Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
East New York

R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

Program Update effective 2/20/19

E70AE3B5-BCC7-4242-8958-215EA3B3E968.jpeg

2A3D4B44-9846-4D37-8FFE-88142B572B51.jpeg

844D9F11-6BFF-4B1B-A0AA-CEEF1E3D444B.jpeg

D143F871-E911-4F90-BF83-14B590D436A2.jpeg

018FCF27-0E25-47C4-8133-9E14E0160D65.jpeg

FCAB8EC7-FC4C-45EB-95CC-8F213A2E4F1E.jpeg

Message added by East New York

1 minute ago, Cait Sith said:

Hell, I've been on crushed (C) trains all WEEK.....working around the UWS can be a pain in the ass because of that.

My local stops are 86th on both west side lines. Often on a weekend I'll opt for the (1) just because I know the (C) will be crowded, not stopping due to service changes, and running with lower frequencies than the (1). Often it's a mix of all three reasons. Weekend service either needs some sort of truncated (B) along CPW (e.g. 145th St to 2 Av-Houston, maybe?), or at least more frequent (C) service. 

2 minutes ago, Enjineer said:

My local stops are 86th on both west side lines. Often on a weekend I'll opt for the (1) just because I know the (C) will be crowded, not stopping due to service changes, and running with lower frequencies than the (1). Often it's a mix of all three reasons. Weekend service either needs some sort of truncated (B) along CPW (e.g. 145th St to 2 Av-Houston, maybe?), or at least more frequent (C) service. 

Thank you!!!! Yes!!!! You read my mind. Lol!!! I hope the MTA decides to do both. The sooner the better.

2 hours ago, Jemorie said:

You obviously are saying that just because. Just curious, do you ride the line from Brooklyn to Manhattan in the AM?

And keep in mind that the (C) being full length isn’t just extra capacity. It’s also basically a slight increase in service as well. For example, the (C) uses 144 cars (18 trainsets of eight car trains). You add an extra 36 cars (four trains of eight car trains) and that’s a slight increase from 10 minute headways to 7.5 minute headways.

You are saying Capacity V.S. Frequency. MTA won't let you have both at the same time. Its better to have more trains(freq) with R179 although MTA needs more crews for that.

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Have you taken the C to any station along CPW??

The C gets really crowded especially during the weekends, when there's no B trains running and 81st street is always packed during the daytime (weekdays and weekends).

I take (A)  from Broadway Junction to 145 st at 8AM and and the other way at 6PM almost every weekday. I agree that 81st st is packed sometimes because of the museum, But I dont agree other stations in CPW are packed from what I observed. I do think MTA needs to have more trains to run CPW local during the weekend while (B) is not running at that time. Or they can just use R46 on the weekend.

1 hour ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

(C) ridership has been amping up lately and sometimes, even on non rush hour runs, the trains can be packed. It may have been good before as a 4 car set, but you can't sing a song with Barney The Purple Dinosaur to ignore that the (C) will need at least some 8 car sets to handle higher rider numbers for gods sake. 

I mean (C)  with 8 car sets is good enough now. 

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Train is at Far Rock - Mott Ave right now. Wasn't even looking for it, since I didn't an chance to ride it on the Rockaway elevated structure the first time I rode it, Guess I'll do that now lol.

if anyone looking for it , it’s leaving 175th heading to Far Rock

1 hour ago, whz1995 said:

You are saying Capacity V.S. Frequency. MTA won't let you have both at the same time.

You need to learn how to read and ruminate. That's not what I said. I said that the (C) being full-length means an increase in service, basically. Therefore, an extra four trainsets and a half (36 cars) mean headways increase to 7.5 minute headways from current 10 minute headways, consisting of two options which are different in some way:

1. Have the (C) use full-length 600 feet long trains of either R32 equipment or R46 equipment currently running on the line; add an additional four trainsets and a half (36 cars) (if you prefer R32 equipment) to make it 180 cars (all in full length 600 feet long ten-car sets) instead of 144 cars (all in short length 480 feet long eight-car sets). The entire line's fleet being made up of R46 equipment (144 cars) is also the same full length 600 feet equipment as well since they are 75 foot long which doesn't require any extra cars needed.

Or...

2. Have all 18 (C) trainsets remain short-length 480 feet long trains of either R160 or R179 equipment and add an additional four trainsets (32 cars) to increase the number to 22 instead of 18.

Both options are still the same exact thing. An increase in 7.5 minute headway from 10 minute headway. It could go either way. No matter.

10 hours ago, whz1995 said:

(C) is not packed at all besides from lower Manhattan to mid town in rush hour. I am not seeing any benefit to have full length(C)

From someone who lives by the (C) Train, I strongly disagree that the (C) Train is empty or not even crowded when its packed as hell especially during the Rush Hours. I've even noticed the (C) Trains being packed during the evenings as well. 

• Upvote 3

Today I rode an 179 (C) that had an software issue of some sort. Train pulled into 34th St, doors opened the announcements went normally until it said the next stop was Kingsbridge Rd and the FIND shut off, seconds later, the FIND came back on and everything was normal again. When I got off the train the outside sign said "Via Concourse". That was one confused train.

• LMAO! 4
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

When I got off the train the outside sign said "Via Concourse".

Guess it was trying to be a <C>

Good. So far we have:

3050-3069 (in service)

3074-3197 (in service)

3206-3217 (testing)

3218-3221 (being delivered)

This means that we only have 3070-73, 3222-25, 3226-29, 3230-33, and 3234-37 left to be delivered before delivery of the five-car sets potentially gets underway. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

Good. So far we have:

3050-3069 (in service)

3074-3197 (in service)

3206-3217 (testing)

3218-3221 (being delivered)

This means that we only have 3070-73, 3222-25, 3226-29, 3230-33, and 3234-37 left to be delivered before delivery of the five-car sets potentially gets underway. 

Where’s 3198-3201 and 3202-3205 ??

1 minute ago, VIP said:

Where’s 3198-3201 and 3202-3205 ??

Those should also be testing. They have been delivered, so if they are not in service yet, they are still testing. Surprised @Coney Island Av missed those sets lol

30 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

3201-3198, 3202-3205 (coupled in that order) are in service as of this morning

Awesome, we've crossed the 3200 mark! Seems like every week or so now a new 179 is going into service on the C :P

41 minutes ago, Enjineer said:

Awesome, we've crossed the 3200 mark! Seems like every week or so now a new 179 is going into service on the C :P

I agree. I rode the C twice yesterday, both r179's.

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I rode the C twice yesterday, both r179's.

Speaking of which, does anyone know how much of the C's fleet now is made up of R179s? I know the C has, what, 18 sets assigned to it, so the 179s have to be nearing half of that by now

5 hours ago, Enjineer said:

Speaking of which, does anyone know how much of the C's fleet now is made up of R179s? I know the C has, what, 18 sets assigned to it, so the 179s have to be nearing half of that by now

There’s 7 sets now, but There’s gonna be 9 sets all together. Kinda like the way when the (C) had R160’s from East New York. 

Are there any leftover R160s still running on the (C) or have they been transferred back to the east?

16 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

Are there any leftover R160s still running on the (C) or have they been transferred back to the east?

No. All of the (C)'s R160s got transferred back to ENY. The last sets of R160s went back to the (J) recently a few weeks ago.

To quote from the R32 Fleet Swap Thread:

On 2/8/2019 at 9:39 AM, m2fwannabe said:

The last 12 R-160A-1's were moved 207 to East New York at end of service Wednesday evening, February 6.  Two moves:  8645-48 with 9967-70, then 8625-28 by itself.  No more R-160A-1 on (C).

1 hour ago, VIP said:

There’s 7 sets now, but There’s gonna be 9 sets all together

Very nice, so when all is said and done the C will be half R179s. Nice. 

11 minutes ago, U-BahnNYC said:

So how many more left until the 5-car production sets start arriving?

There's 40 cars left in the 4 car configuration to be delivered. Once the 10-car train finishes 30 day revenue testing then we should expect the 5 car sets to be delivered. 

• Upvote 1

3010-3019 is doing VERY well. Should pass 30-day passenger test without any reset. 

9 hours ago, VIP said:

There’s 7 sets now, but There’s gonna be 9 sets all together. Kinda like the way when the (C) had R160’s from East New York. 

8 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

No. All of the (C)'s R160s got transferred back to ENY. The last sets of R160s went back to the (J) recently a few weeks ago.

To quote from the R32 Fleet Swap Thread:

7 hours ago, Enjineer said:

Very nice, so when all is said and done the C will be half R179s. Nice. 

Sometimes, all this makes me feel like keeping the 222 R32s and 48 R42s in service is sorta pointless now, since they were originally planned to be retired by the R179s. Not that I'm saying they should be thrown out the window though, because as I understand, in case the R179s were to crap out again, the R32s and R42s would need to be reactivated to make service for the time being.

1 hour ago, Jemorie said:

Sometimes, all this makes me feel like keeping the 222 R32s and 48 R42s in service is sorta pointless now

Well the 42s have yet to be reassigned somewhere outside of ENY, but the 32s are still definitely good to help bolster service. The R179s are just eliminating the fleet shortage; scrapping those cars now and possibly recreating that problem isn't a great idea – considering the pilot 211 is slated to arrive next year it's not like the R32s would be running for another decade, anyways. 

• Upvote 1