R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, whz1995 said:

You are saying Capacity V.S. Frequency. MTA won't let you have both at the same time.

You need to learn how to read and ruminate. That's not what I said. I said that the (C) being full-length means an increase in service, basically. Therefore, an extra four trainsets and a half (36 cars) mean headways increase to 7.5 minute headways from current 10 minute headways, consisting of two options which are different in some way:

1. Have the (C) use full-length 600 feet long trains of either R32 equipment or R46 equipment currently running on the line; add an additional four trainsets and a half (36 cars) (if you prefer R32 equipment) to make it 180 cars (all in full length 600 feet long ten-car sets) instead of 144 cars (all in short length 480 feet long eight-car sets). The entire line's fleet being made up of R46 equipment (144 cars) is also the same full length 600 feet equipment as well since they are 75 foot long which doesn't require any extra cars needed.

Or...

2. Have all 18 (C) trainsets remain short-length 480 feet long trains of either R160 or R179 equipment and add an additional four trainsets (32 cars) to increase the number to 22 instead of 18.

Both options are still the same exact thing. An increase in 7.5 minute headway from 10 minute headway. It could go either way. No matter.

10 hours ago, whz1995 said:

(C) is not packed at all besides from lower Manhattan to mid town in rush hour. I am not seeing any benefit to have full length(C)

From someone who lives by the (C) Train, I strongly disagree that the (C) Train is empty or not even crowded when its packed as hell especially during the Rush Hours. I've even noticed the (C) Trains being packed during the evenings as well. 

Today I rode an 179 (C) that had an software issue of some sort. Train pulled into 34th St, doors opened the announcements went normally until it said the next stop was Kingsbridge Rd and the FIND shut off, seconds later, the FIND came back on and everything was normal again. When I got off the train the outside sign said "Via Concourse". That was one confused train.

4 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

Good. So far we have:

3050-3069 (in service)

3074-3197 (in service)

3206-3217 (testing)

3218-3221 (being delivered)

This means that we only have 3070-73, 3222-25, 3226-29, 3230-33, and 3234-37 left to be delivered before delivery of the five-car sets potentially gets underway. 

Where’s 3198-3201 and 3202-3205 ??

5 hours ago, Enjineer said:

Speaking of which, does anyone know how much of the C's fleet now is made up of R179s? I know the C has, what, 18 sets assigned to it, so the 179s have to be nearing half of that by now

There’s 7 sets now, but There’s gonna be 9 sets all together. Kinda like the way when the (C) had R160’s from East New York. 

16 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

Are there any leftover R160s still running on the (C) or have they been transferred back to the east?

No. All of the (C)'s R160s got transferred back to ENY. The last sets of R160s went back to the (J) recently a few weeks ago.

To quote from the R32 Fleet Swap Thread:

On 2/8/2019 at 9:39 AM, m2fwannabe said:

The last 12 R-160A-1's were moved 207 to East New York at end of service Wednesday evening, February 6.  Two moves:  8645-48 with 9967-70, then 8625-28 by itself.  No more R-160A-1 on (C).

11 minutes ago, U-BahnNYC said:

So how many more left until the 5-car production sets start arriving?

There's 40 cars left in the 4 car configuration to be delivered. Once the 10-car train finishes 30 day revenue testing then we should expect the 5 car sets to be delivered. 

9 hours ago, VIP said:

There’s 7 sets now, but There’s gonna be 9 sets all together. Kinda like the way when the (C) had R160’s from East New York. 

8 hours ago, Coney Island Av said:

No. All of the (C)'s R160s got transferred back to ENY. The last sets of R160s went back to the (J) recently a few weeks ago.

To quote from the R32 Fleet Swap Thread:

7 hours ago, Enjineer said:

Very nice, so when all is said and done the C will be half R179s. Nice. 

Sometimes, all this makes me feel like keeping the 222 R32s and 48 R42s in service is sorta pointless now, since they were originally planned to be retired by the R179s. Not that I'm saying they should be thrown out the window though, because as I understand, in case the R179s were to crap out again, the R32s and R42s would need to be reactivated to make service for the time being.

1 hour ago, Jemorie said:

Sometimes, all this makes me feel like keeping the 222 R32s and 48 R42s in service is sorta pointless now

Well the 42s have yet to be reassigned somewhere outside of ENY, but the 32s are still definitely good to help bolster service. The R179s are just eliminating the fleet shortage; scrapping those cars now and possibly recreating that problem isn't a great idea – considering the pilot 211 is slated to arrive next year it's not like the R32s would be running for another decade, anyways. 

On 2/27/2019 at 8:28 AM, Enjineer said:

Well the 42s have yet to be reassigned somewhere outside of ENY, but the 32s are still definitely good to help bolster service. The R179s are just eliminating the fleet shortage; scrapping those cars now and possibly recreating that problem isn't a great idea – considering the pilot 211 is slated to arrive next year it's not like the R32s would be running for another decade, anyways. 

From what I was told they are in Pitkin... not to be used unless extremely necessary.... not retired or active at this time 

38 minutes ago, JFK Depot said:

From what I was told they are in Pitkin...

I was just at Broadway Junction last Thursday, and I saw multiple sets of 42s. IIRC they moved to Pitkin and then back to ENY – or some are at Pitkin and some are at ENY