R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Calvin said:

According to twitter, the R179 (A) train completed its 30-day test with a grade of: P (Passing) . 

So will they then soon begin delivering more 10-car trains? Or will they wait until the 8-car deliveries are completed first? Or might they deliver them at the same time?

27 minutes ago, Enjineer said:

So will they then soon begin delivering more 10-car trains? Or will they wait until the 8-car deliveries are completed first? Or might they deliver them at the same time?

It might be the third question, since the MTA still have to reach a 1 car per day goal with the r179's to accelerate the delivery.

It's actually inevitable that the first production five-car sets will begin arriving soon. The four-car sets are close to wrapping up with delivery (only 3070-3, 3226-37 remain for deliveries), and since 3010-3019 passed the test, they can begin delivering five-cars. 

Keep in mind though that there are now 14 ten car trains instead of 12 like before... 

33 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

It's actually inevitable that the first production five-car sets will begin arriving soon. The four-car sets are close to wrapping up with delivery (only 3070-3, 3226-37 remain for deliveries), and since 3010-3019 passed the test, they can begin delivering five-cars. 

Keep in mind though that there are now 14 ten car trains instead of 12 like before... 

I wouldn't be surprised if the second 10 car r179 train is ready for delivery, but is waiting for the MTA/Bombardier to give the "green light" so that the delivery can proceed.

50 minutes ago, Coney Island Av said:

It's actually inevitable that the first production five-car sets will begin arriving soon.

I figured as much, but I was just wondering how soon is soon. Given that you said they're almost done with the 4-car sets, then I assume it shouldn't be too much longer until the 10-car sets begin to show up on property...and then it's only a matter of time until the (A) starts to get a whole lot more interesting!

3 minutes ago, Enjineer said:

I figured as much, but I was just wondering how soon is soon. Given that you said they're almost done with the 4-car sets, then I assume it shouldn't be too much longer until the 10-car sets begin to show up on property...and then it's only a matter of time until the (A) starts to get a whole lot more interesting!

I'm estimating a month from now, but it could happen sooner or later than a month.

On 3/13/2019 at 3:30 PM, Enjineer said:

So by the time all the 4-car sets are delivered, the (C) will be more than half R179? Nice!

And the other half of the C fleet will most likely consist of full length trains. I have seen an increase of r46s, which is an indication that the C may be partially full length until the r211s. 

1 hour ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

And the other half of the C fleet will most likely consist of full length trains. I have seen an increase of r46s, which is an indication that the C may be partially full length until the r211s. 

I doubt they'll do that, if it's staying 8 cars then it'll be R32's or the R179's from ENY. 

They ether gonna make the (C) 100% full length or it's staying 8 cars with them removing the 3 R46's on it.

The (C) went from 5-6 sets of 46's to 1-3 sets. Right now everything is tbd, we all know the (G) isn't getting lengthed. The (C) we have no idea. 

16 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

I doubt they'll do that, if it's staying 8 cars then it'll be R32's or the R179's from ENY. 

They ether gonna make the (C) 100% full length or it's staying 8 cars with them removing the 3 R46's on it.

The (C) went from 5-6 sets of 46's to 1-3 sets. Right now everything is tbd, we all know the (G) isn't getting lengthed. The (C) we have no idea. 

Let's see what happens, but once the r211's enter service, the MTA won't have no other choice than to have the C and G become full length. 

15 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Let's see what happens, but once the r211's enter service, the MTA won't have no other choice than to have the C and G become full length. 

There’s way too many 4-car sets, the surplus R179’s are either staying at 207th Street or going to Coney Island for (G) crosstown CBTC in the future.