MTA Bus Operations: Fleet & Depots

East New York

7 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Spec change. With the MTA, no information is permanent, even when it's rock solid like the TTMG sources.

Weird, since I rode both the 2015 Xcelsiors and the 2018 Xcelsiors, and the 2018 one definitely sounded like an L9 with the two-tone transmission sound. Even some videos of the model, including this one from @Cait Sith shows the different sound. When I compared my ride (sitting in the back of the bus) to the video ride, both have that two tone sound, something that the ISL9s do not have in the XD40, even thoug both the 2015 and 2018 have the same Allison B400R 5th Generation transmission.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Weird, since I rode both the 2015 Xcelsiors and the 2018 Xcelsiors, and the 2018 one definitely sounded like an L9 with the two-tone transmission sound. Even some videos of the model, including this one from @Cait Sith shows the different sound. When I compared my ride (sitting in the back of the bus) to the video ride, both have that two tone sound, something that the ISL9s do not have in the XD40, even thoug both the 2015 and 2018 have the same Allison B400R 5th Generation transmission.

That's the AC compressor, not the transmission.

18 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

That's the AC compressor, not the transmission.

So where’s the sound difference between the EPA 15 ISL9 on the 2015 XD40s and the EPA 17 ISL9 and EPA 17 L9 on the 2018 XD40s then? I thought the 2018 XD40 configuration was better than the 2015 configuration.

Just now, JeremiahC99 said:

So where’s the sound difference between the EPA 15 ISL9 on the 2015 XD40s and the EPA 17 ISL9 and EPA 17 L9 on the 2018 XD40s then? I thought the 2018 XD40 configuration was better than the 2015 configuration.

The transmission is configured better, not the engine. The engines still sound roughly the same. The transmission configuration is close to the newest setup in some of the 4800s.

4 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

The transmission is configured better, not the engine. The engines still sound roughly the same. The transmission configuration is close to the newest setup in some of the 4800s.

Apologies for asking about all this engine and transmission stuff since I not that much of an expert about the inner workings of a vehicle, but how do you configure a transmission on an Xcelsior bus or any vehicle, and what transmission configuration do the new XD40s and the 4800s have?

Speaking of Xcelsior buses, does New Flyer offer the plug-style doors (like what Nova LFSA 5311 has) as an option for the rear doors rather than the doors we have now on our Xcelsiors buses? I feel that they could be great for our buses.

Edited by JeremiahC99

3 hours ago, JeremiahC99 said:

Apologies for asking about all this engine and transmission stuff since I not that much of an expert about the inner workings of a vehicle, but how do you configure a transmission on an Xcelsior bus or any vehicle, and what transmission configuration do the new XD40s and the 4800s have?

Most of the 2011 and 2015 XD40s have the transmissions set-up gear ratio wise like a ZF Ecolife transmission bus. They shift similar to ZFs in that they go from first to second gear in a relatively quick fashion. On the 2015s this makes the bus jerk going into second gear. Some of the 4800s have been modified so they shift similar to our C40s. The 2011 XD40s sport a ISL9 with the Allison Generation IV transmission. The C40s use the Westport ISL-G. The 2015s use the Gen V

The new XD40s (7484 and up) have the transmission set-up in a similar fashion to the modified 4800s, HOWEVER, these two aren't the same as the ratios(from what I been able to tell) and the 4800s seem to have longer ratios where as the wifi XD40s tend to shift a bit faster. 

These ratios are being modified using the LBSS feature on Allison transmissions. The ZFs do not have this as they are already fuel saving transmissions. 

Edited by Jdog14

Curious question really on Meredith:

On the radio tonight, all Far Rockaway drivers were being told to ultimately bring their buses to the JFK Airport's long term lot to wait out tomorrow's nor'easter. The express buses were the first to go up, then Q22s and Q35s were told to fuel up and be swept at Far Rockaway, and then head up, and then any bus on the Q11, Q21, and Q41 would fuel at JFK and be swept, and then ferry over to long-term parking.

The one other garage in the system in danger of flooding is Meredith, with the lot right next to the Arthur Kill. Where are Meredith Depot buses moved during a potential flooding situation? (Looking at the OEM's Hurricane Zone map, only Meredith and Far Rockaway are in Zone 1.)

8 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

On the radio tonight, all Far Rockaway drivers were being told to ultimately bring their buses to the JFK Airport's long term lot to wait out tomorrow's nor'easter. The express buses were the first to go up, then Q22s and Q35s were told to fuel up and be swept at Far Rockaway, and then head up, and then any bus on the Q11, Q21, and Q41 would fuel at JFK and be swept, and then ferry over to long-term parking.

The one other garage in the system in danger of flooding is Meredith, with the lot right next to the Arthur Kill. Where are Meredith Depot buses moved during a potential flooding situation? (Looking at the OEM's Hurricane Zone map, only Meredith and Far Rockaway are in Zone 1.)

Meredith’s buses are shifted to Castleton or Yukon. They carry 75 OTR coaches

Edited by FLX9304

On 10/26/2018 at 9:51 AM, JeremiahC99 said:

I checked the TTMG Fleet Roster page and for the 2018-19 XD40s 7484-7850 it said all the buses in that order have the Cummins EPA 17 L9 engine, including 7615-7684, and buses delivered with the standard blue scheme. Yet you say that buses delivered after 7572 will have the L9 engine. Is there an error in the TTMG Fleet roster that needs to be changed?

well seeing as how I'm responsible for the TTMG roster, I have not corrected the information because I was away on vacation for the last 3 weeks, so it will take a bit for me to catch everything back up, patience is a virtue! 

On 10/26/2018 at 11:42 PM, aemoreira81 said:

The Meredith buses are parked at the Forest Hill Yard at Yukon and at the Eltingville Transit Center when there is a flooding threat. 

18 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Any truth I heard a rumour that 0017 had a catastrophic failure?!

Well IIRC 0016-0018 are all OOS because of some brake issue from like late august or early sept (and 0020 too but given what that bus has been up to, I assume there are more issues with that one than just brakes...) so  if you are referring to that, then yes 0017 had a failure technically..