Designline Eco-Saver IV Hybrid

Kingsbridge Bus

Thank you for that info MHV9218. I am pissed that the RTS's aren't coming to Manhattanville because of these shitty ass buses. My blood is boiling because of this. The (MTA) shouldn't be messing with these buses. It took them forever just to get 1306 to run with people, how is 70 or whatever number going to work? This is bad, bad news.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank you for that info MHV9218. I am pissed that the RTS's aren't coming to Manhattanville because of these shitty ass buses. My blood is boiling because of this. The (MTA) shouldn't be messing with these buses. It took them forever just to get 1306 to run with people, how is 70 or whatever number going to work? This is bad, bad news.

That doesn't mean that 1306 had any significant problems though. From MHV's post it sounds like 1304 and 1306 were used more for driver training while 1302 and 1303 were put in service for revenue testing.

That doesn't mean that 1306 had any significant problems though. From MHV's post it sounds like 1304 and 1306 were used more for driver training while 1302 and 1303 were put in service for revenue testing.

I rode in 1304 this summer and it seemed to run fine except the back door wasn't opening and I saw 1306 in service for the first time on Friday so it remains to be seen how that one is doing. My thing is these buses have been so problematic from the start that I don't see the point in going any further with the order. The (MTA) might have screwed themselves into having to purchase them before knowing how they would do on the road, I don't know. From the outside looking in, it just seems like these buses aren't worth having, the environment be damned.

Doesn't that make you sad? That's just a friggin disgrace right there. God help us all!
Dont get me wrong.I like the DL`s,but one of the first buses I ever seen which kick started my love for transit was the 1984 GMC RTS,1991 TMC`S and GMC fishbowls.And this was When MTA RTS had black paint doors and back side panels.Times are surely changing.:P

You know, at first I was giving this DesignLine bus a chance but the more I see and hear about it the more I'm starting to despise this smiling face, phallus-shaped monstrosity of a bus that doesn't even have an engine. Like seriously???

This is terrible news, seeing RTS' disappearing out of Manhattan like this. The worse part is they have to die at Fresh Pond Depot...blegh!!! :tdown:

You know, at first I was giving this DesignLine bus a chance but the more I see and hear about it the more I'm starting to despise this smiling face, phallus-shaped monstrosity of a bus that doesn't even have an engine. Like seriously???

This is terrible news, seeing RTS' disappearing out of Manhattan like this. The worse part is they have to die at Fresh Pond Depot...blegh!!! :tdown:

And believe it or not,my first RTS back between 1988-1990 was on the B54 from Fresh pond.Talk about sad irony.:cry:

Hence why the Designlines are the only true hybrids in the fleet and are saving the most money for the (MTA) right now.

Reading through some of these posts made me either laugh hysterically or just smh at stupidity.

What some of you dont realize is that back in the 80/90s when the first RTS order was placed, they also had to go through similar trials and tribulations in order to get them right, its been like that for a bunch of buses.

The RTSs back then were the Designlines of today, they had a shit ton of problems before they actually set them straight and ready to be delivered. Same thing with the Orion V 100 series, same trials and tribulations. Research is quite insightful you know.

As much as I love the RTSs in Manhattan, there will always be a good batch of them in the city, with this Designline Order, I can see RTSs being shifted over to MJQ because they are gaining routes. 126 wouldnt have enough space to store all those RTSs + the upcoming NGs.

It's better if you actually ride the thing to get your opinion on it....cant judge something you havent rode on yet....

That great news but its sad for manhattan RTS fans here comes the end

The end of what? RTSs will ALWAYS be in Manhattan.

It seems like I'm the only one who's abiding by the #1 rule....just wait and see....before you start foolishly judging all the shit thats supposedly bound to happen...

It's better if you actually ride the thing to get your opinion on it....cant judge something you havent rode on yet....

I have rode the DesignLine, one on the M42 back in May, I waited 5 minutes and I rode it from Times Square to Grand Central:

I'm not so much into the buses but the interior is ok and the ride is smooth, I'll give DL a +1 for each of these categories.

Hence why the Designlines are the only true hybrids in the fleet and are saving the most money for the (MTA) right now.

For the easier maintaince part yes but about the purchasing of these buses. Just like any other Hybrid these have more advanced parts such as

Lead-Acid Battery, CNG Tank, Quieter Engines (Boring!!!). Sure they're more convient in some ways but they make the (MTA) waste even money causing the company itself to rip us off as they usually do to get more money.:tdown:

Think about that.

For the easier maintaince part yes but about the purchasing of these buses. Just like any other Hybrid these have more advanced parts such as

Lead-Acid Battery, CNG Tank, Quieter Engines (Boring!!!). Sure they're more convient in some ways but they make the (MTA) waste even money causing the company itself to rip us off as they usually do to get more money.:tdown:

Think about that.

#1. Hybrids dont have CNG tanks....

#2. If thats the case, why are the NGs and OGs so damn loud?

And FYI, the Designline is NOT that quiet

The rest of your statement made little to no sense at all.

Think about that.

A majority of our current hybrid fleet has lead-acid batteries so that's a moot point.

These buses don't even have engines, which results in parts savings. The buses run on turbines. This also boosts the fuel economy up from 3.2MPG (typical hybrids) to around 7.0MPG, which results in significant fuel savings. At $20K more per bus when compared to the NG ($560K vs. $540K) that is a very good deal.

...An RTS return increasingly unlikely at Manhattanville. The order has picked up pace at Designline, and instead of Manhattanville receiving some of 126th Street Depot's RTS-06 buses, or Michael J. Quill Depot's RTS-06 buses, the Designlines are likely to arrive instead. As some of the RTS buses will be no longer needed at 126th Street (the M66/72 will leave the depot, and the M60 will be compensated with Orion VII Next Generation Hyrbid buses), some of the RTSes will be sent to Fresh Pond depot and/or scrapped.

Hmmm, interesting

5045-5074 started out at Fresh Pond so it would be nice for them to die where they started.

(I smell haterism LRG :P lol)

It does have an engine. The Orion VII is also a "true" hybrid. The DL has a turbine engine, and the O7 has a reciprocating engine.

Think about that.

Maintenance of the DL's will be much more labor intensive. Turbines required a little more upkeep than other engines.

Starting Monday 1306 will be doing final tests out of Manhattanville so be ready cuz I'm already anxious for that 92 bus order I'm hearing about .

I have A riddle for you Designline peeps lol

What do you get when you have A IPhone and A smooth personality lol ??? The Answers shall be shown later muhahaha

Archived