Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What happened to that whole "moving out of the country thing" when the guy you didn't like won? This seems like too much work for me.

well if all the people who said they were moving out of the country if bush won, we wouldnt have obama today, which in my opinion would be perfect.

now for the secession movement, there is nothing in the constitution that allows or forbids secession. now when the south seceded prior to the civil war, they used the part of the declaraton of independence that says

"Governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it and to institute new government."

Lincoln did not agree with that, he used a part of the Articles of confederation which said

'articles of Confederation and perpetual union between the states of new hampshire, massachusetts-bay, Rhode island and Providence plantations,connecticuit, New york, New jersey,pennsylvania, Delaware, maryland,, virginia, North carolina, South Carolina and Georgia"

Now in the 1869 Supreme Court Decision in Texas v White, which was about Texas selling US Government Bonds that they held, during the civil war, texas sold them, In the majority opinion by chief Justice Solomon Chase, who was Secretary of the Treasury in the Lincoln administration, chase used Lincoln`s interpretation of the constitution saying that the phrase "to form a more perfect union" meant what the Articles of Confederation said by calling the union perpetual. he wrote that since texas entered a perpetual union, the secession was unconstitutional so therefore they were still a part of the Union, during the Civil War so any decision by Texas, excluding civil cases like marraiges, civil matters,, etc were null and void.

Many constitutional scholars are troubled by the decision because while texas used a part of a document that s an official government document (The Declaration) Chase used a part of a document that is not an official document (The articles) and took a liberal interpretation of the phrase "a more perfect union"

That said, in 1870, President Grant signed an act that re-admitted Texas to the Union. so we have 2 branches of the federal government contradicting each other.

Now In my opinion, states that have secession movements, that use territory that was either purchased or annexed by the United States cant secede because the land was part of the United states already before that state entered the union.

Texas on the other hand is different. Texas was an independent country from 1836-1845 before they voluntarilly joined the union. Therefore the Texas secession movement claims that since Texas joined voluntarilly, they can leave voluntarilly.

it will be interesting to see what happens.

joe

I'm still patient/waiting/curious to see what they're gonna turn that old white castle (by the junction) into....

But yeah, about that BK over there by the depot.... I noticed that when I went out to fan the B2 two saturdays ago.... Yup, place wasn't gettin all that much business to tell the truth (been like that for a while now), and the young chicks they had working the register (although good looking) didn't know what the hell they were doing..... Don't know how many times they were "under new management"..... When I was in high school, that BK was actually a hangout spot; seen quite a few fights in front of that place back in the day.....

Having it changed up to be a BK/Popeyes makes sense.... It works for that one over there on 5th & 86th in Bay Ridge (although I see deeper lines for popeyes in there though)...... IMO, BK's falling off anyway.... Keep it up, and Popeyes goin take over everything... Lol...

When you start seeing Popeyes in so-called "white" areas, that's rather telling..... What gets me is that the ones out in flushing (around the corner from the (7)) & the one in chinatown (over there by the manhattan bridge) stay packed.... I don't know what college/high school that is over there by the chinatown one, but those students are boisterous as all get out.... Most the time I do eat in there, b/c I'm not tryna walk the bridge chowin' down on chicken, while having to look out for bicyclists in the process.....

Funny you should mention the Chinatown spot. It was packed when I passed by it after 5pm on a weekend. I dunno what's so great about the food, but hey if it is filled, then all the power to them. All honesty I think it'd be nice if there were more Wendy's or similar burger chains around that are not BK or McD's.

I see NABIs there. Either that or Neoplans.

I see NABI's too.... Could have sworn I saw the compobus in the trailer...

From what I have seen, at least two schemes will be offered. Orange and Red, or Local and Rapid respectively.

So that's what those two colors mean? Thanks, never knew that but I wondered about it...

That'd be hilarious if all 50 did break off leaving just DC by itself. You can only 'tax and spend' so much till people gets fed up with the Fed.

We might as well start to get the saw to cut off the states then it will be 50 islands lol... :lol:

Edited by NYCtrainfan01

But it's alright. They'll lose all 50 states, but it'll be worth it when they acquire Puerto Rico. Great climate, beautiful women, and the list goes on. :D

I for one would immigrate to PR in a heartbeat should that happen. But if California doesn't belong to the U.S, does that make me illegal? :huh:

Random Thoughts regarding this week's Billboard Hot 100

Congrats to Flo Rida for scoring his 4th Top 10 off the album "Wild Ones". The latest hit, "I Cry" actually samples an '80s song which I didn't know about.

New Rock bands have made an impact. Fun's "Some Nights" continues to hold a Top 5 spot while The Lumineers and Imagine Dragons each land at #13 and #23 with their debut singles. Those rankings are high for rock songs who have to compete against catchier "club bangers".

Justin Bieber's "As Long As You Love Me" has finally dropped from the Top 10. :)

Ellie Goulding's "Lights" remains on the chart at #21 marking it's 47th week on the Hot 100 (it peaked at #2). I like this song a lot and am happy that this is the longest running track on the chart.

Psy's ultra-popular "Gangnam Style" falls to #5 after another week of declining radio audience. The Korean star has created a worldwide banger yet it has not gained the interests of Top 40 radio in the United States. Given the huge weight radio airplay gets in a chart like the Hot 100, Psy will likely continue to drop on the chart and will never go #1 in the U.S. (something he's done in a host of other nations)

Why the (bleep) is "Diamonds" at #2? Does every Rihanna single touched by a Top 40 radio station have to get popular?

Congrats to Maroon 5 for another week (9th consecutive) at #1 with the hit "One More Night". This one is very catchy and deserves the #1 spot. I hope when this track loses the top rank a decent one takes it's place and not "Diamonds" as expected.

Edited by JubaionBx12+SBS

Sigh...

So, there are two internet networks at my school, one for middle schoolers, one for high schoolers. The middle school one is filtered, but all you have to do to get on the high school one is to enter your school email/password. Now, the figured out we were doing that and they changed the permissions on EACH INDIVIDUAL EMAIL so the high school one was filtered just for us... aren't there better things the tech department could be doing? Smh

Please stop literally spamming this all over the site...

Come on dude, everyone has their opinion.

not no more... google it.. and you'll see why i posted that

I was lol'ing when I read that.

To whom it may interest, Hostess is closing all of their operations, and is placing their brands for sale.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/hostess-close-cites-nationwide-worker-123953115.html

Edited by Turbo19