Designline Eco-Saver IV Hybrid

Kingsbridge Bus

Thus if that is the case,then the turbine going out wouldn`t power the batteries,which powers the motors in the drive wheels which helps the Diesel engine accelerate the bus up hills and roads with less fuel consumption!!!!*pant,pant,pant*;)

The turbine is the engine. The DesignLines don't have diesel engines like the rest of our buses. The turbine, along with the generator(APU) powers the batteries, which power the wheels.

EDIT: This set-up makes them the cleanest buses in the city. Even over the CNG's!

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thus if that is the case,then the turbine going out wouldn`t power the batteries,which powers the motors in the drive wheels which helps the Diesel engine accelerate the bus up hills and roads with less fuel consumption!!!!*pant,pant,pant*;)

There is no diesel engine. They don't believe in it B)

It's just the turbine gen., the batteries and the electric motor :P

Yeah.sometime last yeah a Designline stalled heading up the RFK bridge incline.Some say it was the turbine that gave out.Others say the on-board computer failed.

That wasn't a fiasco. All the information that we know is that the bus kept losing more and more power as it kept making trips over the day across the bridge. It was determined that a bigger engine would be required so the bus wouldn't lose as much power. A bus losing power on a bridge isn't exactly a fiasco either...

Hakuna matata.

If only they didn't cost as much as an R142...

I thought they only cost $560K (according to some figures posted on this forum previously) each, while the NG's cost about $540K each. Are these figures wrong?

That wasn't a fiasco. All the information that we know is that the bus kept losing more and more power as it kept making trips over the day across the bridge. It was determined that a bigger engine would be required so the bus wouldn't lose as much power. A bus losing power on a bridge isn't exactly a fiasco either...

I thought they only cost $560K (according to some figures posted on this forum previously) each, while the NG's cost about $540K each. Are these figures wrong?

I never said it was a fiasco.

Basically they want this to suceed.:P

Hell, I want it to succeed :P

The tests with the C65 seemed to be successful, as there were tests with 1304 & 1306 going over to Queens, and our own FamousNYer spotted 1304 in LGA's Central Terminal. So its a sign of SOME success.

That's true, and he's still lucky for that

I only called it a fiasco cuz that's one of the main reasons why people here think it isn't gonna last long.

Don't the RTS and Orions have problems with hills as well? Forget the onramps, what about all those northern Bronxites and Staten Islanders?

What you're thinking of is the "rollback" the hybrids do. Its something about not having a transmission or something like that I'm not sure you might have to ask someone who is good in that department.

What you're thinking of is the "rollback" the hybrids do. Its something about not having a transmission or something like that I'm not sure you might have to ask someone who is good in that department.

Most all buses roll back if the hill is steep enough. The NG's and 3G's have a rollback reduction system of some kind.

Most all buses roll back if the hill is steep enough. The NG's and 3G's have a rollback reduction system of some kind.

The RTSs not as much as the other buses (only on a super steep as hill or stuck in a pothole :P) but those NGs have some noticible rollbacks and the OGs take the cake

Yes, the 3Gs do have a rollback system. It's called "EDGE" (Fresh Pond you know what I'm talking about) :P

But really, they do? Never noticed it. Those things still roll back somewhat.

The RTSs not as much as the other buses (only on a super steep as hill or stuck in a pothole :P) but those NGs have some noticible rollbacks and the OGs take the cake

Tell me about it.....Driver wanted to go UP the hill, but the bus said otherwise :P

Problem.

There's an issue with the HVAC and heating system, I'm being told, meaning that our current Designlines need to be inspected and potentially retrofitted, with undetermined effects on the rest of the order.

Apparently this stemmed from a Designline's heat dying on a run last week.

Expect considerable delays in terms of the order. [MTV? RTSes? Maybe?!]

Actually, the question should be if this is the final nail in the coffin for the order. It has been 16 months since 1302 entered service.

Has anyone figure how much money wasted and time on this new bus order?

I wont even surprised 2012 when we see 90 buses in all to be delivered if this order is still going on. They should really canceled this order and start a new RFP either straight diesels or hybrids. They can revisit back to DesignLine in the near future, once their business straighten out with the problems going on.

They can not drag any longer since there are many older buses going to be replaced coming very soon.

Yes, the 3Gs do have a rollback system. It's called "EDGE" (Fresh Pond you know what I'm talking about) :P

But really, they do? Never noticed it. Those things still roll back somewhat.

Tell me about it.....Driver wanted to go UP the hill, but the bus said otherwise :P

On regular streets, the NGs and OGs roll back regularly, some buses worse than others.

Lol @ the at&t joke!

I'm not sure what the rollback reduction system is actually called, but I know it was an added feature on the NG's. It doesn't seem to be too much different than the OG's though.

Problem.

There's an issue with the HVAC and heating system, I'm being told, meaning that our current Designlines need to be inspected and potentially retrofitted, with undetermined effects on the rest of the order.

Apparently this stemmed from a Designline's heat dying on a run last week.

Expect considerable delays in terms of the order. [MTV? RTSes? Maybe?!]

Maybe this is why I was hearing only 6-7 would be coming in January???? I'm confused about this whole test program. MTA is basically assisting DL with the whole design, test, and evaluation process.

Never having seen nor rode one yet, if they were to scrap this order, it won't matter much to me. 6-7 buses at this point out of 90 is a failure. They are best to cut the losses now before they become a lot worse as a larger fleet like the grummans were. Hopefully this means more orders goes to the Nova LFSs.

Basically: send the NGs from the outerbroughs to Manhattan [if they need hybrids] and give the outer area depots the Novas.

Well I do hope for the best, but after this long a wait, as a bus fan I would give up on this. Also maybe they should reduce the order to like 50 or something and have them based from one or two depots and cut the losses. May as well stick to the more proven :shudders: O7NGs.

As for the RTS, yeah it will be a sad day when they are all gone from Manhattan. But as long as they are concentrated over in Brooklyn, I'd be totally estatic! Still sucks all the 8600s were retired though. They'd be much better for MTA bus than those ex-BL buses from what I've been reading.

• 4 weeks later...

buses.jpg

Ok, according to the above chart, we are only supposed to be taking delivery of another 6 buses at this time. I'm now assuming this is why I got that phone call telling me that 70 were not coming next. I'm still confused however in light of these new HVAC issues. I am being told that it will not affect the order, and MTA is firmly committed to eventually take delivery of all 90 Test buses.

That being said, the chart also states that we will take delivery of only 2 more buses this summer.:confused:

Thanks for the update guys. This order is truly insane, and I still think the (MTA) should cancel the order if possible.

Given that Baltimore threw in the towel with its order (and is ordering O7 3G hybrids instead), it may not be a bad idea. IMO, the MTA should have added on 90 O7 NG hybrids at the time (4703-4792).

Archived