SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lance25

Remember, there were skylights in the old City Hall station, which probably brightened up the area quite a lot. Said skylights were painted over during World War II if I'm not mistaken, around the same time the station closed.

Remember, there were skylights in the old City Hall station, which probably brightened up the area quite a lot. Said skylights were painted over during World War II if I'm not mistaken, around the same time the station closed.

No, they just put a cover over it. The cover is only removed at special events when the station is once again open for public (has happened 1 time in the last few years).

I hate having women train operators. They're so cautious and tend to brake earlier than men train operators. You don't get a good amount of speed from 18 Av to Av I (maybe twenty-five to thirty mph), what are you doing breaking thirty feet before the station?

One of the greatest "performances" I had on the (:) line back when the line had R40 Slants was with a female T/O. She was barreling down on that 10 car marker yet she stopped that thing on a dime, I remember when we came into West 4th Street, this dude kinda had a worried/WTF look on his face and he quickly glanced at the 10 car marker, but guess what? It did not overshoot, she moved that train like bat outta hell on that 6th Ave Express.

One of the greatest "performances" I had on the (:) line back when the line had R40 Slants was with a female T/O. She was barreling down on that 10 car marker yet she stopped that thing on a dime, I remember when we came into West 4th Street, this dude kinda had a worried/WTF look on his face and he quickly glanced at the 10 car marker, but guess what? It did not overshoot, she moved that train like bat outta hell on that 6th Ave Express.

What luck you had. I only have a few memories with the Slants.

Commutes: LONG POST O_o

Monday: Pretty awesome. I go take the (A) with my friends, get off at Fulton St for the (2) and I get to the platform earlier then I would taking the (1) to the (2), and this is even after my train got delayed a couple of times. I missed a train. A few minutes later, the (2) comes, I get off at Nevins for the (4), and at Franklin I end up catching another (2) train, presumably the one I missed before. But I had no idea how the (4) caught up to that first (2) train; I missed it by some 5 minutes or more at Fulton St. Anyway, I got home a few minutes early.

Tuesday Going to school, awesome, because my (2) made it from Beverly Rd to 96th St in only 40 minutes, but my commute home was incredibly DERPY, probably to make up for my good commutes from before. On the (1) at 110th St, the loudspeakers say (2) and (3) service were supsended because of a stalled train at Chambers St. By the time I get to 96th however, the trains are running again with dealys. That last part really rung true; I mean the (2) completely and utterly dragged, totally a snail's pace. Let me put that in perspective: A (1) train actually beat us 96th to Chambers St. THE (1) BEAT THE (2) FROM 96TH TO CHAMBERS. Derp. At Nevins, the countdown clock says another Brooklyn-bound (2) train is arriving.... with the arrow pointing towards the express track. Is it.... Yes! It is! A (2) comes in, having run via Lexington. I, like a fool, get on the (2) train on the express track while the first (2) leaves. A (3) train that was right behind my original (2) train comes in and leaves.... BUT, the train stops still partially in the station. Turns out the (2) I'm on right now (sitting in Nevins St on the express track for a few minutes) is being switched to the local track At Atlantic Ave. I thought this was funny, the (3), (4), (5) all being delayed at once so that my (2) could move to the local track when it could have easily zipped through on the express track, as there were no trains ahead of us. Plus the irony of two (2) trains in a row even though there's a fairly crowded (3) train already in the tunnel waiting to go.

Ultimately, I only got home 17 minutes later. It doesn't sound like much, but when your train is not being delayed for 17 minutes but rather constantly on the move and the delay is spread out along the journey... it certainly feels different.

DOUBLE POSTING! At least I didn't put it in one big post.

Wednesday/Yesterday: Going to school, I took the (5) that comes 12 minutes after the one I usually take. My T/O was a real speed demon around that curve after Nevins St, so that was cool. I had to run at Fulton St for the (A) [At Fulton St, coming from the (4)(5) you end up at the very front of the uptown side whereas the exit at 145th St is close to the back, so I like to walk to the back.] Good thing too, because I narrowly avoided waiting another 7-8 minutes for the (A) after that. Going home was kind of OK. I take the (3) from 96th to Franklin. The (5) arrives a few minutes later, and since there was no train ahead of it, it comes charging into Franklin Ave (seriously, go there and see for yourself!) But the holding lights go on:tdown:

Eh, it was crowded anyway. Not too long after, the (2) comes. It's also crowded. It leaves Franklin as the (5) is still sitting there. My (2) skips Sterling and Winthrop. Naturally, once we get to Church, it's announced we're skipping Beverly and Newkirk, and I get off. As I get off, I see my ex-girlfriend looking in my direction (I literally did not notice her until I was getting off the train. I know, I fail at life.) Ultimately, I get on the same (5) train from before. But right behind that (5) there was ANOTHER (2) train... ugh.... I wait a good few minutes for a Flatbush-bound train and then three show up in quick succession....

Also, I saw R142s 7006-7010..... coupled to 7040-7036 leading the train Southbound. And that particular (5) train was going to Utica. So extra burn points.....

Thursday/Today's commute was pretty average.

Also sometimes at 59th St Columbus Circle an uptown (A) train will be held in the station while a (D) comes in on the local track, leaves, and switches to the express track. Interesting.

Considering it's only a handful of stops from 207th St, you might think that downtowns (A) trains at 145th wouldn't be all that crowded. WRONG. In the morning and in the afternoon. Hell, all day long sometimes. Even more suprising given that people are packing the trains at 7:15 and even earlier in the morning!

At about 11 pm today at 59 St while waiting for the (A) train to go home, I saw an R62 set 1341-1345 heading uptown on the express track (with redbirds on either end, the last car was 9325, forgot the lead car)

Pretty weird sight to see but it happens

I hate having women train operators. They're so cautious and tend to brake earlier than men train operators. You don't get a good amount of speed from 18 Av to Av I (maybe twenty-five to thirty mph), what are you doing breaking thirty feet before the station?

Hmm...that's strange, I have exactly a different experience with them.

At about 11 pm today at 59 St while waiting for the (A) train to go home, I saw an R62 set 1341-1345 heading uptown on the express track (with redbirds on either end, the last car was 9325, forgot the lead car)

Pretty weird sight to see but it happens

Probably because the redbirds were fitted with trips on both sides so they can operate on A and B track.

This weekend, Woodlawn-bound (4) trains are running local from Utica Ave to Atlantic Ave. Oh, you guys should've seen the construction at Franklin Ave on the Manhattan-bound express track. Dust, sparks everywhere. Noise. Shit got real :) Naturally, Utica Ave-bound (4) trains on the express track had to proceed slowly. I was on the (4), aiming to experience that kick-ass entrance into Franklin... and I totally forgot about the construction and slow order. FML! Kidding.

Does anybody else think of how cool the subway can be? How it can unify people?

Look at 6th Ave. You've got people going to the Bronx across the platform from people going out to the very end of Queens; People from far away homes right next to each other. Think about all the potential kinship and friendships! But most people don't even consider such things... :(