East Bronx Local Lines to Remain Unchanged in Redesign; No BxM17

Via Garibaldi 8

East Bronx buses not affected by MTA redesign plan

37-buses-2019-09-13-bx01_z.jpg

Photo by Silvio Pacifico

People boarding the Bx40 Bus at Tremont and Randall Avenues.

East Bronx residents were elated to learn that the Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s bus route initiative will have little to no impact on their present bus travel configurations.

The Bx8, Bx24 and Bx40 routes, which service Throggs Neck and several communities to its north, appeared to be facing major rerouting and inconvenient tranfers. They will be left as is.

In Co-op City the Bx23, Bx26, Bx26, Bx30 and QBx50 will continue to service the Mitchell-Lamas’ 45,000 residents.

The Bx8 route, which would have had its terminus at Layton Avenue and Dean Avenue under the MTA plan, will continue to snake through Locust Point, across a piece of Throggs Neck that lies between the Throgs Neck Expressway and Eastchester Bay, as it heads north to Williamsbridge Road via Crosby Avenue. The MTA plan had envisioned the Bx24 stating in Locust Point, picking up the former Bx8 stops, then proceeding to Country Club and Spencer Estate and out to Hutch Metro center via Westchester Avenue.

In addition the MTA planned to replace the Bx24’s current looping route through Country Club and Spencer Estate with a two-way route that had fewer stops.

Residents from the shoreline communities in Throggs Neck loudly opposed the MTA plan that requirred a transfer to access Crosby Avenue and other non-residential areas of the east Bronx, according to Throggs Neck Homeowners Association president Lynn Gerbino.

“Between people going food shopping, to seniors in our community, and bad weather, having to transfer (at Layton Avenue) to get to Crosby Avenue shouldn’t be necessary,” she said, mentioning that Assemblyman Michael Benedetto was instrumental in pressing the MTA to keep the routes intact

Assemblyman Benedetto and Assembly Speaker Carl Heastie worked quietly behind the scene to mitigate the impact of the bus route changes.

“Andy Byford, president of NYC Transit told the people of Co-op City that he would consider their needs after he presented the first draft of the bus plan several months ago. I want to thank Mr. Byford and his team for listening to its riders, Benedetto said, adding the MTA was just as responsive to his constituents in Throggs Neck, Country Club and Spencer Estate.

Spencer Estate Civic Association vice president, George Havranek opposed the Bx24’s two-way bus traffic proposal because he felt the community’s narrow streets could not support such a plan.

The bus route redesign had the Bx24 travelling on the area’s main thoroughfare, Stadium Avenue, between Throggs Neck and Country Club. Havranek explained that the street’s narrowest point between Fairmount and Layton avenues would not support the route’s proposed realignment.

“Even if you daylighted the entire block, two buses wouldn’t be able to pass (at the same time),” he said mentioning that one of the only options would be to remove all street parking in the area.

Havranek pointed out that a similar logistical problem would occur at Ampere Avenue and Kennellworth Place as well.

“Those streets are critically to the redesign,” he said.

According to the redesign plan, the current Bx40 coverage area would have become a two-fare zone, which was also opposed by many in the area.

The Bx40 currently terminates at Maritime College. The proposed change would terminated the Bx40 route at Harding Avenue and East Tremont Avenue and would have extended the Bx42 bus to Maritime College. Bx40 riders would need to make a transfer to reach the Pennyfield area.

The Bx40 route along Harding was dramatically shortened under the MTA plan, cutting out service to residents between Graff and Emerson avenues. The proposed plan had the northbound Bx40 making a right turn from Harding Avenue onto Balcolm Avenue and then a right at Randall Avenue, and then returning to East Tremont, on its way to Westchester Square. To accomplish this route the MTA would remove a guard rail located on Balcom Avenue that deliberately prevents through traffic on the residential block.

That plan was opposed by Balcom Avenue residents that fear opening the street would lead to an influx of speeding vehicles.

Activist Egidio Sementelli held a rally on Balcom Avenue to keep the Bx40 bus route as it currently is on Friday, September 6.

Other east Bronx bus routes that won’t be effected by the MTA redesign are the: Bx23, Bx26, Bx28 and Bx30. Co-op City had formed an ad-hoc committee to present its needs to the MTA in response to the bus proposal. All of the committee’s recommendations were fully accepted with the exception of one. In a compromise, the group ceded an expansion of the BxM7 to Wall Street in exchange for peak period QBx50 service to Co-op City. Also, City Island’s Bx29 will no longer service Co-op City. It will now terminate at Pelham Bay Station. The MTA plan wii be released next week.

Source: https://www.bxtimes.com/stories/2019/37/37-buses-2019-09-13-bx.html?fbclid=IwAR1ctDgT0urtUcqHsowHX2k2UObYgUfht_pJO1GuchKKpx93-Knf5zw8g0c

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kinda knew this was going to be suspect from the start. Throgs Neck needed to be left alone from the start. You need the Bx40 and Bx42 servicing those areas. 

That BxM17 was a complete waste  

A bit confused with the Bx29 not servicing Co-Op City. This now makes the route more direct, but very shorter. Glad that they left all the other routes within Co-Op City alone. 

What the TA really should of did from the start was to focus on Central Bronx, Crosstown Manhattan-Bronx and maybe expansion to Mount Vernon and Lower Yonkers at the least. 

Edited by Future ENY OP
No BxM7 extension.

5 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Kinda knew this was going to be suspect from the start. Throgs Neck needed to be left alone from the start. You need the Bx40 and Bx42 servicing those areas. 

That BxM17 was a complete waste.  

An extended BxM7 definitely works out. 

A bit confused with the Bx29 not servicing Co-Op City. This now makes the route more direct, but very shorter. Glad that they left all the other routes within Co-Op City alone. 

What the TA really should of did from the start was to focus on Central Bronx, Crosstown Manhattan-Bronx and maybe expansion to Mount Vernon and Lower Yonkers at the least. 

There will be no "extension" of the BxM7. That "extension" was to be the BxM17, and that's not happening. Poorly worded by whoever wrote the article, not to mention the grammar.

1 minute ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah in order to keep the QBx50 during peak periods, they gave up the BxM17.  The BxM17 would've been experimental at best, while the QBx50 is proven and is well utilized.

I thought it was the Q50. So the line is getting a re-name? I may need to review the conditioning report again for the name change.  

1 minute ago, Future ENY OP said:

I thought it was the Q50. So the line is getting a re-name? I may need to review the conditioning report again for the name change.  

LOL I'm quoting the article... Yes, it's the Q50. :lol: That was the old name for the route.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

According to the redesign plan, the current Bx40 coverage area would have become a two-fare zone, which was also opposed by many in the area.

The Bx40 currently terminates at Maritime College. The proposed change would terminated the Bx40 route at Harding Avenue and East Tremont Avenue and would have extended the Bx42 bus to Maritime College. Bx40 riders would need to make a transfer to reach the Pennyfield area.

Most people, if not all going to/from Maritime College get off either before, or at Westchester Square. Only a small portion of people would be affected by the Bx42 serving it.

Also, there's no need for the Q50 to serve Co-Op City the way it current does. Make it serve Bay Plaza, Bellamy, Carver, and Drieser loops and call it a day (or even follow the BxM7 route in Co-Op City. A lot of people at Pelham Bay continue on to Co-Op City from the south. This rush hour only proposal is BS. 

51 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Reading is fundamental: "Other east Bronx bus routes that won’t be effected by the MTA redesign are the: Bx23, Bx26, Bx28 and Bx30." <_<

Well I'm sorry I was having an issue with my connection and wasn't able to read the whole article.

It's a shame on the Bx30 tho.

41 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

This is a very bad precedent for the other redesigns.

It’s simply like this. The (MTA) is really selling themselves short. They are going to commit some of the same mistakes as the Staten Island Express re-design plan. Adapting the (MTA) bus routing to me was the absolute worse but that’s for another post and another day. 

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Most people, if not all going to/from Maritime College get off either before, or at Westchester Square. Only a small portion of people would be affected by the Bx42 serving it.

Also, there's no need for the Q50 to serve Co-Op City the way it current does. Make it serve Bay Plaza, Bellamy, Carver, and Drieser loops and call it a day (or even follow the BxM7 route in Co-Op City. A lot of people at Pelham Bay continue on to Co-Op City from the south. This rush hour only proposal is BS. 

Well it was what the community wanted, and there are a few people in my group that support the Q50 staying as is. The elected officials pushed for this based on the community feedback. I don't have much to say on the local lines since I don't use them.

7 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Well it was what the community wanted, and there are a few people in my group that support the Q50 staying as is. The elected officials pushed for this based on the community feedback. I don't have much to say on the local lines since I don't use them.

With respect to the Q50, there's lots of people from Queens specifically who ride into Co-Op City. The problem is the routing in Co-Op City which spends so much unnecessary time when the same section served could be served at a comparable time or even faster than it does today. Obviously those people are not accounted for here and it's going to hurt them the most. Serving it during peak hours only isn't even a band-aid. The Q50 should serve Co-Op daily as it currently does.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

I better not hear no person who advocated for everything to stay the same, get upset over the bus service (imma most likely hear someone get upset within the first 24 hours). But, hopefully the west Bronx and the crosstown lines still get what they were getting. 

2 hours ago, NBTA said:

I better not hear no person who advocated for everything to stay the same, get upset over the bus service (imma most likely hear someone get upset within the first 24 hours). But, hopefully the west Bronx and the crosstown lines still get what they were getting. 

How does this bode for the Manhattan redesign, especially the long north-south routes whose one-way running times are longer than the MetroCard transfer period?

17 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

This is a very bad precedent for the other redesigns.

My expectations were low to begin with... You can't effectively cater to a riderbase or a community you don't know the general riding habits of.... Compound this incompetence & ignorance with frugality & you have a nice little recipe for disaster....

Proposing proposals & the rescission of (any of) them further illustrates it.

16 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

IDC for the way it serves co-op either, but the fact of the matter is having the thing serve the other sections (directly) defeats the purpose of the Bx23....