R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And how do you know that? Are you TA? The 42s are not going anywhere until after the L shutdown, regardless of how many R179s have been accepted.

Actually, R42s are beginning the scrapping process before the L shutdown. I can confirm this from inside the TA, one we hit 50 179s those will all be starting off on the J/Z and the 42s will begin their farewell journey.

Oh damn! That's worse than I thought...

Yeah, I reacted the same way. However, the 32's are actually in much better shape and we should be seeing them in lines we've never seen before, because we have a car shortage. 32s won't leave for what I can expect is 5 - 8 years.

So far, it's been on IND lines like the (A), (B) / (D), (E), (F), and (G). Basically, the entire IND minus the (C). Progress is going nice so far. Not long till we see one on the rest of the BMT lines besides the (Q) and Franklin Ave (S).  Probably testing on Broadway/Downtown Brooklyn is next.

Edited by Cone E Island

So far, it's been on IND lines like the (A), (B) / (D), (E), (F), and (G). Basically, the entire IND minus the (C). Progress is going nice so far. Not long till we see one on the rest of the BMT lines besides the (Q) and Franklin Ave (S). Probably testing on Broadway/Downtown Brooklyn is next.

and also BMT Astoria (N)(W), BMT Sea Beach (N), and BMT Eastern Division (J)(L)(M)(Z) Edited by BDNQ2345

So far, it's been on IND lines like the (A), (B) / (D), (E), (F), and (G). Basically, the entire IND minus the (C). Progress is going nice so far. Not long till we see one on the rest of the BMT lines besides the (Q) and Franklin Ave (S). Probably testing on Broadway/Downtown Brooklyn is next.

By default, the (A) and (C) were the first ones because of Pitkin and 207 yards respectively.

I remember that. The 86XX cars right? Why was that? Did length are endurance conditions play a role for testing? Was the (A) supposed to get some of that order maybe?

I think the (A) was supposed to get the now (N) and (Q) cars or something like that, but a combination of the power problems they suffered in the Rockaways and the R44 fiasco changed that.

I think the (A) was supposed to get the now (N) and (Q) cars or something like that, but a combination of the power problems they suffered in the Rockaways and the R44 fiasco changed that.

The (Q) was actually the first line to receive R160s but ended up being liked the 6th line (Excluding those rerouted (N) Trains).

I remember the power issues with change over with LIPA. Did they ever get that worked out with the power change over? Does seem like the 179's has had any of those issues. Do you know

was it issues with propulsion? or subsystems

\The (Q) was actually the first line to receive R160s but ended up being liked the 6th line (Excluding those rerouted (N) Trains).

Did they run on the (Q) before the (A)? What line did they do the 30-day qualifier on?

Edited by RailRunRob