Trains collide/derail at 96th St IRT Station

Posted (edited)

As a result of the potential delays on other lines due to the suspension, there are some changes on other lines:

Some (A) trains are running local north of 59th Street - Columbus Circle in both directions.

All (5) service in The Bronx is temporarily suspended.

Metro North is cross honoring on the Harlem Line within NYC, and the Hudson Line between Marble Hill and Grand Central. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

43 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

As a result of the potential delays on other lines due to the suspension, there are some changes on other lines:

Some (A) trains are running local north of 59th Street - Columbus Circle in both directions.

All (5) service in The Bronx is temporarily suspended.

Metro North is cross honoring on the Harlem Line within NYC, and the Hudson Line between Marble Hill and Grand Central. 

You mean (5) Express service in the Bronx*

One thing ill say is unlike ALL over the internet  people here on this site isn't saying

"Oh this is what happened even though i dont work there"..

No I'm not going to say how this went down either active investigation...

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, 40 to 241st said:

Can we all wish the injured people safe recovery from this incident. 

They were all minor injuries, and the trauma that this made of caused is something that can’t be recovered from one day to the other…..just take a look at the videos

Edited by Chris89292

1 hour ago, RTOMan said:

One thing ill say is unlike ALL over the internet  people here on this site isn't saying

"Oh this is what happened even though i dont work there"..

No I'm not going to say how this went down either active investigation...

As you should. Don’t get in trouble for something like that. Me and you both know people have in the past for speaking on stuff like this.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

As you should. Don’t get in trouble for something like that. Me and you both know people have in the past for speaking on stuff like this.

Exactly i got buffs in my inbox trying to ask me too..

Never spoke to me before dont speak to me now..

They can keep it moving that way>>>>

From what I've seen on some news site yesterday, a NIS (1) train was bypassing the 96th Street station on the local track just as an in-service (1) train was leaving the station on the express track on its way to switch onto the local track. The NIS train had its brakes activated somewhere on the line so the in-service train was on the express track bypassing that train, and thus they meet up at 96th Street. Since I'm merely a person on front of a screen, I'm just purely speculating it was some sort of signal error since I'm sure (someone can correct me on this) red signals should've been relayed on one of the two tracks as the switch was being used but hadn't.

2 hours ago, NBTA said:

I’m hearing that train service will be resumed at 4, but with the pictures I saw, a pillar and a wall is gonna have to be fixed too.

The service alerts are saying that service is still suspended for the rest of the day at least.

Posted (edited)

The service alerts are also saying that southbound (1)s are express from TSQ to Chambers, while southbound (3)s are local in that same stretch. I’m guessing it’s to give the downtown local customers a direct one-seat ride to Brooklyn?

Edited by Jemorie

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

The service alerts are also saying that southbound (1)s are express from TSQ to Chambers, while southbound (3)s are local in that same stretch. I’m guessing it’s to give the downtown local customers a direct one-seat ride to Brooklyn?

Could be? But really it's because switches between 34-Penn and 42-Times Sq doesn't allow northbound (1) local to switch to the southbound local track; it only allows that train to relay on the northbound express track at 42-Times Sq, and can only switch over to the southbound express track at 34-Penn going southbound, and remain on the express heading south. Northbound (3) express can relay on the southbound express track at 42-Times Sq to avoid conflict with relaying (1) trains and while it can switch to the southbound express going southbound, it would conflict with the southbound (1). There are however switches from the southbound express to the southbound local, and with the lack of southbound (1) local due to the switches between 34-Penn and 42-Times Sq, the (3) would run local going southbound.

Edited by CyclonicTrainLookout

37 minutes ago, CyclonicTrainLookout said:

Could be? But really it's because switches between 34-Penn and 42-Times Sq doesn't allow northbound (1) local to switch to the southbound local track; it only allows that train to relay on the northbound express track at 42-Times Sq, and can only switch over to the southbound express track at 34-Penn going southbound, and remain on the express heading south. Northbound (3) express can relay on the southbound express track at 42-Times Sq to avoid conflict with relaying (1) trains and while it can switch to the southbound express going southbound, it would conflict with the southbound (1). There are however switches from the southbound express to the southbound local, and with the lack of southbound (1) local due to the switches between 34-Penn and 42-Times Sq, the (3) would run local going southbound.

Exactly, and since the terminal capacity of this operation is already capped at Times Square to about 10 trains per hour (total), there won't be too much conflict at Chambers St when trains have to cross over each other there (for the (1) to go to South Ferry and for the (3) to go to Brooklyn). So thee operation is

Northbound (from Southern Terminals)

(1) via 7 Av Local, (3) via 7 Av Express

Southbound (from  Times Square)

(1) via 7 Av Exp, (3) via 7 Av Local

11 minutes ago, Lex said:

They've finally resumed southbound (2) service down the West Side in some capacity, though I question if it's wise to do so. After all, they're turning (3) trains there.

It's stated that West Side (2) are making local stops down the entire 7 Av corridor. (3) are turning at the southbound express track at Times Sq-42, so the (2) won't interfere with terminating (3) trains.

8 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

They were all minor injuries, and the trauma that this made of caused is something that can’t be recovered from one day to the other…..just take a look at the videos

Oh my goodness I actually saw some traumatized people in on of the videos. Let’s just hope they get the best help they need 

2 hours ago, CyclonicTrainLookout said:

It's stated that West Side (2) are making local stops down the entire 7 Av corridor. (3) are turning at the southbound express track at Times Sq-42, so the (2) won't interfere with terminating (3) trains.

Those southbound (2) trains are interfering with (1) Trains that are terminating at 96th as those are ending on the downtown local platform and go back up. Though not all (2) trains are going to the west side yet and the (1) is running sporadically to 96th (Some are still terminating at 137th) so it doesn’t seem to be an issue.

19 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

Those southbound (2) trains are interfering with (1) Trains that are terminating at 96th as those are ending on the downtown local platform and go back up. Though not all (2) trains are going to the west side yet and the (1) is running sporadically to 96th (Some are still terminating at 137th) so it doesn’t seem to be an issue.

Maybe the (1) and (3) can share the downtown express track at 96 St to turn trains and the (2) can run via 7 Av Local downtown, and northbound via Lexington. The (1) and(3) would only be able to run every 15-20 minutes to 96 St, so some (1) trains will still need to turn at 137 St, which will be hard since that turning track will be the northbound track for the (1) since trains originating at 96 St must skip 103 St , 110 St, 116 St, and 125 St due to switch configuration. Northbound Lenox service will also obviously be limited, but at least with southbound service available, some equipment can be moved from the yards to the south end for the (1)(3) service south of Times Square to run more consistent service.

22 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

No, probably PTSB instead.

Actually, the NTSB will be involved in the investigation as they had concerns about the string of accidents in the system as of late. They referred to the transit worker that was killed in November at Herald Square as another sticking point.

https://abc7ny.com/14283053/

4 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

Actually, the NTSB will be involved in the investigation as they had concerns about the string of accidents in the system as of late. They referred to the transit worker that was killed in November at Herald Square as another sticking point.

https://abc7ny.com/14283053/

Welp I wouldn’t be surprised if some black helmets (System Safety) were out and about in the next few days

14 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

You mean (5) Express service in the Bronx*

Yeah, forgot to include "express"

---------

From what it sounds like, there will be (3) service running all night between Times Square and Atlantic Ave - Barclays Center (due to the lack of (2) service). Makes sense, although IDK how the headways will look like.