B44 +SelectBusService+

Iamthe1

The question then becomes: what serves Kings County Hospital? A north-south route is needed to serve the area or the B12 will be overtaxed if it is the only route to serve Kings County Hospital. The B49 should be rerouted to New York Avenue and ultimately terminate at Empire Boulevard and Nostrand Avenue (Sterling Street (2)(5) ) (looping around to come back down New York Avenue).

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its official now as the mainstream media was given the information about the B/44 SBS and they are making it their number 1 story (WINS 12:20 PM). 

Consider it a success according to the media just like another government program in the news! 

here

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/11/17/new-b44-select-bus-service-met-with-confusion-frustration-by-some-straphangers/

The question then becomes: what serves Kings County Hospital? A north-south route is needed to serve the area or the B12 will be overtaxed if it is the only route to serve Kings County Hospital. The B49 should be rerouted to New York Avenue and ultimately terminate at Empire Boulevard and Nostrand Avenue (Sterling Street (2)(5) ) (looping around to come back down New York Avenue).

They'll let the B12 get overtaxed, as you put it....

The question I have is, would NY av remain a LTD stop on the B35 (have NB 44 locals shifted to Rogers).....

In other words, WB, after Nostrand av would be the E 42nd st stop....

I'd just have the B49 run on Bedford in both directions north of Foster and have the B44 local run same as SBS. Problem solved (well, in theory...). Add a B40 to run between Flushing Ave and the Flatbush junction via Nostrand Ave southbound and New York/Marcy northbound.

That sure sounds nice, but it'd be a lot cheaper to just tell B49 riders to walk to the B41/B44/B48/Franklin Av (S) and to tell riders from NY Av or points East to walk to Rogers. 

Honestly, I don't even know if all that service between New York and Flatbush would be warranted (B40 + B44 Local/SBS + B49 + B41) 

Honestly, I don't even know if all that service between New York and Flatbush would be warranted (B40 + B44 Local/SBS + B49 + B41) 

well if you consider how crowded other parts of the city are and the fact that more people seem to be moving into the area (although there has yet to be a population explosion) and it would make sense for certain parts of the city other than Flatbush to be depopulated (and try to get people to move to Flatbush or something along those lines)...

Its official now as the mainstream media was given the information about the B/44 SBS and they are making it their number 1 story (WINS 12:20 PM). 

Consider it a success according to the media just like another government program in the news!

Channel 11 gave it mixed reviews with a few saying it is a dumb idea.

So I was out there today pretty much all day (knew a driver out there), and here's my w cents on it...

First off, its like they didn't have enough workers at the stops to show people how to use the SBS. On the Rogers Av stretch, there were workers only at St. Johns & Clarkson. Church was a ghost town, no one actually got on at that stop until his last trip up. You had people still attempting to pay on the inside of the bus after being told repeatedly to use the machines outside, quite a few people walked (and on some occasions ran) straight past the machines, then acted clueless when they had to use the machines. Most people actually like the concept of it, and then you got your few who complained and moaned about it, but then again, it was only the first day.

Eagle team was out there (they got us at Church), pulling people off the buses, but instead of giving them a summons for it, they told them to use the machine and actually showed them how to. There were local buses stopping at the SBS stations holding the SBS buses up, people getting confused about the stops (although maps were given out and announcements were made), and of course that one busfan out there making his videos for youtube being all "exclusive" about it.

Rogers av was a straight ghost zone out there with traffic, so the bus lanes were pretty much wide open. There were some B49 riders out there thinking the bus was gonna stop at their stop only for it to fly past. There was this one woman who was waiting at Linden for the bus and when it flew past she literally ran down to Church and got mad at the driver because he didn't stop (eagle team was there so that held the bus up enough time for her to catch up). She got pissed because the bus didn't stop so we were telling her that even when the limited was running it never stopped there...ended up getting on the local anyway.

Overall, they could've done better with this one. It wasn't bad, but at the same time it wasn't a total disaster. Once people caught on they understood the concept of it. and of course, there was the bus bunching...saw 3 go down at the same time. Locals got it pretty bad since some of the limited stops (Dean/Bergen, Myrtle, Glenwood, etc) were omitted from the SBS stop plan, but I think they will get used to it over time.

Today was just a practice, the real test begins tomorrow...

They've done it before for other SBS routes. Media love conflict.

It's also called balanced reporting. Better than the Daily News story that read more like an MTA press release calling SBS "magic buses".

BrooklynBus, did Eagle Team gave fare beaters who didn't know how to use SBS, like Courtesy Notice paper for people who didn't paid their fare at machine?

I imagine they will only be giving warnings for the first two weeks by making them get off the bus to board the next one. Two weeks still isn't enough notice because many riders ride less frequently than that unless it is obvious that the person is an intentional fare beater.

a coucilman has already demanding restoring a stop from subchat. http://www.subchat.com/buschat/read.asp?Id=287140

From the office of Council Member Jumaane Willimas

COUNCIL MEMBER WILLIAMS, RESIDENTS TO CALL ON MTA TO RESTORE LIMITED BUS STOPS ON THE B44 LINE

Removal of Stop, Part of MTA's New Select Bus Service, Has Disadvantaged Local Residents, Caused Significant Transit Time Increase for Working Class Commuters
BROOKLYN, NY- Council Member Jumaane D. Williams (D-Brooklyn) will join community members in calling on the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) to reverse its elimination of the limited bus stop on the B44 bus line. As part of its implementation of Select Bus Service (SBS), the MTA has eliminated several critical stops on the B44 line, which now travels directly from Nostrand Avenue and Avenue H, to Nostrand Avenue and Kings Highway, leaving a sizeable portion of the constituents of the 45th district without a limited bus option. Under the SBS, the B44 covers more than 9 miles from Williamsburg to Sheepshead Bay.

Many constituents in the 45th district have complained about losing the limited B44 bus stop at Avenue L and Nostrand Avenue. Further, students who attend I.S. 240 Andries Hudde Junior High School, at Nostrand Avenue between Avenues K and L, are also negatively impacted.

WHEN: Tuesday, November 19th 2013, 7AM.

WHO: Council Member Jumaane D. Williams (D-Brooklyn), Flatbush Residents

WHAT: Press Conference to Address the Restoration of Essential Limited Bus Stops on the B44 Line

WHERE: The limited bus stop on the B44 line at Avenue L and Nostrand Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11210 

What happened if B44 SBS rider want to take B44 Local, they have to take crosstown Brooklyn buses to get to NY Av and wait for B44 Local.

I don't think B49 drivers will allowed B44 SBS receipt.

You could walk and just transfer...same rules apply on the B44 with the other SBS lines

a coucilman has already demanding restoring a stop from subchat. http://www.subchat.com/buschat/read.asp?Id=287140

I don't see whats wrong with taking the local up to the nearest SBS stop and just transferring. You still get a free transfer...

I have no problem with them doing whatever they want with the section of the route below "H" as long as it does not negatively impact service north of "H".

I am inclined to make a comment about people's love affair with the personal automobile and the problems Plaza Auto Mall causes for the B44 in the vicinity of "L" that make me wonder whether the people who live there should get that stop back without first demanding that something be done about PAM's antics, which have almost caused an accident involving the B44 at least once and are probably responsible for extra running time that is not accounted for by the B44 schedules and translates into additional operating costs (which might be offset by the elimination of the Ave "L" stop for the SBS), but whatever.

Archived