Trains collide/derail at 96th St IRT Station

Jesus, I don't remember seeing pictures like that in a while. I'm confused as to what happened exactly--sounds like a work train hit the (1) train and then the (1) derailed from the impact (or from crossing over a switch from the impact?). I'm sure details will come out, but that is really scary.

I'm guessing stop arms don't stop work trains that cross red signals?

Here's a tweet with some more pictures. Seems to show two R62A trains side-by-side in one of them. My guess is that right before this happened (1) trains were running express to 96th because of a mechanical issue on a train at 79th. From some of the pictures it seems that there was a train on both the local and express tracks at 96th, both signed as (1) trains. It is possible that there was a switching error leading to the OOS R62A colliding with the in-service train crossing over.

Posted (edited)

crazy thing. i read same thing happened on the GG years ago.

05/20/1970. An empty Brooklyn bound GG train running on the southbound local track (D1) crashed into another GG train west of Roosevelt Avenue that was crossing from the southbound express track (D3) to the southbound local track (D1). The empty GG had left Continental Avenue at 7:13 AM and developed brake trouble. Passengers were discharged at Woodhaven Boulevard and the first two cars were cut out. The motorman then operated the train from the third car with the conductor signaling with a flashlight from the front of the train 

Because of the stalled train southbound EE and GG trains were routed to the express track (D3) and then crossed back over to the local track (D1) west of Roosevelt Avenue. The home signal tripper on the local track (D1) was working but as the empty train was running with the first two cars cut out it did not engage the trip cock in time. The empty train rammed into the train crossing over to the local track between the 6th and 7th cars.

Edited by nightmare402

26 minutes ago, 40 to 241st said:

Apparently it collided with a work train that’s how the derailment happened 

There was no work train. The “work train” was an out of service (1) that was vandalized with the emergency brake cords being pulled.

47 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

There was no work train. The “work train” was an out of service (1) that was vandalized with the emergency brake cords being pulled.

Yea there was 2 (1) trains, one on the express in service leaving slowly and the other was NIS bypassing the stop on the local 

1 hour ago, Vulturious said:

417423569_18035226502661751_869538596970

So... is it safe to say this is getting scrapped?

Maybe? Best case scenario, it's just the flooring that got bent and can be replaced easily. Worst case scenario, the frame is too damaged for a repair to be feasible. Either way, that 5-car set (2411-2415) is going to be out for quite a while.

1 minute ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

Maybe? Best case scenario, it's just the flooring that got bent and can be replaced easily. Worst case scenario, the frame is too damaged for a repair to be feasible. Either way, that 5-car set (2411-2415) is going to be out for quite a while.

Yeah, they won't even be able to touch it for a long time while the investigation is underway. I wonder if NTSB gets involved here.

NTSB is getting involved.

I will say this though, All of this was because of vandalism. It's getting to the point where we need to start taking it serious because again a f**king EDP caused this mess. All these years of "You can't take photos over here and etc." And yet you have vandals messing with the system and EDPs up the ass and nobody does a goddamn thing. The city and state need to stop being lax on the law because at this point things have gotten out of control.

okay, first of all, being emotionally disturbed isn't a crime in and off itself. 

Pulling the brakes like that is, at best, a misdemeanor. 

And while it was the inciting factor, there was other human and/or mechanical error that led to this happening.

If that b/o train had stopped. if the crew had been able to release that one cord.

as for the vandals... did you not catch the one little detail...

It was recorded.

A short while ago we wouldn't have known. Now we have CBTC and CCTV monitoring that area. 

18 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

okay, first of all, being emotionally disturbed isn't a crime in and off itself. 

Pulling the brakes like that is, at best, a misdemeanor. 

And while it was the inciting factor, there was other human and/or mechanical error that led to this happening.

If that b/o train had stopped. if the crew had been able to release that one cord.

as for the vandals... did you not catch the one little detail...

It was recorded.

A short while ago we wouldn't have known. Now we have CBTC and CCTV monitoring that area. 

Are you able to tell us what you've heard so far? Or is it company info only?