Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

Why do they have the stupidest rules at my school? There are a few side doors to the school, but you're only supposed to come in through the cafeteria one. Like what the hell is the point in that? It doesn't do anything security-wise. It's just a PITA to have to go around and then go back if your class is at the other end of the school.

If they want to "teach us a lesson" about punctuality, for those who are running late, then they should apply that to the teachers as well. <_<

(And no, it didn't affect me today, but I'm just talking in general).

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do they have the stupidest rules at my school? There are a few side doors to the school, but you're only supposed to come in through the cafeteria one. Like what the hell is the point in that? It doesn't do anything security-wise. It's just a PITA to have to go around and then go back if your class is at the other end of the school.

If they want to "teach us a lesson" about punctuality, for those who are running late, then they should apply that to the teachers as well. <_<

(And no, it didn't affect me today, but I'm just talking in general).

Simple... They either don't want to have security there, don't have enough security or they want to control how many access points there are to enter. They do that in various places, not just schools. PITA but what can you do...

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Simple... They either don't want to have security there, don't have enough security or they want to control how many access points there are to enter. They do that in various places, not just schools. PITA but what can you do...

That's not it at all.

My issue isn't the fact that we're not allowed in (well, that's part of it, but not the whole reason). The thing is that sometimes they leave it unlocked, but they keep a security guard there for the sole purpose of stopping people who try to come in that way. Like, they're kids. They're obviously not a threat to the school, so what's the point in blocking them?

I swear, those security guards are useless. I don't recall the last time they actually did something that prevented harm to the students. They just walk around and shout "Let's go" if you're in the halls after the bell rings (which doesn't do anything because the kids who cut can easily find a way around them). There are almost never any fights to break up (and aside from that, you have a bunch of deans anyway).

But well, there's nothing you can do.

That's not it at all.

My issue isn't the fact that we're not allowed in (well, that's part of it, but not the whole reason). The thing is that sometimes they leave it unlocked, but they keep a security guard there for the sole purpose of stopping people who try to come in that way. Like, they're kids. They're obviously not a threat to the school, so what's the point in blocking them?

I swear, those security guards are useless. I don't recall the last time they actually did something that prevented harm to the students. They just walk around and shout "Let's go" if you're in the halls after the bell rings (which doesn't do anything because the kids who cut can easily find a way around them). There are almost never any fights to break up (and aside from that, you have a bunch of deans anyway).

But well, there's nothing you can do.

I know because I've worked security before. We have the same stupidity in my office building. There are several exits but after a certain time only one is open even though there is a security guard at the other exits, but after a certain time they want everyone coming through one exit since it is easier to control who comes in and out though annoying for those who prefer to use the other exits.

It can be annoying, and I do think security resources could be diverted elsewhere. However, it's not done for no reason.

Well you have to understand that the goal is to deter events from happening so ideally they would like to have several security guards where possible. At some point they all need to take a break and so if you have several of them you can rotate them.

Rina-chan/MeleePrincess of the MLP:FIM/brony fandom is known for voicing the characters so well, whether it's main, secondary, or background. They are extremely accurate or quite close. (Her most well-known voicing is easily Twilight Sparkle.) Only a few can do it so well.

About two months ago, she began recording those voices on a new microphone and posted this video displaying her wide range. Here, she attempts to voice the characters and how close she can capture them in tone and personality. Have a listen to this great presentation! biggrin.png

LOL. On Yahoo! Answers, I saw a student get busted by their teacher. Too bad I can't find it now. It was in the Mathematics section, and it had something to do with sine of beta or something, and 2 hours ago.

The teacher said something like "Really Joseph?", in case anybody wants to look for it.

EDIT: Never mind. Apparently, it was just because it was a relatively easy problem: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AmQEx1NMoZ8kmGq3gS6U3MgjzKIX;_ylv=3?qid=20121129170035AAmZJtU

Didn't want to make a thread for such a small question but is there an official term for that howling sound you'd hear as a long freight consist picks up speed? Love that sound...

Here's a perfect example... Start at 1:50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1OZI27ePDw

Edited by Jamaica Line

Damn, I've been walking to school for well over 3 years, and there's a shortcut that it never occurred to me to take. And yet my brother thought of it after just a few months.

And I was just thinking of some of the stupid rules they have in my school library. The librarians tell us not to exit from the back, because "It's not an exit", even when there's a big "Exit" sign there. :rolleyes: (in fact, for the door they want us to exit through, I don't think there's an "Exit" sign) Just another stupid rule at my school. -_-

So I was working on a project, and I got caught up in Yahoo Answers. The Law & Ethics category is quite entertaining. (Iv'e seen "Hypothetically speaking, if I had a dead body, how would I dispose of it", "What's the most powerful gun you can own legally in Britain" ,oh and one with a very descriptive title; "HELP!! Is this illegal? Pedophile?")

:lol: