R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

16 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I never understood why the original order only had 4 5 car sets. 

Also, were some 4 car sets later on converted into 5 car sets?

The original order predated the plan to extend the (C) to ten-car length trains several other changes to the requirements for overall B-Division service. Originally, the order was a straight replacement for the remaining 32s and 42s on the (C) and (J) lines, both of which at the time used 480-foot trains. The five-car sets were to be used for fleet expansion in anticipation of the then-unopened Second Ave extension. The only good thing about the extreme delays in delivery of these cars was that it allowed for a change in the order at no expense to the MTA.

13 hours ago, B46 via Utica said:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=undefined&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwj85Lvly_vfAhUrh-AKHSXxDoYQzPwBCAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nydailynews.com%2Fnew-york%2Fny-metro-r179-mta-train-car-20190108-story.html&psig=AOvVaw3ZClXsSLQqprGzkeLAvuq5&ust=1548047318779421

This article may interest some of you I've noticed that the 179s have had their fair share of consistent breakdowns and defects. I am aware of the possibility that can just be an effect of the "New Subway Car Phase" but I would like to shed some light on what is going on specifically. My experiences with the 179s personally haven't been really good. 

This was mentioned a few pages back.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Eagle Railfanning said:

Thanks for the information. Is there any reason they’re not running it to the rockaways?

You’re welcome. And I actually don’t know but that can change after the first few days of service.

Edited by VIP

15 hours ago, m7zanr160s said:

So I'm assuming that the 10-car set will start running in service this week, am I right...?

First, 3010-3019 has to complete the 30 day passenger test. That can happen in any moment. Once that test is passed, then it will enter service and 3020-3029 will be delivered.

On 11/21/2018 at 6:46 PM, East New York said:

It's the same train, just a different number of cars. They only have to burn in. 

53 minutes ago, Enjineer said:

Exactly what I was thinking when I read that. Wouldn't the 30-day passenger test imply 3010-3019 would be running in service as to, y'know, complete said test? 

@Enjineer Yup, you should be correct, a post from @East New York a few months back (above yours) indicates the R179 5 car set only has to run through burn in, since it’s logically not a different model.

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

1 hour ago, Eagle Railfanning said:

The MTA board has just confirmed that “at least 2 cars” are being added to the order, confirming the rumor of 318 cars. However, apparently they’re discussing other options with Bombardier. Byford also mentioned that 13 (8 car) trains were pulled from service, and 7 of those should be returning today.

Thanks for the update.

2 hours ago, Eagle Railfanning said:

The MTA board has just confirmed that “at least 2 cars” are being added to the order, confirming the rumor of 318 cars. However, apparently they’re discussing other options with Bombardier. Byford also mentioned that 13 (8 car) trains were pulled from service, and 7 of those should be returning today.

Would that mean less 8-car units? It’s still not too late to modify the Order and make remaining cars into 10-car units.

2 hours ago, Eagle Railfanning said:

This doesn’t answer one important question and that question is: 

what happened to 3070-3073?

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

I think those other options are to get more B cars and insert them Into some of the existing 8 car units to create more 10 car sets which would make A lot of sense.

That would be awesome if this happens and it would be even more awesome if we end up having 17 10 car r179's instead of 12 as a result of this modifications. 17 trains would cover the entire C fleet or about 50% of the A. However, the question is, since I don't know anything about engineering or mechanics, would that option work??

On 1/19/2019 at 11:02 PM, Around the Horn said:

Inventory list? Is this like a roster or something like that?

An inventory of the unit matchups (i.e. 3210/11/12/3213).

This new one shows the 4-car units up to 3237 (instead of 3245), and the 5-car units as 3010-3049, then 3238 and upwards, not 3246.

8 hours ago, m2fwannabe said:
On 1/19/2019 at 11:02 PM, Around the Horn said:

Inventory list? Is this like a roster or something like that?

An inventory of the unit matchups (i.e. 3210/11/12/3213).

This new one shows the 4-car units up to 3237 (instead of 3245), and the 5-car units as 3010-3049, then 3238 and upwards, not 3246.

I think the next passage was mistakenly added to the other forum last night:

The ratio of 4's to 5's changes as Bombardier adds "free" cars to the order in lieu of performance penalty payments to MTA.  

The 5-car R-179's won't be delivered until the 4-car sets are all on the premises.  That won't happen until sometime in March as things have stood for some time.

At the 318 car threshold, there are only seven more quads left to deliver.  One a week (seen 3210-13 yet?), that's seven weeks, then the 5-packs will start to arrive. 

Much of this depends on good progress in restoring the accepted R-179s to an acceptable level of reliability.

Presumably, I bet they've just added an extra B car in two four-car sets to make them five-car links.

This is what I think (did the math):

3050-3237 (four-car sets, 188 cars, 23.5 trains) 

3010-3049, 3238-3317 (five-car sets, 130 cars, 13 trains) 

This means we have one extra ten-car train and one less eight-car. 

In addition, this is what we have so far if I remember correctly:

3010-3019 (ten cars)

3050-3069 (20 cars) 

3074-3189* (116 cars) 

3190-3205 (16 cars, testing) 

3206-3209 (four cars, most recent deliveries)

From this, we have about 166 cars delivered...

*3182-3189 might have entered service on the (C) already, but can't be 100% sure of it

It seems like things are running smoothly with Kawasaki and the r211's, while Bombardier is still struggling with the r179's. In fact, the first r211 will be delivered a few months sooner. For additional information click on this article:

https://www.amny.com/transit/new-subway-cars-1.26287915

Now, my question is, what is the MTA planning to do with the r62s in the A division?? 

Keep in mind that 1,612 cars will be enough to replace all r32's, all r46's and possibly some r68's.