operations that run into congestion issues in Jamaica itself and thus end up being even more expensive, reducing how much service you can actually operate. A subway line would be able to handle the ups and downs of peak travel demand much better and allow for redeployed, more efficient bus service.

Flatbush is constrained by the lack of tail tracks. However, if you extended some tail tracks south, you'd just move the problem up to the next bottleneck at Nostrand Junction.

The (F) does not run 18. It's an 15/15 split, and 3 of the (E)s go to 179th because Parsons can only handle 12.

It's 18 as of recent pick. They added 3 more PM Rush Hour (F) Trains this winter. And I said the (E) to 179th Street wasn't happening this week due to a G.O. I never said it went to 179 because of a G.O.

Its 63 if both levels are in operation and as many as 80 with out any fumigation and both levels in operation. That number is significantly less(probably around 50) due to the MTA's fumigation rules.

The Parsons GO (although 179 is being worked on) is not happening because of 179. One level could theoretically handle all currently scheduled trains. They just don't want to have to use the switches @169 as much as they would have to accomplish this feat. Also if the switch fails, a train on that track is effectively stranded.

This GO is all about covering their ass so something like that doesn't happen.

I agree with bobthepanda. I don't believe Daniel The Cool either. It's 15 tph on the (E) and (F) respectively. Meaning a train every 2 minutes and nothing more than that.

Now my question is how is it possible to run a train more than 2 minutes apart? Impossible.

179 street is the best terminal in my opinion.

179 is definitely one of, if not the best. It's capacity for turning trains is unparalleled.

179 Street by a landslide...

Read the thread title & w/o hesitation...

....I came in here just to say 179th (F) is the best subway terminal w/o a shadow of a doubt..... For the same reason itmaybeokay states.

It's one of the saving graces of the entire line if you ask me...

======================

If I had to say a worst, I'd probably agree with 71st-Continental.... Even as a kid, there was just something about that station I was never fond of.... And it wasn't just those ugly colored sea green painted I-beams either...

I don't particularly care for Church av (G) as a terminal either, but it's a million times better than Smith/9th was....

Archived