Off-topic Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

I just realized I was thinking of the wrong term. The term I was looking for to see how it was related to the Netherlands was Arlington, not Holland. I know somewhere I heard of the word Arlington being used with some connection to the Netherlands, but when I search for the term "Arlington", I keep getting Arlington, Virginia and things like that, but nothing related to the Netherlands.

I was always wondering because the streets in the Mariners' Harbor area have a lot of Dutch names, and Arlington (both the neighborhood that's sometimes considered a subsection of Mariners' Harbor, and Arlington Avenue/Arlington Place) is definitely a Dutch word, but I don't know the exact history behind it.

Interestingly enough, one of the major arterials in Riverside (south of me) is named Arlington. Even stranger is that is the only road that has a distinct name like that. Other parallel roads are Colorado, California, etc. I honestly don't know the history, nor do I put much thought into it.

• Replies 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See, I knew Holland was related to the Netherlands somehow. It's just another name for the same country: https://maps.google....Netherlands&z=7

The correct term is the Netherlands. Folks throw around Holland and the Netherlands interchangeably but they really aren't interchangeable. The Netherlands refers to the country and its "low lands" hence the term "i Paesi Bassi" and "los Países Bajos" in Italian and Spanish. The land is flat which historically meant that the Dutch were vulernable to being attacked from neighboring European countries, which was certainly true during WWII when the Germans stormed in and quickly took control over the small country.

Most countries in Europe had fortresses up in the hills back in the old days (many of which still exist in places like Italy) in which they could watch to see when they were under attack and then prepare to attack the invaders from up in the hills who were in most cases at a disadvantage for obvious reasons.

In reality, when Holland is used it technically only refers to a small part of the current country and was the original name of the country before it expanded, but it's still used as if it refers to the entire country. This is what confuses folks. In colloquial speech there's also the tendency of folks to use the two terms interchangeably because most folks aren't going to keep saying "the Netherlands" over and over. Holland is shorter and since they aren't aware that the two terms are not technically the same they'll just say Holland since most understand what they mean to say.

Also, Arlington is more likely to be English if anything. Not all of the names here are Dutch. Remember that the English had an huge influence here as well and were here before the Dutch came.. Places like "New York" for example came from the English... Named after the Duke of York... There are other names that are certainly English too... Other names are named after royal families that settled here and were wealthy and had a large influence on many of the buildings built here.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I've been realizing a lot about how my transit hobby has affected my life..

I have met so many great people who have become an important part of my life and have had a lot of memories (good ones of course).

Many think that the transit hobby only involves getting pictures and riding equipment but honestly, there is more than that, there are opportunities for good relationships with others that have something in common with you. It's just really cool. Has anyone else ever felt that way?

I've been realizing a lot about how my transit hobby has affected my life..

I have met so many great people who have become an important part of my life and have had a lot of memories (good ones of course).

Many think that the transit hobby only involves getting pictures and riding equipment but honestly, there is more than that, there are opportunities for good relationships with others that have something in common with you. It's just really cool. Has anyone else ever felt that way?

Yes, I can relate. Many of my friendships and other relationships started on transit, and I've even met people I would have never guessed were transit fans at first glance. That what I love about being a transit fan. You become a much more social person by being exposed to such socialable, diverse people. Truly nothing can replicate that experience.

Yeah, I've kept in touch with folks in the transit community much longer than friends I used to go to school with for years. They've all gone their separate ways and I still have contact with guys here. Great thing is that we have common interests beyond trains and buses too.

Same here! In the transit community, it's our thing for transit that keeps us close as friends! Among other things... I too have met many good folks here and I'm glad to have met them! (You being one of them GC) :)

Our common interest besides transit would be anime, video games (GTA being the most common with us) and a few other stuff!

Same here! In the transit community, it's our thing for transit that keeps us close as friends! Among other things... I too have met many good folks here and I'm glad to have met them! (You being one of them GC) :)

Our common interest besides transit would be anime, video games (GTA being the most common with us) and a few other stuff!

It never ceases to surprise me how much others in the community share in common with you.

It never ceases to surprise me how much others in the community share in common with you.

I agree! Lots of people have things in common with other people around that they don't even know they had... A community such as this one allows us to talk to one another about anything not just transit!

So Gangnam Style is at 808 million views... Only a matter of time before it hits 1 billion....

This also mean that PSY finally beat out Justin Beiber for the #1 spot of most watched YouTube video of all time.

Edited by CDTA

So Gangnam Style is at 808 million views... Only a matter of time before it hits 1 billion....

This also mean that PSY finally beat out Justin Beiber for the #1 spot of most watched YouTube video of all time.

Gangnam Style also caught the attention from people who love horses, or 'horse junkies', because of a horse stable that was filed in the beginning of the video

Also, Arlington is more likely to be English if anything. Not all of the names here are Dutch. Remember that the English had an huge influence here as well and were here before the Dutch came.. Places like "New York" for example came from the English... Named after the Duke of York... There are other names that are certainly English too... Other names are named after royal families that settled here and were wealthy and had a large influence on many of the buildings built here.

Oh, wow. I just looked up Arlington, England, and that place exists, so it could very well be from there. I just figured that the Dutch had a strong presence in that particular area, so they would've named most of the streets after Dutch people/places. But I guess there were a few streets that the English named. I wonder what the origins of the word "Northfield" are for that matter.

Am I not seeing something?

Damn. It was supposed to zoom into some of the streets, and there would be like a few ovals saying "Missouri EE". I was wondering if that was some kind of transit route or something.

Zoom into Division & Grant Street and you should see it.

Oh, wow. I just looked up Arlington, England, and that place exists, so it could very well be from there. I just figured that the Dutch had a strong presence in that particular area, so they would've named most of the streets after Dutch people/places. But I guess there were a few streets that the English named. I wonder what the origins of the word "Northfield" are for that matter.

Yeah there are tons of English names here. It's a mix to be honest. You should also research royal families here in New York City. There are a ton of them for which streets were named after here. Since they were wealthy they were responsible often times for donating large sums of money to the city for construction and the city in turn honored them by naming streets and other important things after them. Some of the biggest families that I can think of here in the city are the Nagles, Dyckmans, Delafields and Ishams.

As for Staten Island, I believe the English controlled the island first and then the Dutch took it over at some point, so you're going to find a mix of names there and all over the city.

I can assure you though that Arlington is certainly not Dutch. Nothing Dutch about it at all. To my knowledge though just about all of the boroughs came from Dutch names of course translated from Dutch into English (Staten Island, Brooklyn, Manhattan and the Bronx all derived from Dutch names) (not sure about Queens off of the top of my head) and a lot of the neighborhoods and streets on Staten Island certainly came from Dutch names, especially the "Kills" and "villes" (Great Kills, Eltingville, Arthur Kill Rd, etc.)

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Random thought: What's up with all these recent YouTube changes? Are these people just bored or do they really think that people want a different website every two weeks?

Damn it. Guess what happened this morning? I'm watching a vid on Youtube and I scroll down to the comments. All of a sudden the comment format changes. I'm like, :blink: ? Then my vid stops. I refresh my tab and the site just reformats. Lastly, they have the audacity to play an 60 sec ad after the fact. This shit has to stop. <_<

Damn it. Guess what happened this morning? I'm watching a vid on Youtube and I scroll down to the comments. All of a sudden the comment format changes. I'm like, :blink: ? Then my vid stops. I refresh my tab and the site just reformats. Lastly, they have the audacity to play an 60 sec ad after the fact. This shit has to stop. <_<

Adblock dude. Works wonders on Youtube.

Damn. It was supposed to zoom into some of the streets, and there would be like a few ovals saying "Missouri EE". I was wondering if that was some kind of transit route or something.

Zoom into Division & Grant Street and you should see it.

Oh. I saw that. I guess it has to be...

SIDE NOTE:

Honors classes are a joke.

I swear you'll slowly start to lose interest in subway trains once you watch a mile long freight consist pulled by 16 ft tall, 200 ton plus locomotives. Standing about 15 ft from the tracks I can feel the vibration from the loud powerful engines. One of the best parts was hearing the very loud blasts of the horn.

The heavy tint of the locomotives windows and dark paint scheme makes them seem somewhat more intimidating...

This was via CSX railroad btw.

Edited by Jamaica Line