R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

3 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

And again the (C) is going full length before the R211's. Congestion pricing would be in effect before the first 30 day R211 test. Plus MTA has to prepare for it before it starts.

How will they able to accommodate that before the R211s arrive?

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

This doesn't have anything to do with the r32's. The J got all the r160's that was displaced to the C in addition to the 12 8 car r179's. Does the J really need all those 8 car trains (r160's, r143's, and r179's), especially now that Canarsie shutdown has been changed? 

In my opinion, No, although the M still needs a few more trains.

The MTA needs to do something in regards to the surplus of 8 car trains. The G will be the only option once the C becomes full length with the r211's.

With the (M) getting a service boost, they need the surplus of R160's at ENY yard. The R143's are unreliable, spare factor has grown because of it. The R42's would likely go to Coney island as originally planned or storage. 

With the (G) getting a service boost as well, it's obvious the R46's at pitkin (13 trains worth) are being pushed out. It's ether Jamaica getting them to push out more 160's to CI or directly to Coney island for (G) service.

5 minutes ago, happy283 said:

The (G) will most likely get the 8 car R179s when the R211s displace them from the (C) Then the R179 and R211 will operate on the (A)(C) making the (C) full length at last.

The (G) would get R160's and the R179's would go to ENY.  

It's logical to do that due to parts.

18 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

And again the (C) is going full length before the R211's. Congestion pricing would be in effect before the first 30 day R211 test. Plus MTA has to prepare for it before it starts.

Sorry for the skepticism. Politicians tend to make a lot of fake promises. Only time will tell if the money for congestion pricing will really go to the MTA.

19 minutes ago, happy283 said:

The (G) will most likely get the 8 car R179s when the R211s displace them from the (C) Then the R179 and R211 will operate on the (A)(C) making the (C) full length at last.

Yes or like @R32 3838 the G will get the 8 car r160's from ENY and ENY gets the remaining 8 car r179's from the C.

It could happen either way, but the G will definitely get 8 car trains.

8 minutes ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

Yes or like @R32 3838 the G will get the 8 car r160's from ENY and ENY gets the remaining 8 car r179's from the C.

It could happen either way, but the G will definitely get 8 car trains.

I hope the (G) gets them. The last thing we need is for ENY to get more R179s since everything there seems to get scratched up or vandalized in one way or another. The newest subway cars deserve better.

55 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

With the (M) getting a service boost, they need the surplus of R160's at ENY yard. The R143's are unreliable, spare factor has grown because of it. The R42's would likely go to Coney island as originally planned or storage. 

With the (G) getting a service boost as well, it's obvious the R46's at pitkin (13 trains worth) are being pushed out. It's ether Jamaica getting them to push out more 160's to CI or directly to Coney island for (G) service.

The R143’s ARE reliable and NO R46’s are leaving Pitkin. NO car transfers are happening until R211’s pass passenger testing and is in full time service. If you don’t work in RTO in the B division, don’t assume, that’s how rumors and unnecessary banter starts. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

The (G) would get R160's and the R179's would go to ENY.  

It's logical to do that due to parts.

I'm going to disagree with you there since it's the 4 car R179s that are getting CBTC installed by Siemens for Crosstown CBTC, as per the RFP.

Edited by Around the Horn

9 hours ago, VIP said:

The R143’s ARE reliable and NO R46’s are leaving Pitkin. NO car transfers are happening until R211’s pass passenger testing and is in full time service. If you don’t work in RTO in the B division, don’t assume, that’s how rumors and unnecessary banter starts. Thanks. 

Mdbf says otherwise with the R143's

If Coney island is getting R46's from Jamaica they'll need more due to spare factor.

Pitkin or 207th is going to loose something. There's a surplus of R32's at 207th right now. With 12 more R179 10 car units coming, something has to move. It's logical for the R46's to move and it won't be much anyway.

Again common sense, if the (C) goes full length then the 8 car 179's are moving.

9 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

I'm going to disagree with you there since it's the 4 car R179s that are getting CBTC installed by Siemens for Crosstown CBTC, as per the RFP.

That can change though, but if it does get 179's. It'll come from the (C).

9 hours ago, VIP said:

Don’t be so sure. Anything can happen in Transit. 

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if 207th keeps 3070 - 3073... so they have an spare 4 car set. If not, out of 11 trainsets I would imagine only 8 or 9 sets would be in service on the (C) at most with the other cars as spares or getting inspected in the shop.

Looks that way for now. I saw 8 R179s on the (C) today but only 3 R32s on the (A) and 1 R46 on the (C)

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Probably coming in Monday

Given that 3242-38 was spotted heading to Pitkin late Thursday night, I wouldn't be surprised if 3247-46 arrived Monday, with the same deliveries happening like last week, to end up with 3247-43 heading to Pitkin next Thursday as well. If that indeed happens, I'd assume 3238-47 would be on the test track in the near future.