B/O Caught Texting On Duty By Rider

It happened Wednesday night in Brooklyn on the B47 bus line. The rider boarded a B47 bus at Ralph Avenue and Fulton Street at 7:30pm and couldn't believe what she saw. So she used her own camera cellular telephone to take a picture and then she observed the B/O before sending her cell photo to Black Star News:

Story and Video From NY1: http://www.ny1.com/content/news_beats/transit/122950/city-bus-driver-caught-texting-on-the-job/

This reeks of uncle festers hands. Claims to know it's wrong cause she knows other bus drivers, yet the first thing she runs is to a news outlet? Claims to be concerned but instead takes a photo and continues to ride the bus rather than getting up and informing the driver "Hey, you shouldn't be using your cellphone. Thanks".

I feel the same way Y2Julio. This smells like a setup. Just the way she spoke made me fell like that was a superintendent. MTA is going to be gunning at the union employees. They want to take that bad press from there fare hikes and other service cuts and spin it on the workers. Ill tell ya that Walder is playing Bball and he throwing those elbows hard. I bet in the next 2 weeks there be a photo of a S/A sleeping or something to that effect in the news papers and it wont end till they raise there fares and get the contract they want. Beware my fellow TWU 100 brothers and sisters, there gunning for YOU!!!

I feel the same way Y2Julio. This smells like a setup. Just the way she spoke made me fell like that was a superintendent.

and on top of that, she doesn't want her identity revealed. Makes you wonder why.

Before you guys go and rip the driver apart, you have to look at it from his stand point. None of you no what the actual situation was. I would bet any money right now that lady juiced it up to make it sound more then what it was. She sounds like an a**hole. People really need to mind there own business. Im tired of shit like that. I got reported 3 times because I didnt pick people up at a non bustop. Well guess what when I was in training I was told not to pick people up @ a non-bus stop because if they fall and break a leg then transit could held liable.

Hell that driver could have been getting info about a sick family member. That lady needs to take herself right to hell. Whats wrong with these people always trying to get other people fired. This reminds me of that problem when some man said a T/O on the (4) had her son driving the train.

If it was really a problem why didnt she send it to some other news company instead of Black Star News.

As well she should!

why is it acceptable to report executive corruption, but when a driver is fooling around with text messages instead of driving the bus safely to ensure the safety of his passengers, this whistleblower is considered evil

As Julio stated above, if she was so concerned, she could've spoken up to the driver and told him to stop. Instead she chose to be a coward and only get a cellphone pic/vid of him in the act. Seems more like an attention whore. God forbid he crashed the bus before reaching the last stop because she didn't say something.

She probably fears harassment from other corrupt bus drivers and other MTA employees because she caught them doing something wrong.

Yet that didn't seem to be an issue for the guy who took the picture of the kid in the T/O Cab on the (4), who's identity was public in the article. I don't know but this story just seems fishy.

This reeks of uncle festers hands. Claims to know it's wrong cause she knows other bus drivers, yet the first thing she runs is to a news outlet? Claims to be concerned but instead takes a photo and continues to ride the bus rather than getting up and informing the driver "Hey, you shouldn't be using your cellphone. Thanks".

I feel the same way Y2Julio. This smells like a setup. Just the way she spoke made me fell like that was a superintendent. MTA is going to be gunning at the union employees. They want to take that bad press from there fare hikes and other service cuts and spin it on the workers. Ill tell ya that Walder is playing Bball and he throwing those elbows hard. I bet in the next 2 weeks there be a photo of a S/A sleeping or something to that effect in the news papers and it wont end till they raise there fares and get the contract they want. Beware my fellow TWU 100 brothers and sisters, there gunning for YOU!!!

Before you guys go and rip the driver apart, you have to look at it from his stand point. None of you no what the actual situation was. I would bet any money right now that lady juiced it up to make it sound more then what it was. She sounds like an a**hole. People really need to mind there own business. Im tired of shit like that. I got reported 3 times because I didnt pick people up at a non bustop. Well guess what when I was in training I was told not to pick people up @ a non-bus stop because if they fall and break a leg then transit could held liable.

Hell that driver could have been getting info about a sick family member. That lady needs to take herself right to hell. Whats wrong with these people always trying to get other people fired. This reminds me of that problem when some man said a T/O on the (4) had her son driving the train.

If it was really a problem why didnt she send it to some other news company instead of Black Star News.

Because god forbid an (MTA) employee is held responsible for their actions!

Obviously what that bus driver did was wrong and he should get penalized for it because if your going to work for a transit you should know your rules and regulations and follow them. Do your job right and you would have to go thru none of this mess. And if he was getting a text about a sick family member or something of some sort like that, when he found out he might have been more worried and put the passengers in more danger. The troubles with technology today ugh!...

Edit: Nova RTS...finally someone who agrees with me. Thx u...

No one here is saying the driver wasn't wrong for texting.

Yea but with some of the comments you would think he couldn't do any wrong and this guy is jesus and how dare that "uncle festers hands (you) a**hole who needs to mind her own business (553 Bridgeton)" even try and make this bus driver responsible for his actions.

For someone to say a passenger should mind their business when a bus driver is doing something blatantly dangerous says a lot. This reeks of pre ROBERT RAY shenanigans when no one would approach a person of authority who did something wrong.

And I am willing to bet that if there was a photo of a non (MTA) employee texting while driving, you all would be up their ass like a prisoner on fresh meat. Or better yet, I will bet anyone here any amount of money that if a car hit his bus because the car driver was texting, everyone would call that car driver the most irresponsible piece of *ish on the face of the earth.

From Grand Concourse:

As Julio stated above, if she was so concerned, she could've spoken up to the driver and told him to stop. Instead she chose to be a coward and only get a cellphone pic/vid of him in the act. Seems more like an attention whore. God forbid he crashed the bus before reaching the last stop because she didn't say something.

Btw Grand Concourse, youre much smarter than that comment. The bus driver is doing something wrong and you would really blame her if something happened to the bus? Guess what. If anything happens to the bus that's on HIM! He is being paid by the (MTA), it's his responsibility. If he's doing something dangerous and something happens then that is on HIM. But I guess that's what happens when ethics are selectively enforced amongst transit fans....

Yet that didn't seem to be an issue for the guy who took the picture of the kid in the T/O Cab on the (4), who's identity was public in the article. I don't know but this story just seems fishy.

Who LIED about him operating and is getting sued for it btw.

Who LIED about him operating and is getting sued for it btw.

You must be referring to Jules Cattie, the man who told the news about the boy "driving" the train. No proof that the boy did so.

Back to the B/O caught texting, the passenger should have ask or tell him to stop texting instead...

Don't they run from MBTA and NJ's Mayor Incident?

Mayor who was texting while driving his car while MBTA T/O B/O was text messaging on bus/trolley.

I think every B/O should not text messaging no matter what.

One time I even caught Sightseeing Tour B/O talking on cell phone!!

There two relatives topic video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_05WJZXlpfY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UPlnDHnPO4&feature=related

I agree..B/Os and T/Os shouldn't be texting while operating. Thats just common sense.

BUT, I don't like the fact at how this made the light of day. If that women was so concerned why didn't she speak up. If I was riding that bus and felt unsafe I would have spoken up, not take a cellphone pic.

And Yuki, that Peter Pan driver was NOT texting.

Sam was using the Company issued nextel to communicate with the drivers ahead of him about the condition of I-95. Yes he did some other things like ripping tickets while he was driving (which I don't agree with),and having bag of chips and soda(which we all do). Sam was a 20+ year veteran and a Million Mile safe driver and was fired for someone coward filming him instead of taking the issue right to where it needed to go.....right to the DRIVER!

Sam was awarded his job back but chose to retire than comeback. Even though he worked another division than me, I knew Sam pretty good and I can honestly say we lost a good one.

How would a not TA worker know about the two hands on the wheel rule ?

Why didnt she confront the driver ?

Why didnt she call MTA first ? or even 911?

Why is she afraid to show her face ?

( Mta undercover) ???

Where did i put those papers for the Brooklyn Bridge that I want to put up for sale. I will find them tonight, then the bridge is for sale, cheap...

But in any case:

Was the driver wrong ? yes !

Was that stupid ? yes !

I'm sorry, but their is absolutely no excuse. I have to say myself that I have almost crashed on more than one occasion while texting and driving. Therefore, I will NEVER do it again! And as a city employee, he should have known better! I will always stick with me b/o's on any front, but stupid is as stupid does! Let's say it was a family emergency.... Pull the damn bus over, and get off for a minute! I have seen that done plenty of times! But I do know this! If I had a family emergency while driving, there is no way in hell I would be texting anyone! I would need to hear a live voice! No matter how you slice it, there is absolutely no excuse!

I agree..B/Os and T/Os shouldn't be texting while operating. Thats just common sense.

BUT, I don't like the fact at how this made the light of day. If that women was so concerned why didn't she speak up. If I was riding that bus and felt unsafe I would have spoken up, not take a cellphone pic.

And Yuki, that Peter Pan driver was NOT texting.

Sam was using the Company issued nextel to communicate with the drivers ahead of him about the condition of I-95. Yes he did some other things like ripping tickets while he was driving (which I don't agree with),and having bag of chips and soda(which we all do). Sam was a 20+ year veteran and a Million Mile safe driver and was fired for someone coward filming him instead of taking the issue right to where it needed to go.....right to the DRIVER!

Sam was awarded his job back but chose to retire than comeback. Even though he worked another division than me, I knew Sam pretty good and I can honestly say we lost a good one.

I agree! I would have said something to the driver as well. But company issued or not. It's illegal to use a device that is not hands free while driving in New York. So technically, he really was in the wrong. Like I said, I will always stick up for my b/o's. But right is right, and wrong is wrong. PERIOD!

Texting and driving is a big no-no. As commercial drivers we are held to a higher standard. If this lady was truly concerned with her safety and the safety of others she should have said something on the spot, not snap a picture then look away like there was nothing wrong happening. The driver was stupid in his actions and will get his time on the street, possibly lose his job. It just seem like this was put out there by the MTA in someway, shape or form. For those of you who have seen this happen, say something to the B/O you might save someones life including your OWN! after that contact the MTA with the bus number, run number, route number, and time of day. I know you would not like for me to watch you at your job waiting till you did something wrong snap a picture then go to the media.

Here's a thought. Instead of chastising the lady for opening her mouth, chastise the B/O for blatantly violating a rule.

She could've spoken up when the driver was texting rather than wait till she contacted the media to report it. That's why we are critical of her. Of course she is right to report about it, but she should've gotten the driver's attention first. Then if he still texted after she told him, then she is right to have reported this to the media.

Archived