FINALLY! Citywide combination bus AND subway map!

Eric B

https://medium.com/@anthonydenaro/mapping-nyc-transit-all-of-it-e16e76a95a0e#.2sffrajvv

Been wanting something like this for the longest. Even uses the separate line drawings like Vignelli and KICK. Only thing; I think he should have done the subway lines at least in the colors. (Also, I don't think he had to make the (A) to JFK and the (Z) as separate lines).

Might be hard to read the entire one on the screen, but this would at least be good for the station wall maps.

Told the KICK guy about this, and he's apparently coming out with one as well.

A City bus map that doesn't include Staten Island...

Side note: It's always been possible to portray information like this, but usually that means in real life you'll wind up with an 8'x8' poster or something ridiculous. The subway map is already what, 4' x 5'? It's not very practical.

A City bus map that doesn't include Staten Island...

Side note: It's always been possible to portray information like this, but usually that means in real life you'll wind up with an 8'x8' poster or something ridiculous. The subway map is already what, 4' x 5'? It's not very practical.

Couldn't they technically have one side for the subway, and one side for staten island. Now, I know what now the rail map would be displaced. Maybe the rail map can be on its own map.

Couldn't they technically have one side for the subway, and one side for staten island. Now, I know what now the rail map would be displaced. Maybe the rail map can be on its own map.

It's not about including Staten Island, it's about how far you have to zoom in to see the damn thing. If you blow up this map to a human readable size, it'd be too big.

In theory, it's a good concept....

In actuality though, it (resembles) an unorganized clusterf**k.... an absolute eyesore.... Don't favor this at all.

The way the two (bus/subway lines) are depicted on the current bus maps should be as far as any combination of sorts on one map goes.....

Let's split this into two parts:

In theory, it's a good concept....

In actuality though, it (resembles) an unorganized clusterf**k.... an absolute eyesore.... Don't favor this at all.

Agree with you there. This particular map is a mess.

The way the two (bus/subway lines) are depicted on the current bus maps should be as far as any combination of sorts on one map goes.....

While I agree with your first statement, this one I'm iffy on. We've had many discussions about the bus maps (in particular the use of the colors) however we've never really talked about the way subways are shown.

I really don't like the way that all subways are grey lines and that the only way to follow the route of a service is to check each station name for a really small circle with an equally small letter in it. I would prefer a map that included the colors of the subway lines, instead of just grey but also in a way that does not distract from the bus lines. For example, the CTA map (http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/brochures/ctaSystemMapBrochure.pdf) does a good job of accomplishing this (and its includes the names and statuses of alternate exits!)

Let's split this into two parts:

Agree with you there. This particular map is a mess.

While I agree with your first statement, this one I'm iffy on. We've had many discussions about the bus maps (in particular the use of the colors) however we've never really talked about the way subways are shown.

I really don't like the way that all subways are grey lines and that the only way to follow the route of a service is to check each station name for a really small circle with an equally small letter in it. I would prefer a map that included the colors of the subway lines, instead of just grey but also in a way that does not distract from the bus lines. For example, the CTA map (http://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/brochures/ctaSystemMapBrochure.pdf) does a good job of accomplishing this (and its includes the names and statuses of alternate exits!)

The current depiction of the subway lines of the bus maps doesn't bother me at all.... For what you're describing what you'd prefer, it would be just as much of a clusterf**k as the map(s) in the OP, AFAIC.... The difference being that everything (referring to the bus & subway lines on the same map) is in color, compared to everything being in gray...

The Chicago map there.... It would be akin to if our subway maps were to grayscale the bus routes...

No express buses, boo!! ( :P)

In all seriousness, this is an interesting concept, but had to be a bitch to work with (and likely so given how the guy mentioned it). IDK if he could have still colored the subway lines in though, but maybe in light/faded colors.

They cost $6.50, boo! |:-P

Until unlimiteds have an addendum that allows for express bus use, including them would clutter the map much like they clutter the map.

The coaches are underutilized and inefficient. I don't rely on them anymore. $6 can get you from Suffern to Stamford and $6.50 can't even get me from Midtown to Eltingville without a snag.

This is why I'd rather take the (R) then the S79 to Eltingville instead. Yup, it's a longer trip but planning ahead is second nature to me.

Sent from my m8 using Tapatalk

This is why I'd rather take the (R) then the S79 to Eltingville instead. Yup, it's a longer trip but planning ahead is second nature to me.

Lucky you for having the flexibility to be able to take the slower method. If you're bouncing around between two jobs or between a job and school with set schedules (or if you're just really tired and need the extra sleep), you're pretty much forced to take the express bus, even if you don't like the higher fare. 

Should post this. Here we see the buses fit nice on a moderate scale map. And in different colors, as well! (and with space to spare, for the separate line route drawings).

86977b1298d6eb22870971800b6f9fda.jpg

Hey. It finally fixes my pet peeve about how The Map shows the (L) in Williamsburg...

This is what I was thinking about when referring to the Chicago map...

Should post this. Here we see the buses fit nice on a moderate scale map. And in different colors, as well! (and with space to spare, for the separate line route drawings).

86977b1298d6eb22870971800b6f9fda.jpg

See guys? It most definitely is doable.

They cost $6.50, boo! |:-P

Until unlimiteds have an addendum that allows for express bus use, including them would clutter the map much like they clutter the map.

The coaches are underutilized and inefficient. I don't rely on them anymore. $6 can get you from Suffern to Stamford and $6.50 can't even get me from Midtown to Eltingville without a snag.

I don't know what you're talking about, but there already is an unlimited card for the express bus. The Express Bus Plus card is $57.25 per week, and can also be used on the local buses and subways. That is is more than fair. I use the express bus almost daily and if I were paying using a pay-per-ride, the cost would easily be double that per week.

This is what I was thinking about when referring to the Chicago map...

I wouldn't have known.....

I didn't quite get what you were trying to get at by posting that Chicago map; the bus routes within city limits are all gray...

(the ones in that faded purple or w/e are of those that leave city limits, or strictly run outside of city limits - Much like how all the NICE routes are skyblue on the Queens bus map.... It's not an attempt of color variance of the routes within the city, like that of our bus maps)

That kind of scale would probably work for one borough, but not as a citywide "one map to rule them all" as the person in the linked Medium post is suggesting.

Good thing I opened this 3rd page in a separate tab before I hit the post button.... Saved me a couple lengthy paragraphs....

The lines in his maps (Mr. Denaro) for the buses & subways are too thick to pull off in color (even in grayscale, it looks a hot mess)... I don't see it working for one borough even - Even if we take Queens (for example) where the subway system isn't nearly as expansive/spread out like in the Bronx or Brooklyn.....

The major difference between those maps (in the medium post; Mr. Denaro) & the map snippet Eric posted, are the line thicknesses....

I still want to get around to creating a 5-borough bus map of all my ideas shown on them (merging those blank borough bus maps that were carved out a couple years back).... But that's the extent of it.... I mean, we obviously have a 5 borough subway map, but a transit map (a combined bus & subway map) for the whole city? I can't say I have one iota of eagerness for something like that - colorized or not.....

More power to the guy to attempt at least the grayscaled version though

That scale isn't that different from the regular Map. Maybe slightly bigger.

And look at how tiny the font is, in the full-size image. If you wanted the smallest fonts in that to be at some barely-readable type, like, say, 8pt, you'd need to blow it up at least two or three times. A good transit map should be readable without a magnifying glass, particularly for the elderly and those with sight problems.

Archived