MTA Seeks To Implement New SBS Bus Route in Brooklyn

East New York

Good day NYCTF!!

I have confirmed that the MTA is seeking $9 Million to $15 Million to start up a brand new route between Brooklyn Jay Street Subway station, and the Myrtle-Wycoff Station.

Im am sold the route will be somewhat of a Super-Select with very limited stops (4 or less) if any, directly to and from downtown Brooklyn. 

Articulated buses will be used on the route, and the associated costs include buses, wraps, and SBS machines.

As far as the depot, I am hearing it would be out of Grand Avenue, which will be able to handle an articulated fleet in the very near future.

This is developing by the hour. As more information comes in I will be sure to post.

Good day NYCTF!!

I have confirmed that the MTA is seeking $9 Million to $15 Million to start up a brand new route between Brooklyn Jay Street Subway station, and the Myrtle-Wycoff Station.

Im am sold the route will be somewhat of a Super-Select with very limited stops (4 or less) if any, directly to and from downtown Brooklyn. 

Articulated buses will be used on the route, and the associated costs include buses, wraps, and SBS machines.

As far as the depot, I am hearing it would be out of Grand Avenue, which will be able to handle an articulated fleet in the very near future.

This is developing by the hour. As more information comes in I will be sure to post.

Thank you for the update!

Could this be part of the plan for the L and M shutdown? Would this run down Myrtle, replicating the old Myrtle Avenue Elevated?

The final routing has yet to be confirmed. Until we get more detail, I don't want to speak too much on it yet. It does however appear it could be some version of a B54 SBS, but I wouldn't necessarily count on it. I expect it to be a new route, that will not be associated or branded with the current B54.

My preliminary take is that there will be new routing where dedicated lanes would be appropriate. I think it would be quite inefficient if it were to parallel the B54 in anything more than a few areas. I have been reviewing the routing all day, and in light of the

Now, If I were in charge, It would be routed as such: (Just a sample of a 2-branch idea i've had for a while now)

Eastbound B53 SBS

(MTA) SBS Station: Jay St - Metro Tech (A)(C)(F)(R)

North on Jay St, East/Right on Tillary

(MTA) SBS Station: Tillary/Jay St - NYC College of Tech

Continue east on Tillary

(MTA) SBS Station: Tillary/Gold

Continue East, and merge onto the BQE. Exit at Flushing Av, continue East/Right

(MTA) SBS Station: Nostrand/Marcy [b44] SBS, (G)

Continue East on Flushing Av

(MTA) SBS Station: Flushing/Broadway (J)(M)

Continue East on Flushing, Right/Southeast on Wilson

(MTA) SBS Station: Myrtle-Wycoff (L)(M)

Another version would be super-SBS. Non-stop from Tillary and Gold to Myrtle-Wycoff B53x SBS

Cool! So need something like that!

I always thought an LTD (or now, SBS) could use Park Ave. (and stay on, to Broadway). That street has the highway above until Classon, and then remains wide and usually more clear, afterward.

Above all, it needs to stay off of all the other busy, narrow east/west streets, where the lights all favor the north/south avenues. Even riding a car is slow through there!

I read that it could be a route that runs along one of these three routes:

1. B38

2. B54

3. B57

I'm not sure why they want to create a completely new route instead of making the B38 SBS. Maybe it has to do with how the LTD and SBS is set up, but I think that it can be possible if some of the B38 is tweaked a bit with the depots it runs out of.

Cool! So need something like that!

I always thought an LTD (or now, SBS) could use Park Ave. (and stay on, to Broadway). That street has the highway above until Classon, and then remains wide and usually more clear, afterward.

Above all, it needs to stay off of all the other busy, narrow east/west streets, where the lights all favor the north/south avenues. Even riding a car is slow through there!

Park Av doesn't really open up until like Nostrand Av. Between Nostrand and where the BQE branches off (I think that's Classon Av) is a traffic nightmare. Only one driving lane in each direction, and tons of deliveries and double parking.

I would've guessed they would've turned the B38 into SBS, seems the most logical/convenient of the 4 main Downtown Brooklyn Ridgewood routes.

I'm not sure why they want to create a completely new route instead of making the B38 SBS. Maybe it has to do with how the LTD and SBS is set up, but I think that it can be possible if some of the B38 is tweaked a bit with the depots it runs out of.

I meant to say local. Didn't realize my mistake til now.

A dedicated SBS lane could work on Lafayette Ave without impinging on parking until it crosses Marcy Ave where the street narrows, all the way to Patchen Ave/Broadway. SBS on DeKalb Ave e/o Bushwick Ave? I'm not so sure. Very narrow two way street. DeKalb Ave w/o Bushwick? No problem all the way down.

I foresee the same problem on Wilson Ave with the new SBS route; the street is so narrow that when two B60's traveling in opposite directions come together, one gives way to the other. Placing a dedicated lane on each side would force traffic closer to the center because the SBS lanes would be wider than the space cars use for parking. Making Wilson one way south would solve that. Knickerbocker Ave could be used for the return trip.

However the new route is configured it would be great to have.

Yeah cause that wouldn't be logical at all to use the B38 or the B54 in my opinion. I've used both of those routes quite a few times and the traffic conditions and double parking on Myrtle especially would not make these options attractive at all. Flushing Av could be doable. B53 SBS and Super SBS as mentioned in my edited post above.

I'm inclined to believe that this is some sort of compromise for the (L) closure.... Quick link from Myrtle-Wyckoff to all the subway lines (that the L connects to anyway, in Manhattan) in Downtown Brooklyn....

I would like for the B57 to be diverted off Flushing (west of Tompkins/Throop) & onto Park av. anyway.... But it would be a *bonus* if they were to change the face (so to speak) of the route - to run from Downtown to Myrtle-Wyckoff (instead of Maspeth - Fresh Pond rd.)..... For the purposes of an SBS route, you could get rid of the "B57" notation & call it the B54 SBS for all I care...

In a nutshell, what I'm saying is:

- The B54 route would be left alone (via Myrtle)...

- The "B54 SBS" (for discussion purposes) would be a route that runs b/w Myrtle-Wyckoff & Jay st via Park....

I don't feel like drawing a map, but the route (from downtown) would do Jay > Tillary > Park > Throop > Flushing > Wyckoff....

Park is much quicker than Myrtle.

I think the BQE would be a better option than Park.

I suppose... But I'm someone that outright refuses to drive on three highways in this city (the BQE is one of them), so I'm not as quick to advocate a bus route take the BQE.....

What I will say is, either is better than Myrtle.

I think the BQE would be a better option than Park.

BQE prone to delays. Not the best.

However, Park Avenue would be logical.

If the BQE. The SBS has to be a dedicated lane from Tillary to Flushing.

I like the B53SBS identification. It gives an unique route a different face and it's an exclusive Downtown to Bushwick Express rather than B38 and B54.

You aren't in charge? I thought DOB management reported to you.

Well seeing as I submitted an official report to the DOB about what I would do If I was CEO and they had 99% of it implemented since 2008, you tell me....

Oh yeah, and by the way, DOB management does report to me.... Where do you think get all this information from ass hole?? You are really starting to piss me off, and now you are officially on my shit list! I make it a habit of ignoring you, but now I'm coming for you. Cut the shit now! If you don't like it find somewhere else to rant. This is a privately run forum. You can get banned at anytime for any reason without explanation. Now keep trying me and see what happens...... I am NOT the one..

I suggest you get a life and find something to do other than come for me, because the gloves are officially off now, and you have been warned for the last time..... Check yourself now before I check you. Grow up or get banned. Period.

Respectfully speaking, he's a high-ranking member of the DOB in the MTA (if not higher than that), but he isn't on the board in Albany basically. 

Do I have that right ENY? Hope that makes sense and is a layman's way of describing your position in the MTA.

What I'm implying is that any idea he's put forth, any submission to the DOB, any submission to Albany, whatever the case may be - has to still go through the people with the budget books. He's not the CEO, but if he makes any suggestions to the higher ups, he is trusted to be listened to based on his experience.

MTA is a serious corporate business, can't divulge too deep without someone saying "Who are you, who are you with?" Don't knock the source because he can't tell you the whole story. In a corporate environment, you'd be lucky to have this information at all - most companies would've hung him out to dry (figuratively speaking).

This isn't a kiss-up or anything, I just can understand that he's gotta operate that way based on where he is in the company.

As for the initial topic - so a  (MJ), bus style basically? I kinda like the proposal from the MTA, seems like it may help the  (A) a little bit during the rush hour.

Something like that Rick, but I don't work directly for the MTA. I own my own business, and I consult with the MTA and have put forth countless initiatives to better transit over all. That is my job. I don't have to report to anyone directly, and I have contacts with countless executives, managers, and supervisors. They gave me the nick name ENY because of my knowledge of the system and all the advocating I have done over the last 8 years.....

I appreciate the back up, but you don't have to explain anything to him.... He's just trying to make himself relevant the best way he knows how...

Now back on topic, the details haven't been put out yet so you know anything can change.... What I posted is all I can confirm at this point. However, I was told that the MTA plans on making It public with more details, and even gave a brief statement to BK 12 news already about it. So that means it's one day closer to being in Black and White....

Archived