Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) Well of course there wouldn't be many riders at that time. Hell the buses at that time going to the city aren't crowded in general, so that isn't a good way to analyze ridership at all on the X10.

2) No it doesn't. However, that sign that says "Welcome to Port Richmond" on Forest by Willowbrook by that Burger King is a clear sign that it is Port Richmond. :P

3) I wouldn't say that. She's just being realistic. There are some pockets on the North Shore that do have "high" crime when compared to more affluent parts of the North Shore and South Shore and Staten Island as a whole, which has very little crime.

4) LOL... Boy you are clumsy huh?? :eek: Well in any event, you had two express bus riders from two different lines try to help you so that says something.... Ahemm Class=most express riders... :cool: :tup: ;)

1) You also have to consider that going to school in the morning, I'm passing buses going in the opposite direction, so I could count the riders at that time as well.

2) It's a sign that you're entering Port Richmond. Technically, the side of the street with the sign is in Westerleigh.

3) But think about it: You were trying to explain how Port Richmond is a high-crime area to people from all across NYC. Yeah, for SI the crime rate is high, but compared to the rest of the city, it's not that much higher than average.

4) Actually, it was pitch black both times. Believe me, I'm not the type of person who slips on random stuff. :eek:

And most express bus riders are that type of person, but there's always a few bad apples just like every other form of transit.

1) You also have to consider that going to school in the morning, I'm passing buses going in the opposite direction, so I could count the riders at that time as well.

Yeah yeah yeah... You have to consider that they have the X14 as an alternative No one wants to use the X10 at that time because it takes longer, but during the off hours it is used more since there are fewer alternatives.

2) It's a sign that you're entering Port Richmond. Technically, the side of the street with the sign is in Westerleigh.

Yeah technically, but try telling someone that that side of the street is Westerleigh... lol When I think of Westerleigh I think of charming houses, trees and nice clean streets, not some grease spoon like Burger King with run down businesses next to it. :eek: Sounds more like Port Richmond to me. :P

3) But think about it: You were trying to explain how Port Richmond is a high-crime area to people from all across NYC. Yeah, for SI the crime rate is high, but compared to the rest of the city, it's not that much higher than average.

I think I was clear before in saying that it is a high crime area compared to Staten Island... ;)

4) Actually, it was pitch black both times. Believe me, I'm not the type of person who slips on random stuff. :eek:

And most express bus riders are that type of person, but there's always a few bad apples just like every other form of transit.

Of course. Not denying that.

Yeah yeah yeah... You have to consider that they have the X14 as an alternative No one wants to use the X10 at that time because it takes longer, but during the off hours it is used more since there are fewer alternatives.

I guess...

Yeah technically, but try telling someone that that side of the street is Westerleigh... lol When I think of Westerleigh I think of charming houses, trees and nice clean streets, not some grease spoon like Burger King with run down businesses next to it. :eek: Sounds more like Port Richmond to me. :P

Well, maybe that particular intersection doesn't look that nice, but go down about 1/2 block and you start to see trees and everything.

I think I was clear before in saying that it is a high crime area compared to Staten Island... ;)

3) You said:

There are a few express bus lines that suck, and one of them is the X10, but again look where it finishes at.... In Port Richmond, an area known for high crime. :eek:

Well I did my part today... Dinner was $126.00 w/tip. I walked out of the Italian restaurant and made my way towards Union Square to get some Express Bus Metrocards and along the way I saw a homeless guy. Couldn't have been any older than me, so I gave him my taxi money that I had left over to get home tonight from the express bus ($12.00). I felt pretty bad that he was out in the cold. He looked so depressed. He looked up and said "Look at me. I'm not a drug addict or anything." I told him "I know" and for him to get himself something to eat. I wish I had more to give but I wasn't near a Chase bank or any bank for that matter. :P

So deed #1 done. Then I go down to get Metrocards and there's some Latinos there trying to use the Metrocard machine. They saw me use the Spanish option for the vending machine and ask if I speak Spanish and I reply "Yes". It was funny because I was a bit tipsy and had been speaking Italian and English off and on w/the waitress, but my Spanish was spot on. I tend to mix up Spanish & Italian sometimes when I use both back and forth, but my thinking was clear considering that I had just had two glasses of wine and two digestivi. They were going to the Empire State Building and I had to tell them how many rides to get (there was three of them), what trains they could take to 34th st ((N) and (Q)) and then where to go once they reached Herald Sq. They thanked me and I wished them luck and such and Spanish and went about getting my Express Bus cards.

I strolled over to Union Square and an X10 was pulling in... 2226.... :cool:

Well at least I can say that I tried...

I guess...

Well, maybe that particular intersection doesn't look that nice, but go down about 1/2 block and you start to see trees and everything.

Well yeah... My neighborhood is like that too, although you can go a bit north of Forest Avenue and still see trees and nice houses, but the houses become nicer and there's more green as you go past Forest Avenue. Along Forest Avenue, we do have a lot of trees though. I notice that along Forest Avenue I don't see many trees in Port Richmond. My Venezuelan friend was driving me home in his Mustang from West New York where he lives in NJ and he commented on how you could tell that you were going into a nicer area because there's trees and such. LOL

Edited by lance25

Guest lance25
Does anybody here like the new Youtube format? I find it meh.

I find it annoying that every few weeks or so, Google (or YouTube, I really don't care which) keeps "updating" their website. Not only are these updates completely unnecessary, they're phased in and out so fast that no one can get used to anything.

And seriously, who decided gray on gray on gray is a good color choice? Whoever thought that was a good idea should be fired.

It's too bad we can't go back to the YouTube of say, 2007 where things were simple and less cluttered. You liked a video, you click the favorite button. You want to subscribe to someone, you click the yellow subscribe button.

Front Page

www.us.archive.org. youtube. com/watch?v=-xEzGIuY7kw&mode=related&search=

Both links courtesy of the Internet Archive. Remove the spaces on the second one as I didn't want the current YT link to come up here.

I find it annoying that every few weeks or so, Google (or YouTube, I really don't care which) keeps "updating" their website. Not only are these updates completely unnecessary, they're phased in and out so fast that no one can get used to anything.

And seriously, who decided gray on gray on gray is a good color choice? Whoever thought that was a good idea should be fired.

It's too bad we can't go back to the YouTube of say, 2007 where things were simple and less cluttered. You liked a video, you click the favorite button. You want to subscribe to someone, you click the yellow subscribe button.

Front Page

Both links courtesy of the Internet Archive. Remove the spaces on the second one as I didn't want the current YT link to come up here.

I am using Youtube now and I was thinking the same thing... They have a link to vote on the "new" website and I was thinking to myself "Why bother to vote when they keep changing it constantly?" :confused:

Front Page

I am using Youtube now and I was thinking the same thing... They have a link to vote on the "new" website and I was thinking to myself "Why bother to vote when they keep changing it constantly?" :confused:

I agree with both of you. Sites like Youtube, Facebook or other social media sites has never heard of "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

M4 carbine?

Mforgery. M4s are select-fire carbines with 14.5" barrels, my AR is semi-automatic with a 16" barrel. Rifles with barrels shorter than 16" are considered short-barreled rifles (SBRs)...unfortunately SBRs are illegal in NY (but legal in most states, along with short-barreled shotguns, suppressors and machineguns.)

Anybody ever caught that homeless comedian usually on the (A)? He gave everybody a good laugh and killed some time on our trip back home from Times Square. Just one of the many crazy characters that can be found in the subway around 3 AM, which is usually when the subway is live. :cool:

Anybody ever caught that homeless comedian usually on the (A)? He gave everybody a good laugh and killed some time on our trip back home from Times Square. Just one of the many crazy characters that can be found in the subway around 3 AM, which is usually when the subway is live. :cool:

Was he talking about his wife?

Guest lance25
I'm at CSI and I saw 2 nerds almost get into a fight over something to do with the quadratic formula. :eek:

Wow. :P That's surprising. (Yeah, let's go with that.) I'll admit that math is my favorite subject, but I'm not going to get in a fight over how to do formulas.

Sure has. Anyway...

I'm at CSI and I saw 2 nerds almost get into a fight over something to do with the quadratic formula. :eek:

CSI... Your home away from home... :P A bit ironic that CSI was one of the first places I went to on some of my first trips to Staten Island. I had to go there to get briefed on my study abroad trip to Italy. All I could remember was how packed and annoyingly slow the local bus. :mad: If I only knew about the X10 then... ;)

CSI... Your home away from home... :) A bit ironic that CSI was one of the first places I went to on some of my first trips to Staten Island. I had to go there to get briefed on my study abroad trip to Italy. All I could remember was how packed and annoyingly slow the local bus. :mad: If I only knew about the X10 then... :(

LOL. Well, my family only has one computer with Internet access, so it's easier to come over here than to argue with everybody else over who gets to use it.

And yeah, it would be nice if they advertised the X10 more. I don't even think the early advertisements mentioned the X10 as an option to reach the college, just the S62 (and later on after they created the S93, they mentioned the X10 as an afterthought)