OMNY Implementation/Metro-Card Retirement Discussion Thread

Lawrence St

On 7/26/2023 at 11:40 PM, 7-express said:

Some more recent OMNY news here: https://www.amny.com/transit/mta-billionth-tap-transit-omny/

Interestingly the number of OMNY users on buses seems stubbornly low versus the subway.

Because there is barely any incentive.
1) All-door boarding still hasn’t started. There’s nothing like getting on a “packed” bus with plenty of standing room beyond the rear door but can’t get back there because of aisle cloggers. It’s worse getting flagged by those buses.

2)  Can’t transfer to/from Beeline and NICE.

3) Can’t use on Airtrain or PATH. (Bus riders are probably more likely to transfer to other modes of transit which use metrocard)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

Are any of these systems going to accept OMNY is the future?

YES the Beeline and NICE they will accept it.  I have called the Beeline and they said "it might" be this fall but it can be next year 2024 but definitely 2025 when the Metro Card are retired.  As for the NICE bus yes they will accept it but not now and just like the Beeline they will have to wait for the MTA for implement it.  I guess when it is almost the full rollout then they will be all implemented.  As for the Airtrain to JFK they said yes they will implement this fall I think when it is before Thanksgiving if I remember correct. As for the Path they will not use OMNY.  I guess they will use something equivalent.  I just went to the NICE bus to see if there any update regarding OMNY and no they did not have any updates BUT the fare increase will be update obviously.

Below is from the NICE bus website https://www.nicebus.com/Passenger-Information/Fares-Passes

FARES AND PASSES

IMPORTANT: NEW FARES GO INTO EFFECT ON AUGUST, 20TH AS FOLLOWS: SINGLE FULL FARE RIDE INCREASES TO $2.90 SINGLE SENIOR FARE RIDE INCREASES TO $1.45 SINGLE DISABLED FARE RIDE INCREASE TO $1.45 STUDENT AND CHILDRENS' FARES DO NOT CHANGE. OMNY FARE PAYMENT IS NOT CURRENTLY ACCEPTED ON NICE BUSES. PLEASE USE CASH, METRO CARDS OR GOMOBILE TO PAY YOUR FARE.

I think OMNY machines are starting to coming to the Subway stations now.  Today while I was coming home from work from Brooklyn and at the Flushing Main Street station there are usually 5 Metro Card machines to right and I think 5 to the left side (I didn't count but I think that is about right).  Then there are 3 small machines to the left and right side I think.  Anyway, I saw there were only 3 Metro Card vending machines (The big vending machines) on the left hand side and on the right hand side there were 3 Metro Card vending machines (Big Vending machines) were taken away and there is an traffic cone blocking the area and it is next to the Metro Vending machines.

Did anyone see there home subway station the Metro Card Machine (Big Vending Machines) being taken away?  I think we can make a list of which station has the OMNY Vending Machines that are installed just like when the OMNY readers were installed at the subway stations.

Edited by mikecintel

1 hour ago, mikecintel said:

I think OMNY machines are starting to coming to the Subway stations now.  Today while I was coming home from work from Brooklyn and at the Flushing Main Street station there are usually 5 Metro Card machines to right and I think 5 to the left side (I didn't count but I think that is about right).  Then there are 3 small machines to the left and right side I think.  Anyway, I saw there were only 3 Metro Card vending machines (The big vending machines) on the left hand side and on the right hand side there were 3 Metro Card vending machines (Big Vending machines) were taken away and there is an traffic cone blocking the area and it is next to the Metro Vending machines.

Did anyone see there home subway station the Metro Card Machine (Big Vending Machines) being taken away?  I think we can make a list of which station has the OMNY Vending Machines that are installed just like when the OMNY readers were installed at the subway stations.

Yep! They're definitely preparing for the rollout of the OMNY vending machines. Probably needed to test it out in a central hub where they see a lot of OMNY usage. 

6 hours ago, danielhg121 said:

Yep! They're definitely preparing for the rollout of the OMNY vending machines. Probably needed to test it out in a central hub where they see a lot of OMNY usage. 

That's great! because I have been wondering when are they going to install the OMNY vending machines.  They said they were going to install in the beginning of June but I didn't see it or they still have to work out with the software glitches on the OMNY vending machines which might be the case.

On 8/10/2023 at 4:22 AM, mikecintel said:

That's great! because I have been wondering when are they going to install the OMNY vending machines.  They said they were going to install in the beginning of June but I didn't see it or they still have to work out with the software glitches on the OMNY vending machines which might be the case.

What percentage of riders will use OMNY machines?  Those who want to pay cash can buy OMNY cards already at vendors throughout the city and those vendors can give actual change. I don’t see a need for machines for OMNY except for entry and exit readers.  I realize the MTA is putting these machines in to replace all the metrocard machines but it seems unnecessary.   Metrocard required prepaid rides and physical cards.  Remember, any prepaid contactless card  will also work with OMNY (Amex, visa, mastercard, discover, etc) that you can pay cash for.  I don’t know what the fee structure is but you would compare them to OMNY’s $5 card fee good for 5 years.  I do see a need for OMNY to allow prepaid rides and unlimited metrocards that one can purchase on their smartphones and other devices.  

My guess is some riders may think you need to buy a physical OMNY card when you don’t and they will generate sales of OMNY cards just by placing the machines.  

13 hours ago, AJ023 said:

What percentage of riders will use OMNY machines?  Those who want to pay cash can buy OMNY cards already at vendors throughout the city and those vendors can give actual change. I don’t see a need for machines for OMNY except for entry and exit readers.  I realize the MTA is putting these machines in to replace all the metrocard machines but it seems unnecessary.   Metrocard required prepaid rides and physical cards.  Remember, any prepaid contactless card  will also work with OMNY (Amex, visa, mastercard, discover, etc) that you can pay cash for.  I don’t know what the fee structure is but you would compare them to OMNY’s $5 card fee good for 5 years.  I do see a need for OMNY to allow prepaid rides and unlimited metrocards that one can purchase on their smartphones and other devices.  

My guess is some riders may think you need to buy a physical OMNY card when you don’t and they will generate sales of OMNY cards just by placing the machines.  

Good Question maybe 70% because people will need to refill there physical OMNY cards.  Especially people who are not tech savvy (computer and smartphones) they would go to OMNY machines.  For elder or seniors who will get the OMNY cards they would go to the OMNY machines to refill the cards (Yes they can go to Walgreens or 7-Eleven or they can go to the OMNY vans when the Metro Card vans will be converted to OMNY I guess).  I see a lot of senior going to the Metro Card machine to refill their cards and they don't go to the Metro Card vans to refill there Metro Cards (Well some do but mostly they go to the Metro card machine). When I go to Walgreens 7-Eleven I don't see people refilling their physical OMNY cards and yes I know people a lot people using their smartphones for OMNY instead of using their credit cards/debit cards.  Elders and seniors who don't like smartphones would want to go to a physical OMNY machine to refill their cards.  Speaking about fees maybe the MTA can "lower" the card fee if people buy from the vending machines so that way more people can to go to the OMNY vending machine to buy it instead of the store or they don't need to add a minimum of $1 like when you purchase in a store right now.  I do see people with physical OMNY cards now maybe not a lot but at least some people are buying physical cards.  I am waiting for the OMNY Vending machine to be installs and I want to know what the fee structure would be.

Not surprised that there will be no student OMNY cards till next year.

https://www.amny.com/news/ask-the-mta-u-s-open-service-ada-improvements-and-student-metrocards/

Q: Will the student MetroCard program be incorporated into the OMNY system? Shawnda W., Longwood

A: Students will be able to tap into the system next year. We are working with our partners at the NYC Department of Education to finish testing and planning. – Jessica Lazarus, Senior Director, Commercial Initiatives

48 minutes ago, 7-express said:

Not surprised that there will be no student OMNY cards till next year.

https://www.amny.com/news/ask-the-mta-u-s-open-service-ada-improvements-and-student-metrocards/

Q: Will the student MetroCard program be incorporated into the OMNY system? Shawnda W., Longwood

A: Students will be able to tap into the system next year. We are working with our partners at the NYC Department of Education to finish testing and planning. – Jessica Lazarus, Senior Director, Commercial Initiatives

Thanks for the update.  It doesn't surprise me too.  I suppose the reduce fare omny card will be delayed too.  Hopefully not because several times I called OMNY and they said by the end of 2023.  Well the OMNY meeting will be coming up soon (October 2023) we we'll know very soon! Still waiting for the OMNY Vending machines to installed.

5 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

I’ve never heard of the $1 metro card scam

It costs $1 to obtain a MetroCard. It’s a scam because it’s the only way to pay for the AirTrain (at the moment), therefore tourists coming from JFK have to buy one to exit.

Also, you can’t refill the 10-trip or 30-day unlimited fare options, so you have to pay an additional dollar each time. (The MTA waives the fee for a new card at subway MVMs if you’re trying to refill an expired (or nearly expired) card.)

16 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

OMNY has a message on the home page welcoming RI tram riders. Looks like some progress is being made with "affiliates"

Yes I guess so but here is the info https://new.mta.info/press-release/mta-announces-omny-launched-roosevelt-island-tramway

https://www.amny.com/transit/roosevelt-island-tram-omny-tap-pay-system/

Roosevelt Island Tram outfitted with OMNY tap-to-pay system

Riders of the Roosevelt Island Tram can now pay for a trip on the city’s only aerial cable car using OMNY, making it the city’s first transit option not run by MTA to be outfitted with the tap-to-pay system.

The tram, which was the nation’s first commuter cable car when it opened in 1976, connects Roosevelt Island to the east side of Manhattan. The scenic ride costs $2.90, the same as the nearby F train, which stops on the island of about 11,000 residents but operates underground.

But until Thursday, the tram’s riders had to continue using a MetroCard to pay the fare, even as the city has outfitted all of its buses and subway stations with OMNY.

That’s because the tram is run not by the MTA, but by the Roosevelt Island Operating Corporation, a separate government agency that also operates the island’s network of free buses painted a distinctive red, and is responsible for parks, planning, and development on the island.

“Today’s a big milestone for our OMNY program,” MTA Chair Janno Lieber said at a press conference on Thursday. “Riders can now tap and go to get onto the Roosevelt Island tram. I’ll point out, this is the first OMNY expansion outside of the subways and buses that are the heart of the MTA service.”

Other places the MTA intends to roll out OMNY include the JFK AirTrain, which costs $8.25 from Jamaica to the airport and is accessible only with a MetroCard. The AirTrain is run by the Port Authority, which also operates the region’s three main airports.

Lieber said Thursday that riders can expect OMNY installed on the AirTrain within “three or four months.”

The addition of OMNY to the tram comes just days before the F train is set to mostly shutter service to Roosevelt Island until 2024. The agency is set to start track replacement work in the 63rd Street tunnel carrying the F line on Monday, Aug. 28, and the F will be rerouted to the E line.

The MTA will still run F trains as a “shuttle” service connecting Roosevelt Islanders to the Lexington Avenue/63rd Street station in Manhattan and 21st Street-Queensbridge stop in Queens, with trains coming every twenty minutes on a single track between 5 a.m. and midnight. Q95 buses will also provide free shuttle service to and from the island.

The MTA initially intended to fully phase out the MetroCard and replace it with OMNY by the end of 2023, but those plans are on hold indefinitely.

19 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

If anyone uses an actual OMNY card, with it set to auto-fill after the balance dips below X amount, how quickly does the refill get processed after the balance dips below that X amount?

Within minutes of the fare being posted that brings you below the threshold. Which itself also only takes a few minutes. You will get an email when the reload occurs. 

Edited by RestrictOnTheHanger