Whats your subway specialty?

Im sure that most if not all users on this site are either knowledgeable or seek knowledge dealing with the subway system. Very few people know everything there is to know about it however. This thread is designed for users to discuss their subway specialty. A specialty would qualify as a particular part of the subway system which you have gained special expertise and would know everything there is to know about it. My specialty would likely be the map being that I am great at reading maps. Users could specialize in the history of the system, operation of the system, car models etc,. Please post your specialty and discuss about it here.

Wirelessly posted via (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Don't you mean all 491 stations? (468 + 23)

I just call it 466½ ststions since Cortlandt St (1) and half of Cortlandt (R) is closed lol...I don't count SIR

I know best about the routes, the subway cars, the history and the expansion plans (my personal favorite). Operations, I don't know much about and I'm still learning about unused tracks and provisions for expansion (like those along Queens Boulevard).

A fitting topic for my 200th post on this message board.

I always look for things to improve upon, but if I had to say my fortes, it would be:

Car numbers/assignments.

G.O.s and long-term construction combined with giving directions.

Styles of the NTT announcements.

The types of propulsion systems currently running on the subway (identifying them)

But, like I said, I'm always looking to improve or learn more about things that could be more important than what I know now.

I always look for things to improve upon, but if I had to say my fortes, it would be:

Car numbers/assignments.

G.O.s and long-term construction combined with giving directions.

Styles of the NTT announcements.

Propulsion systems.

But, like I said, I'm always looking to improve or learn more about things that could be more important than what I know now.

So you know propulsion systems...you know all about switch groups and controllers? We could use another who knows that in and out at Branford...can you maintain groups?

Navigation, service patterns and photography. I also have basic train operation skills.

I very highly doubt the underlined part.

So you know propulsion systems...you know all about switch groups and controllers? We could use another who knows that in and out at Branford...can you maintain groups?

I actually just meant recognizing the types that are in our subway: Adtranz, Westinghouse, G.E., Alstom Onix, Siemens. I have no knowledge currently in maintaining them. That's what I'm going to college to learn though.

I actually just meant recognizing the types that are in our subway: Adtranz, Westinghouse, G.E., Alstom Onix, Siemens. I have no knowledge currently in maintaining them. That's what I'm going to college to learn though.

Ah OK then it's more of an interest than a specialty :cool: anyone can name names

I know a lot about basic signalling and operation. Such as to operate a train no more than 10 mph when; comming into a terminal ending with a bumper block, diverging without a sign reading otherwise, operating within a yard, their are track workers near the tracks, etc, etc. I'm also good at navigating within the system.

Archived