B/O 4600 Hiring Process

Message added by +Young+

BUS OPERATOR #4600

List Status Update: 1/16/22 The list for this specific exam has been extended to January 6th, 2024.

Training: See the DOB New Hire FAQ topic for more information.

Next Scheduled Class: You will be scheduled with candidates of more recent Bus Operator exams (which are pinned), so check those threads for more information.

For those of you who wish to restore your name to the list, you must do so by sending an e-mail to certificationunit@dcas.nyc.gov. In your e-mail, state your full name, exam number, list number, the last four of your social security number, and a brief reason why you're restoring your name to the list. You don't have to go into full detail in the e-mail.

For those who will be reporting to Livingston Street in the future, click here for the pre-employment packet and click here or for extra pages of the CPD-B booklet (if you need them) for final processing.

Next, for those of you who are still waiting, you folks might want to check out this and this YouTube video. In addition, if you need help getting your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner's Permit), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com which is free!! Remember, the multiple-choice tests you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement.

Finally, if you need to make an appointment at the DMV to take the multiple-choice examinations for your Commercial Learner's Permit, click here.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. We're here to help each other.

Good luck!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's more like a personality exam.. They ask the same question 3-4 times different ways to see your character, your morals and honesty.. If your complacent in certain situations... It's basically your interview on paper.. It eliminates one on one interviews

I need to know how the BOSS exam. and what do I need to read just to pass the exam

Please see below, YoungNYCSubwayFan has provided an excellent example on what to expect:

[Thread: the Oct. 4 exam for test 4600 what is that about?]

Should you have additional questions, please ask them in this thread. - Thanks

Quick question, what happens if you are not originally from NYC, get hired by MTA but dont know the streets of NYC too well? I know your given a route to drive and that route sometimes changes...im sure youd need decent knowledge of the streets before hand? Have there ever been csses of MTA bus operators getting lost out there? That would be a disaster id assume....

@MTAhopeful1, just write down all the turns (although everyone should get a turn sheet).

If you do make a wrong turn, the people will let you know lol

If you don't know how to get back on route, the people will tell you....or you can stop and call console, give them your location, and they will tell you what to do.

Quick question, what happens if you are not originally from NYC, get hired by MTA but dont know the streets of NYC too well? I know your given a route to drive and that route sometimes changes...im sure youd need decent knowledge of the streets before hand? Have there ever been csses of MTA bus operators getting lost out there? That would be a disaster id assume....

I'm kinda concerned about this too. I am from Staten Island and if I am not able to pick right away into any of the Staten Island or Manhattan depots or Ulmer Park (Brooklyn South), it will definitely be a learning experience!

Thanks hockeyplayer9 for the information.

I got a letter I need to take the boss for August 9

Is your BOSS letter for May 09 instead? Please do let us know if it is indeed August. I guess since you are "in", you don't have to worry about it either way. B-)

Edited by 161passenger

Thanks for the replies..for anyone on the job right now if you dont mind me asking, how is the job overall? Do you ladies and gentlemen like it? Hows the pay? Able to afford a home etc etc? Would appreciate an overall glance at the profession and get a better idea of whats it like to be a bus operator!!

Thanks! !!

I'm quickly approaching year and half on the job from 2613 exam.

I like the job, it is cool. It's what you make of it. Some hated it and quit pretty quickly. It's like any other job. 

You won't afford a home in NYC at the beginning pay rate. At top pay its possible, depends if you have a 2 income family. Being single and on this job would make it harder - unless you live in a bad area of the 5 boros where the house might be cheaper (240K).

A lot of guys move upstate or NJ/PA. I'm personally shooting for PA, much more bang for your buck. 

you go through line training with a senior operator and learn all the routes when you pass training and pick into your depot. You should get turn sheets as well.  I just had a customer who knew the route show me lol 

I got a letter I need to take the boss for August 9

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ 

:huh: MHGQ04, Did you receive a letter to take the BOSS on August 9? 

I didn't get my score for 4600 but I received a letter about it for me to go to Livingston to take a BOSS does it mean so far Everything looking good for me ?

Nobody from 4600 has received a score. By receiving an invitation to take BOSS, you can safely say you received a passing score on the written exam. Then we all await the list and score notifications.

Edited by 161passenger

Alright thanks guys I feel better about it lol...how long is a typical bus route? How many routes in a day? All this is such valuable info to me lol

Read the tons of other threads on this site..... And I mean tons

Alright thanks guys I feel better about it lol...how long is a typical bus route? How many routes in a day? All this is such valuable info to me lol

To answer your question, long story short...it varies, and if you do some math, you'll get the answer.

For example: Look at the Q26 (http://web.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/queens/q026cur.pdf). The actual route is about 20 minutes, plus a 10 minute break equals 30 minute. In a normal 7 hour day (3 hours in the morning from 6 AM to 9 AM,  4 hours in the afternoon from 3:45 to 7:45) that would equal 14 runs (7 hours with 2 runs in an hour). 

If you want a more specific answer, just look at the timetable for a particular bus route and do some basic calculations using the information given, like I did above. Just remember that a normal day consists of eight [8] hours and make sure to calculate some time for a meal. And if you think about it: The longer the route, the smaller the amount of runs you will have.

Also, like another member stated in post # 1655, just look at the other threads, including B/O exam 2613 and B/O exam 3101...and these are only a few threads compared to the "tons" of other threads.

Hey guys. I just have a question. I'm going to take my CDL permit test soon at the DMV and would like to know if theres any specific locations that are good for taking it and I have the CDL study guide from the DMV and would like to know what i need to study for the cdl test and when i apply to take the test, are there any specific ones i need to take so i can at least have that when the MTA calls? Thanks in advance. Hope everyone is enjoying their day

Justdre88, if it is convenient to you, I suggest going to the DMV in Midtown at 31st Street between 8th and 9th. They are very efficient. I came in three different days and each time, I was in and out in 15-20 minutes. 

Definitely read from the NYS CDL booklet, Sections 2, 3 (General Knowledge), Section 4 (Passenger Endorsement), Section 5 (Air Brakes), everything there can be used on the examinations.

Most people take all three examinations all on the same day; however, I took the exams in the following order: Air Brakes (Day 1/ $10), then General Knowledge CDL (Day 2/$10) and Passenger Endorsement (Day 3 $5). I may have paid $10-$15 more, but I did not want to stress. On Day 3, when I completed everything, I filled out the paperwork and paid $12.50 for the permit. If you are planning to drive for MTA (meaning you won't use a CDL for employment prior to being called), on the form MV-44, which they will give you once you pass everything, you can select 'Excepted Interstate' with an A3 restriction (per several B/O's here, this is acceptable).

Also, if you think you should have received a letter for the BOSS, but did not:

If you do not receive an admission letter by May 5, 2015, you must come to the MTA Exam Information Center located in the Lobby of 180 Livingston Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201 between the hours of 9 AM – 3 PM, Mondays through Fridays.

Edited by 161passenger