Which Bus Routes should we eliminate?

danig1220

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2020 at 3:19 PM, B35 via Church said:

This idea that the more shorter bus routes should be eliminated or merged with other routes (for no other reason being solely because they're short), would only fuel the system-wide declination of buses in this city....

Shorter routes are more reliable and manageable than longer routes, but routes that are too short might force some passengers to transfer more than once.  Here's my compromise...

(1)  Keep routes only as along as they need to be based on actual ridership (measured by MetroCard usage data).

(2)  Replace all transfer privileges with a time-based pass (first swipe/dip/tap gives full access to the whole "base" system for a fixed amount of time) and/or a daily fare cap (charge a maximum of two fares in 24 hours).

1 hour ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

Shorter routes are more reliable and manageable than longer routes, but routes that are too short might force some passengers to transfer more than once.... Here's my compromise...

Alright man, give me these routes we have in our system that's too short, that "might" force some passengers to endure multiple transfers within the bus system..... Doing these silly ass combinations (presented in this thread) for the vast majority of commuters in this city, isn't going to do much of anything except have them waiting longer for said (combined) route they'll end up using as a conduit to get to the subway, regardless...

Your little "compromise" (in the form of perpetually parroting your time based pass idea) as it relates to this discussion, runs on a false narrative - A narrative that someone can use as a springboard to justify eradicating shorter bus routes, solely on the notion that they're too short.... Shit is stupid & doesn't warrant any defense of any sort...

4 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Alright man, give me these routes we have in our system that's too short, that "might" force some passengers to endure multiple transfers within the bus system..... Doing these silly ass combinations (presented in this thread) for the vast majority of commuters in this city, isn't going to do much of anything except have them waiting longer for said (combined) route they'll end up using as a conduit to get to the subway, regardless...

Your little "compromise" (in the form of perpetually parroting your time based pass idea) as it relates to this discussion, runs on a false narrative - A narrative that someone can use as a springboard to justify eradicating shorter bus routes, solely on the notion that they're too short.... Shit is stupid & doesn't warrant any defense of any sort...

As you are aware, I have never suggested eliminating "short" routes just because they're short.  (By that standard, there would be no Manhattan crosstown routes.) Please don't confuse me with anyone else who has. 

I actually like short (or "less long") routes for reliability, and I favor splitting very long routes into smaller parts whenever possible, as long as the resulting shorter routes actually serve their riders' needs. (For example, the B6 seems to serve two or three distinct markets and probably could be partitioned into two or three overlapping routes. On the other hand, the 14-mile Q44 can never be partitioned because there is too much through riding between Jamaica and the Bronx.)  

1 hour ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

As you are aware, I have never suggested eliminating "short" routes just because they're short.  (By that standard, there would be no Manhattan crosstown routes.) Please don't confuse me with anyone else who has. 

I actually like short (or "less long") routes for reliability, and I favor splitting very long routes into smaller parts whenever possible, as long as the resulting shorter routes actually serve their riders' needs. (For example, the B6 seems to serve two or three distinct markets and probably could be partitioned into two or three overlapping routes. On the other hand, the 14-mile Q44 can never be partitioned because there is too much through riding between Jamaica and the Bronx.)  

Good, then there's no reason to direct your compromise at me, if you're not defending the premise.

far be it from me to mediate, but after reading thru this thread, it's really deviated from the original topic line. I'm lost. i thought the premise was to somehow present valid cases pertaining to "short" lines (depending on a person's definition) "needing" to be eliminated (again, depending on a person's definition).

i thought there was already a fantasy/proposal thread... i don't know, I'm just saying. I'm exhausted from trying to sift thru the clutter

28 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

far be it from me to mediate, but after reading thru this thread, it's really deviated from the original topic line. I'm lost. i thought the premise was to somehow present valid cases pertaining to "short" lines (depending on a person's definition) "needing" to be eliminated (again, depending on a person's definition).

i thought there was already a fantasy/proposal thread... i don't know, I'm just saying. I'm exhausted from trying to sift thru the clutter

There wasn't much of anything substance-wise in this thread from jump....

The Bx46.

As someone who resides in Inwood and has heard stories about the passengers that serve the M35, no thank you on a merger with the M100.

Regarding the M98/BxM1, still trying to wrap my head around how you would extend the 98 into Inwood when it operates on Fort Washington Avenue.

7 hours ago, lupojohn said:

Regarding the M98/BxM1, still trying to wrap my head around how you would extend the 98 into Inwood when it operates on Fort Washington Avenue.

The person coming up with such ideas is apparently just looking at a map. Fort Washington Av is located up in the hills of Fort George, Hudson Heights and Washington Heights and is not easy to reach.  Any sort of BxM1/M98 merger would make no sense at all. You would have to eliminate part of the BxM1 route and it still would be too long and involve too much meandering.

On 3/22/2020 at 4:57 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The person coming up with such ideas is apparently just looking at a map. Fort Washington Av is located up in the hills of Fort George, Hudson Heights and Washington Heights and is not easy to reach.  Any sort of BxM1/M98 merger would make no sense at all. You would have to eliminate part of the BxM1 route and it still would be too long and involve too much meandering.

On 3/22/2020 at 9:31 AM, lupojohn said:

The Bx46.

As someone who resides in Inwood and has heard stories about the passengers that serve the M35, no thank you on a merger with the M100.

I came up with that proposal: the X98 (new name) would run via Fort Washington to Overlook, then down Overlook to 187, down 187 to Bway, and up Bway.

11 hours ago, Jova42R said:

I came up with that proposal: the X98 (new name) would run via Fort Washington to Overlook, then down Overlook to 187, down 187 to Bway, and up Bway.

Have you been to that area to see how hilly it and how the streets meander to get over to Fort Washington Av? Having a rout on Fort Washington Av... Ok fine. That’s a main corridor. A bus on Overlook Av makes a lot less sense though. It’s all residential and a side street at that. Too much meandering involved, given the hilly terrain.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Just now, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Have you been to that area to see how hilly it and how the streets meander to get over to Fort Washington Av? Having a rout on Fort Washington Av... Ok fine. That’s a main corridor. A bus on Overlook Av makes a lot less sense though. It’s all residential and a side street at that. Too much meandering involved, given the hilly terrain.

Well, then maybe the X98 could have 2 branches: one to the Cloisters, and one via the HH Pkwy to Inwood/Riverdale.

2 minutes ago, Jova42R said:

Well, then maybe the X98 could have 2 branches: one to the Cloisters, and one via the HH Pkwy to Inwood/Riverdale.

The best option... Leaving the BxM1 as is! It would be great to have a bus down Fort Washington Av that helped the (A) train though. That train is so bad that I avoid it at all costs. There needs to be another transit option up there near the Cloisters. I have had to bail and get an Uber more times than I can count because the (A) is such a mess.

On 3/24/2020 at 9:08 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

.....It would be great to have a bus down Fort Washington Av that helped the (A) train though. That train is so bad that I avoid it at all costs. There needs to be another transit option up there near the Cloisters. I have had to bail and get an Uber more times than I can count because the (A) is such a mess.

Agreed, and I'd go about it with an M4/M5 terminal swap.

I just can't be bothered with the 8th av lines period, but especially the (A); whether it's here in Brooklyn or up in Manhattan (especially along CPW & points north)....

I would say the B84...it's designed to serve the new community around Spring Creek Basin, which is nearly complete, but I have to wonder if a B83 variant would do the trick instead...terminating around Home Depot but not serving Spring Creek Towers, instead deviating from the existing B83 at Cozine Avenue and then running via Schenck and Vandalia, once the remainder of Vandalia is opened between Elton Street and Gateway Drive. At that time, the Q8 could also be rerouted to operate via Vandalia as well to and from Gateway Mall (North Terminal).

1 hour ago, aemoreira81 said:

I would say the B84...it's designed to serve the new community around Spring Creek Basin, which is nearly complete, but I have to wonder if a B83 variant would do the trick instead...terminating around Home Depot but not serving Spring Creek Towers, instead deviating from the existing B83 at Cozine Avenue and then running via Schenck and Vandalia, once the remainder of Vandalia is opened between Elton Street and Gateway Drive. At that time, the Q8 could also be rerouted to operate via Vandalia as well to and from Gateway Mall (North Terminal).

I wouldn’t go too fast by eliminating the B84 if you don’t address the current issues with the B13 which also serves the area. Realistically leave the 83 alone at Gateway Plaza.. Additional coverage is needed for the 84 like perhaps extending to city line with coverage along New Lots Ave, Sutter Ave, and terminating at Grant/Sheridan (A) or Crescent/Fulton (J)(Z)

23 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

I thought about something similar in the past.... In conjunction with running the B83 clear along Penn, have additional B83 service turning off at Flatlands, en route to Gateway....

The thing with the B84 is that it isn't really much more than supplemental B6 service from Cozine on up to New Lots (3) .... The folks along Flatlands av. hardly patronize the thing.... So in regards to what you're bringing up, while the extra service would benefit current B83 riders (b/w B'way Junction & Van Siclen/Cozine), at this point, I would scrap the whole notion of even connecting Spring Creek with the (3)....

22 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

I wouldn’t go too fast by eliminating the B84 if you don’t address the current issues with the B13 which also serves the area. Realistically leave the 83 alone at Gateway Plaza.. Additional coverage is needed for the 84 like perhaps extending to city line with coverage along New Lots Ave, Sutter Ave, and terminating at Grant/Sheridan (A) or Crescent/Fulton (J)(Z)

I don't see what you're saying here fam, the B84 does much of nothing for the B13.... The Q8 does more for the B13 riders than the B84 does.

Furthermore, he's not suggesting anything be done to the actual B83 -  he's saying a B83 variant would head to/from Gateway Mall differently (via Cozine)...

Staying on the topic of the B84, I have to wonder if it would be wiser to extend the B60 ointo Spring Creek, maintaining the B60 on Glenwood and Cozine both ways between Rockaway Parkway and Schenck Avenue, and then following Schenck and Vandalia into Spring Creek. I agree that the idea of connecting Spring Creek Basin with the (3) isn't working, but what about the (L)? Keep in mind that an earlier B84 iteration ran between Rockaway Parkway and Ashford/Wortman. That ended when it was merged into the B6, which assumed the old B84's eastern terminus became that before being extended to the New Lots Avenue (3) station.

Speaking of other short routes, what about folding the Bx46 into the Bx6 and making that a variant of it, terminating at Yankee Stadium? (There is the legitimate question of whether it would be too much bus, but it would take people from farther west in the Bronx to employment sites on the west side of Hunts Point. I would propose this route:

Eastbound: first stop Yankee Stadium, then follow the Bx6 route to 163 Street and Westchester Avenue. But instead of turning left, the Bx46 would continue down Rev. James A. Polite Avenue to Dawson Street, and then turn left onto Longwood Avenue.

Westbound, the bus would follow the current Bx46 route, then turn right from Longwood onto Prospect, and then left at 163 Street to rejoin the Bx6 Local to Yankee Stadium.

Of the recent short routes recently added, only the B32 has really worked out, to where I believe that the B32 should go to 20 minute headways (15 peak) after this COVID-19 situation has passed.

On 3/22/2020 at 9:31 AM, lupojohn said:

In theory, the northbound M98 would continue into Fort Tryon Park and loop around the Cloisters, then follow the ramp down to the Henry Hudson Parkway northbound.

However, that first underpass is only 11 feet high and this doesn't work southbound.

3 hours ago, Gotham Bus Co. said:

In theory, the northbound M98 would continue into Fort Tryon Park and loop around the Cloisters, then follow the ramp down to the Henry Hudson Parkway northbound.

However, that first underpass is only 11 feet high and this doesn't work southbound.

For NB buses that is what they'd do. SB buses would run down to Overlook and up Overlook to FW.