ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

On 8/19/2019 at 6:55 PM, MarkGuy said:

Today overall was pretty interesting. The people who did our orientation were damn funny. Especially the one who did the security awareness seminar!

yea that guy was funny.

I think the 401/457 is a waste. Id rather take the money and invest it myself. U cant even collect it til ur 62 or 63. 

Disappointed about the tier 6 pension plan, it sucks. That 15k cap OT towards pension is ridiculous. u can only retire with around 45k as pension after 25 yrs if ur planing on staying as TO. hoping our union fights to get the same benefits as tier 4. Im thinkin about joining PD after a year (after probation), cuz they dont have that crazy cap towards pension. The job, the pay, and the people are all great, but that pension is killing it for me. I really want to stay. just hoping they change that b4 i leave. i dont care about the 3-6 percent contribution, TAKE IT, but dont mess with the pension payout.

21 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

Likewise I got the b div like I wanted with quite a few spots before it closed up. They teased that the a is a lot easier (and to an extent that’s right).

Buut the Sups conveniently left out that the A also has more signals to learn and (if what’s said here is true) a much stricter work environment.

anyways let’s all win it! Btw a tss told me today he’s teaching a September class. Just thought you guys would like to know.

I dont think div B has less signals than A. It has to be the same. the book may say that but i think u will still learn em.

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, adam223 said:

yea that guy was funny.

I think the 401/457 is a waste. Id rather take the money and invest it myself. U cant even collect it til ur 62 or 63. 

Disappointed about the tier 6 pension plan, it sucks. That 15k cap OT towards pension is ridiculous. u can only retire with around 45k as pension after 25 yrs if ur planing on staying as TO. hoping our union fights to get the same benefits as tier 4. Im thinkin about joining PD after a year (after probation), cuz they dont have that crazy cap towards pension. The job, the pay, and the people are all great, but that pension is killing it for me. I really want to stay. just hoping they change that b4 i leave. i dont care about the 3-6 percent contribution, TAKE IT, but dont mess with the pension payout.

I dont think div B has less signals than A. It has to be the same. the book may say that but i think u will still learn em.

Then idk why the book would say that if it wasn’t the case ave cause more confusion. Even the signal guide mentions a div only signals 

9 minutes ago, MarkGuy said:

Then idk why the book would say that if it wasn’t the case ave cause more confusion. Even the signal guide mentions a div only signals 

Those are old signals. Everything has been streamlined and all the signals are the same now. Only difference is which side of the track the stop arm is on.

8 minutes ago, Jay-Oh said:

You’ll find that a lot of material is not up to date.

Some of The signals on the rule book are written in an almost contradictory way, book. I’m personally finding the guide much easier to absorb then with. So do we still have to moonrise those obsolete signals then?

7 hours ago, MarkGuy said:

Some of The signals on the rule book are written in an almost contradictory way, book. I’m personally finding the guide much easier to absorb then with. So do we still have to moonrise those obsolete signals then?

You will see that as you go learning the signals with your instructors, some of the stuff in the guide will change too. A sentence added here, a sentence removed there, a word here and there. The guide is not the absolute. The rule book is the Bible. If u follow the rule book u can never be wrong as long as u can show the rule u followed. U can say "as per rule x.xx(x) I did the following in accordance with the instructions in the rule book" and it will absolve u as oppose to saying "oh the signal guide said this so that's what I did" 

Edited by acabral136

1 hour ago, acabral136 said:

You will see that as you go learning the signals with your instructors, some of the stuff in the guide will change too. A sentence added here, a sentence removed there, a word here and there. The guide is not the absolute. The rule book is the Bible. If u follow the rule book u can never be wrong as long as u can show the rule u followed. U can say "as per rule x.xx(x) I did the following in accordance with the instructions in the rule book" and it will absolve u as oppose to saying "oh the signal guide said this so that's what I did" 

Hmm. A tss I asked said I could use either one regarding signals. Though she isn’t one of my class tss’es.  

On 8/17/2019 at 10:19 AM, Andres718 said:

According to the dcas site, they called for certification up to *1947 and it’s been that way for around 5 to 6 months. I’ve checked pretty much every Sunday, since according to the recording that’s when they update the list. Though another person said they update/hire every quarter so not really sure what to make of it. In any case I myself am 20**, I was hoping to be called atleast for initial screening before the year was out but it’s looking kinda bleak. Also remember they call you on average 3 times for PE before potentially being sworn in. So we have a ways to go 😕 . Stay strong brotha! 

Hi, I'm also in the 2000s and hoping to get called for PE by the end of 2020. what is PE exactly. What documentation do I need to have ready for it?  Thanks

Old School IRT signals been phased out for a while now, only few more signals you will be learning for A Division are the Gap Filler Signals. Depending on your instructors some may prefer the guide or rulebook which may differentiate. 

Gap Filler Signal: Rulebook & Signal Guide, major difference! Some might say both is okay but its better to go for the rulebook which is very direct & clear.

gf

gf guide

22 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Old School IRT signals been phased out for a while now, only few more signals you will be learning for A Division are the Gap Filler Signals. Depending on your instructors some may prefer the guide or rulebook which may differentiate. 

Gap Filler Signal: Rulebook & Signal Guide, major difference! Some might say both is okay but its better to go for the rulebook which is very direct & clear.

gf

gf guide

Anyplace to buy the rule book? Just to try and stay ahead of the game?

4 hours ago, Schecter said:

No it's good so when you start you'll know a little something but from what I'm hearing is that you need to know the definitions fully word for word

Some one posted that a tss said he was teachings class in September anymore update on it 

Has anyone here from list number 110X and beyond, received a rule 4.7.1 (c) letter (1in 3 rule) in the mail? Took my PE May 24th...told to wait for medical.... received letter yesterday August 22nd....Has an X marked by #2....which states "you were considered and not selected for appointment in accordance with rule 4.7.1 (c), of the Rules and Regulations of New York City personnel director".... it further states that if an X is marked by the #2....it is only at the agency's request that I can be recertified to the agency again.

I cant understand why this decision could not be made during or before the PE stage...I have plead guilty to numerous tickets as they advised this position has NOTHING to do with drivers license but that they still required me to have nothing pending...so like most would to invest in this opportunity I plead guilty, paid over 800 dollars in total to abide by their policy...only to be told I'm not selected....now I cant get a driving job if my life depended on it which was my profession all of my life....its absurd and very upsetting. It feels very wrongful. I've invested DEEPLY to pursue this position, for this level of disregard. They've seriously interrupted my life and ability to feed my family behind that. ridiculous.

4 hours ago, Chase101 said:

Has anyone here from list number 110X and beyond, received a rule 4.7.1 (c) letter (1in 3 rule) in the mail? Took my PE May 24th...told to wait for medical.... received letter yesterday August 22nd....Has an X marked by #2....which states "you were considered and not selected for appointment in accordance with rule 4.7.1 (c), of the Rules and Regulations of New York City personnel director".... it further states that if an X is marked by the #2....it is only at the agency's request that I can be recertified to the agency again.

I cant understand why this decision could not be made during or before the PE stage...I have plead guilty to numerous tickets as they advised this position has NOTHING to do with drivers license but that they still required me to have nothing pending...so like most would to invest in this opportunity I plead guilty, paid over 800 dollars in total to abide by their policy...only to be told I'm not selected....now I cant get a driving job if my life depended on it which was my profession all of my life....its absurd and very upsetting. It feels very wrongful. I've invested DEEPLY to pursue this position, for this level of disregard. They've seriously interrupted my life and ability to feed my family behind that. ridiculous.

Sorry to hear about this. Ouch. As they say though, one door closes and another one opens. Do you think they sent the letter because they believe your tickets indicate you will become an unsafe train operator?