R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

6 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Thank you.  By then, a lot of r211s will be in service. 

In that case,  all 10 car sets of r179's need to go to the (A).  (A) train riders deserve NTT'S and it's more or less confirmed that this will happen.

No subway rider deserves specific rolling stock other than the type most practical for their line. While this could mean at least some of the five-car 179s for the (A), there's no reason that is guaranteed.

2 hours ago, FlushingExpress said:

N and W riders love them and would fume if they were replaced by fat old junks.

How do you know this? Are there surveys that yards conduct to find out which cars are most preferred by which line? Certainly in the case of most people I know, they value more the fact that the train actually arrives on time and gets them to where they want to go then what the train looks or sounds like. Car assignments mean much less to the average rider than most people on here seem to think.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While he's not wrong that some people would probably be annoyed if the (N) and (W) went from R160s to R46s, if the MTA does go ahead with this swap, rider complaints won't stop it (as we saw with the (6) and (7) swap).

5 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Not only that, but I fear that confusion will emerge if the (W) got R46's, since the (W) does go to other terminals other then Whitehall, and the R46 programs tend to get stuck in cars, as well as the bad PA systems on some of them.

How often does the (W) even goes to it's "other" terminals? And who would really be confused by three extended trips to/from Brooklyn? And don't count reroutes because they aren't even supposed to be scheduled and anybody not a railfan would be confused anyways.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

27 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Not only that, but I fear that confusion will emerge if the (W) got R46's, since the (W) does go to other terminals other then Whitehall, and the R46 programs tend to get stuck in cars, as well as the bad PA systems on some of them.

That’s my one fear with the R46 in Astoria.

They won’t dispatch an R68 (N) with (W) roll signs, but conductors could very easily incorrectly program, or have a broken program on the R46. I feel like 33% of the Queens bound (R)’s say “To Bay Ridge” because conductors don’t think to re-program it, or the program is jammed. 

Obviously, this is still better than rollsigns, but the R46 aren’t a perfect option. Not to mention that the 30 R46 from the (R) will not be enough to cover the (N) fleet, you’d need at a few more sets of R68 in addition to what you already have. 

27 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

How often does the (W) even goes to it's "other" terminals? And who would really be confused by three extended trips to/from Brooklyn? And don't count reroutes because they aren't even supposed to be scheduled and anybody not a railfan would be confused anyways.

Normally, whenever the (N) screws up or when something happens on Lower Broadway, or when the (W) runs to 96th St. 

But since the (N) and (W) do tend to get messed up from time to time, the R160's do a great job of informing passengers where the train is going and they can clearly hear it (except for the (W) to 86th program, since people tend to confuse Sea Beach 86th St with Bay Ridge-86th St). 

Even the R68's on the (W) tend to have messed up rollsigns, like having (N) bullets in the rear and (W) in the front.

R46's, from my lifetime of riding them on the (A) and now the (C), the PA systems are terrible, and the signage gets stuck on one program 85% of the time.

@Lance And he's also that one person that worships the new technology trains like they're goddesses.  

It's not the end of the world if the NTTs leave a specific line...

Judging by your name, I'm sure you'd love sitting in the <7> express fully NTT...now I understand...

Edited by Coney Island Av

4 hours ago, R42N said:

That’s my one fear with the R46 in Astoria.

They won’t dispatch an R68 (N) with (W) roll signs, but conductors could very easily incorrectly program, or have a broken program on the R46. I feel like 33% of the Queens bound (R)’s say “To Bay Ridge” because conductors don’t think to re-program it, or the program is jammed. 

Obviously, this is still better than rollsigns, but the R46 aren’t a perfect option. Not to mention that the 30 R46 from the (R) will not be enough to cover the (N) fleet, you’d need at a few more sets of R68 in addition to what you already have. 

Any r46's that may go to the (N) and (W) would come from the (A) or (C) in exchange of r160's. 

Remember, the (A) and (C) will be affected by the Canarsie shutdown in terms of ridership. 

This is just an idea, which is to have all the lines affected by the Canarsie shutdown to have as many NTT's as possible in their fleet, to increase reliability.

Edited by subwaycommuter1983

5 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Any r46's that may go to the (N) and (W) would come from the (A) or (C) in exchange of r160's. 

Remember, the (A) and (C) will be affected by the Canarsie shutdown in terms of ridership. 

This is just an idea, which is to have all the lines affected by the Canarsie shutdown to have as many NTT's as possible in their fleet, to increase reliability.

Just because it’s an idea, doesn’t make it feasible or plausible... 

14 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

No, the R46’s for the (N) would come from the (R), so Queens Blvd can be 100% NTT. Then, the (N) would be slated to get R211’s.

Edited by R42N

16 minutes ago, R42N said:

No, the R46’s for the (N) would come from the (R), so Queens Blvd can be 100% NTT. Then, the (N) would be slated to get R211’s.

Why is the MTA rushing to make all QBL trains NTT'S when the QBL CTBC won't be complete until 2024??

Whereas the Canarsie shutdown is much more urgent and much more imminent.

The MTA needs to do the right thing by increasing service and adding extra reliable subway cars on all lines affected by the Canarsie shutdown.

28 minutes ago, R42N said:

Queens Blvd CTBC isn’t the main focus right now. The main focus is the (A)(C)(J)(M)(Z)(G) lines. Queens Blvd I can tell for certain is not on the MTA mind right. Y’all have to stop putting Queens Blvd CTBC in the mix 

5 minutes ago, R179 8258 said:

Queens Blvd CTBC isn’t the main focus right now. The main focus is the (A)(C)(J)(M)(Z)(G) lines. Queens Blvd I can tell for certain is not on the MTA mind right. Y’all have to stop putting Queens Blvd CTBC in the mix 

Thank you. At least I'm not alone in this.

14 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Why is the MTA rushing to make all QBL trains NTT'S when the QBL CTBC won't be complete until 2024??

The MTA needs to do the right thing by increasing service and adding extra reliable subway cars on all lines affected by the Canarsie shutdown.

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I heard -- though I absolutely could be wrong -- that the NTT to QBL thing was to facilitate CBTC installation. Much easier to pull cars from one yard's fleet than many.

Another thing I heard that I'm much more certain of is that they want all SMEEs off of the Williamsburg Bridge so that they can calculate timer mods with one acceleration/braking profile, not many. 

As for increasing service, it honestly doesn't matter what cars you have as long as you meet length parameters and those guidelines above. Car reliability is a secondary concern, though certainly one too. 

1 hour ago, LGA Link N train said:

So it should be like this?

(A) R32, R179, (maybe R160's)

(C) All 5 car R160's

(J)(Z) R160, R179, (R143's for backup)

(L) All R143

(M) All R160 

(B) R68A, R32, R42

(N)(W) R46, R68

(G) R32, R42, (maybe 4 car R160's) 

This makes a lot of sense. Additionally,  I still see some  8 car r160s running on the (G).

29 minutes ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

Would the (Q) train end up getting 68s in the process? I think that was what was supposed to happen when the Second Avenue Subway opened.

I doubt it. The (G) only has 50 cars, which is not a lot. Those cars will most likely be distributed to the  (B),  (D) (Yankees), (N) or (W).

5 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

They shouldn’t focus on that. The (N) wouldn’t get that until QBL CBTC switches become an issue, which is usually 3-4 years before activation, or 2020-2021. 

When the R46/R160 swap happens this is what the assignments would look like:

(N) / (W) 100% R46

(B) R46,R68/A

(Q) R160, R68/A

There would be enough R68's for the (Q) the R68's from the (G) and (W) would be more than enough to cover half of the (Q) line with the remaining R160's

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:36 AM, Bosco said:

While he's not wrong that some people would probably be annoyed if the (N) and (W) went from R160s to R46s, if the MTA does go ahead with this swap, rider complaints won't stop it (as we saw with the (6) and (7) swap).

Ain't that the truth? The 62s are not the best cars for the (6) line and it shows, but the MTA has kept them there.

23 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

They'll manage, just as the riders on the (6) have for the past few years. In fact, their side sign curtains are wrong almost all the time based on my observations. I've seen many occasions where trains signed for Parkchester were running to Pelham Bay Park and vice versa. Also, it's no different from the (B) trains that run to Bedford Park with signs set from 145 Street or the other way around.

19 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

@Lance How will the fat people use the bucket seating?

I don't know, but I'm sure someone with more expertise on the subject can give you the answer you seek. :lol:

3 hours ago, Lance said:

Ain't that the truth? The 62s are not the best cars for the (6) line and it shows, but the MTA has kept them there.

They'll manage, just as the riders on the (6) have for the past few years. In fact, their side sign curtains are wrong almost all the time based on my observations. I've seen many occasions where trains signed for Parkchester were running to Pelham Bay Park and vice versa. Also, it's no different from the (B) trains that run to Bedford Park with signs set from 145 Street or the other way around.

I don't know, but I'm sure someone with more expertise on the subject can give you the answer you seek. :lol:

Side signage isn’t a big issue anymore because we have the time clocks that show a train’s destination. Especially on the (6) it has the in station announcement, the time clock and the LED green/red lights.