R160s no longer on the R

Railfaner100

Well, I haven't seen any R160s on the (R) lately, and I live on it. I think since they have to make manual announcements while they are being programmed, why not just put them R46s back on the (R) and program those R160s little by little.

It's an era of shifts:

* R46s to the (A)

* R46s off the (F)

* R68s to the (N)

* R160s to the (Q)

* R160s off the (R)

* R44s Going, Going, Gone

We should enjoy the R32 Brightliners, R42s and R44s while they are still with us.

The subway in 2016: R46, R68/R68A, R143, R160A/R160B, R179

R62A, R142/R142A, R188

The subway in 2022: R68/R68A, R143, R160A/R160B, R179, R211

R62A, R142/R142A, R188.

I saw an R160 (R) train on Monday. They're probably going to be more strict with the car assignments now, though, and keep the (F) 100% R160 while the (R) is 100% R46. The (F) needs all the R160s it can get if it is meant to be all R160, since Jamaica has just enough R160s to cover the car requirements (including spares) for the (E) and (F), minus one train.

I saw an R160 (R) train on Monday. They're probably going to be more strict with the car assignments now, though, and keep the (F) 100% R160 while the (R) is 100% R46. The (F) needs all the R160s it can get if it is meant to be all R160, since Jamaica has just enough R160s to cover the car requirements (including spares) for the (E) and (F), minus one train.

Saw the same thing on monday,saw 2-3 of them on the (R) line.

That Joe Korner line assignment page has been updated. I noticed that the (F) and (R) are solely one car type. And correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the (A) and (C) combined have a serious surplus of cars; like, way more than just spares.

If it includes the R44s, then expect that 'surplus' to dwindle down eventually.

Nah, actually I did just R46's at Pitkin alone. Which, according to this data sheet, is 412. Doing the math is left something like 10 trains (June '10 Joe Korner) left over. I even included the (S). Why don't the (A) and (C) share fleets?

(C), not sure. I guess maybe they want to leave it at 8-car trains for the moment. I mean they could make them all 10-car trains, but make headways longer. But maybe it has something to do with shorter trains = relay faster in the tunnels at the terminals?

Eventually the (C) will have to be 600' trains anyway otherwise they'll limit flexibility among the two lines.

The R160s for the (R) comes from Jamaica yard. So they did not go to the (Q). Jamaica yard gave up a bunch of R46s to the (A) when the (V) was discontinued. So they decided to make the (F) more uniformed and have mostly [if not only] R160s there and making the (R) all R46s. For the moment this is how it is, but it doesn't mean it's permanent.

That Joe Korner line assignment page has been updated. I noticed that the (F) and (R) are solely one car type. And correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the (A) and (C) combined have a serious surplus of cars; like, way more than just spares.

Can you link it here? Thanks. I haven't seen that sheet yet so I don't know the url.

i noticed the changes:

i took an R160 on the (R) this past monday. im sure theres at least 1 or 2 sets running on the (R), although i still ride R46's on the (R)...and i still ride both R46 and R160's on the (F).

i still ride R68A's on the (:)(N) and (Q), and R160's on the (N)(Q) now ever since this whole shift change.

I still see like 1 or 2 sets of R44's on the (A), however i did notice that most of the (A)'s are now R32's and R46's.

R68A car #5060 has one set of the 3 seats (not window seat) that look like the seats on the R44's on the (SIR) Staten Island Railway. i took it on the (N) on Wednesday.

R68A car #5060 has one set of the 3 seats (not window seat) that look like the seats on the R44's on the (SIR) Staten Island Railway. i took it on the (N) on Wednesday.

They are painted blue?

Archived