NovaBus LFS Articulated Discussion

R32 3348

What time was that? Btw, can you rotate the images? It would be so awesome if it was parked outside in front of the depot.

I'm going to try to walk to the end of the depot tomorrow.

it was parked outside for a while but i had to pull out so i couldn't get good pics of it. i doubt it will be there 2morrow

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, I agree, there was space issues with the D60HF Galaxy Articulateds in Flatbush. When 5508 was there when it was brand new, the bus got in the garage, but there was super tight space issues and the Nova LFS Artic is two feet longer than the New Flyer D60HF.

They will just slash runs to get those artics in there (if they put them there in the near future). Two 62ft buses, do the job of 3 40fters.........

Back to the NovaBus LFS artic, many were running today on the Bx12 SBS, and I noticed they don't have dual wheels on the B axle (center wheels). It is a single, with those larger single tires, that some trailers on semis sport. C axle is still dual though..........

They will just slash runs to get those artics in there (if they put them there in the near future). Two 62ft buses, do the job of 3 40fters.........

Back to the NovaBus LFS artic, many were running today on the Bx12 SBS, and I noticed they don't have dual wheels on the B axle (center wheels). It is a single, with those larger single tires, that some trailers on semis sport. C axle is still dual though..........

The LFS Artic and a whole different animal and can not be treated nor compared to the D60HF.

The LFS Artic and a whole different animal and can not be treated nor compared to the D60HF.

An MCI D4500, cannot be compared to a Prevost X3-45, a Prevost H3-45 cannot be compared to a Van-Hool T-2145 (except for them both being easy to roll over), that new Volvo bus (Furtado has one), cannot be compared to the Mercedes Setra bus, etc. Even two D60HF cannot be compared to one another. I know. Don't forget I spent 8 years driving buses (cheese and transit) and motorcoaches (Silver Eagle included)..........

I was still wondering, why the single B axle tires. Why no duals there? Other Low Floors have dual tires. Guess it saves money. IMO, those NovaBuses looked nice at first, but now I am starting to find them very ugly. Guess I'm use to the shorter A - B axle wheelbase, and longer B to C axle, most artics have, than the longer A - B axle, and shorter B - C axle the NovaBus has.......

An MCI D4500, cannot be compared to a Prevost X3-45, a Prevost H3-45 cannot be compared to a Van-Hool T-2145 (except for them both being easy to roll over), that new Volvo bus (Furtado has one), cannot be compared to the Mercedes Setra bus, etc. Even two D60HF cannot be compared to one another. I know. Don't forget I spent 8 years driving buses (cheese and transit) and motorcoaches (Silver Eagle included)..........

I was still wondering, why the single B axle tires. Why no duals there? Other Low Floors have dual tires. Guess it saves money. IMO, those NovaBuses looked nice at first, but now I am starting to find them very ugly. Guess I'm use to the shorter A - B axle wheelbase, and longer B to C axle, most artics have, than the longer A - B axle, and shorter B - C axle the NovaBus has.......

I've spent about the same time operating buses as well, both transit and motorcoaches, so i'm well aware!

I D K, its just a design thing for Nova I guess.

The A-B axle is shorter than the B-C axle on the LFS articulated, but by just 9 inches (22 feet to 22 feet 9 inches).

The A-B axle is shorter than the B-C axle on the LFS articulated, but by just 9 inches (22 feet to 22 feet 9 inches).

I'm addressing the wheel-base of the A - B and B - C axles of the New Flyers, compared to the A - B and B - C axles of the NovaBus. Those two buses have a different wheel-base, but they also have different front and rear body lengths to. Anyone can see that the NovaBus has a much longer front section, and a much shorter rear section, compared to a Neoplan or New Flyer, which has a slightly longer front section, and slightly shorter rear section. The NovaBus will have less rear corner intrusion, than the New Flyer, since it has a shorter rear section..........

These buses run on Sundays now

1200 & 1210 were back to back on Sunday on Pelham Pkwy

I managed to catch 1200 towards Manhattan today at Bay Plaza. The bus is nice, but slow as molasses. I've seen station wagons do better than that.

There was a burning smell in the rear when we reached Fordham Center. The bus was taken out of service at Sedgwick Avenue.

I managed to catch 1200 towards Manhattan today at Bay Plaza. The bus is nice, but slow as molasses. I've seen station wagons do better than that.

There was a burning smell in the rear when we reached Fordham Center. The bus was taken out of service at Sedgwick Avenue.

I really think MTA should halt NovaBus production of those buses, until they get the problem that is going on with the burning in the engine compartment taken care of. It's the wise thing to do. You do not want 95+ buses running around, that can potentially go up in flames. Under warranty or not, it costs if that happens. Get the problem fixed, so when anymore buses roll off the assembly line, they won't have that problem..........

But then again, it's the smart thing to do, so we know what most likely will happen...............

I really think MTA should halt NovaBus production of those buses, until they get the problem that is going on with the burning in the engine compartment taken care of. It's the wise thing to do. You do not want 95+ buses running around, that can potentially go up in flames. Under warranty or not, it costs if that happens. Get the problem fixed, so when anymore buses roll off the assembly line, they won't have that problem..........

But then again, it's the smart thing to do, so we know what most likely will happen...............

I haven't seen any buses driving around Plattsburgh lately and the (MTA) hasn't received any new buses since these problems started occurring so they must be working on it.

Its like vintage soul said in one post,that it could be the transmission burning by over Rev during acceleration.Fine tuning the gear ratio might do the trick.

I've ridden a few 12XX's. They do have a slow takeoff but whats the top speed on this bus. Is this bus governed at 40 like most nyct buses?

I think that these buses are governed at 50 or 55 mph.

I'm addressing the wheel-base of the A - B and B - C axles of the New Flyers, compared to the A - B and B - C axles of the NovaBus. Those two buses have a different wheel-base, but they also have different front and rear body lengths to. Anyone can see that the NovaBus has a much longer front section, and a much shorter rear section, compared to a Neoplan or New Flyer, which has a slightly longer front section, and slightly shorter rear section. The NovaBus will have less rear corner intrusion, than the New Flyer, since it has a shorter rear section..........

The D60HF has a 32-28 split; the LFSA probably has a 38-24 or a 39-23 split; it's similar to the NABI 436, where the front section drives like a standard rigid version.

Okay guys, those who has rode or at least seen 0055 got their chances in time. As per a post on the other board the bus has been sent back and now it's up to the MTA to decide if they want to pick up an 90+ bus order. I really hope they do.

I'm hoping they do. The NG's suck

I have to agree with you on that one, I don't like NGs either.

The LFS is also available as a HEV other than diesel. It's too bad that Nova doesn't do CNG or else we'd be seeing NovaBus CNG's coming in instead of the Orion 7 NG CNG's that are supposed to be replacing the aged Orion 5 CNGs. If the DesignLine order is canceled (that's the way I see it as there hasn't been a new arrival in a while), I wouldn't be surprised if the MTA picks up HEV orders for the LFS as well as diesel.

If the DesignLine order is canceled (that's the way I see it as there hasn't been a new arrival in a while), I wouldn't be surprised if the MTA picks up HEV orders for the LFS as well as diesel.

1305 is at Zerega while 1306 is at MHV undergoing testing. The (MTA) wants to seriously test both of these buses, and then make a decision as whether to carry out the order or to dump it.

1305 is at Zerega while 1306 is at MHV undergoing testing. The (MTA) wants to seriously test both of these buses, and then make a decision as whether to carry out the order or to dump it.

I'm kinda neutral on the DL bus right now. I need to ride both the LFS and the DL so give my appropriate feedback of them both. I've already seen the LFS' in person and been in the interiors and they look great. I'd really like to check out the DesignLine.

I hope both (DL & LFS) go through, the NG's & LFSA's had/have problems as well.

How seriously? MTA was serious accepting these buses. They already test these buses to death. They just buying time to try to get out of the FAILED order.

It would be interesting to see if someone will make a LAWSUIT out of this FAILED order.

Archived