R179 Discussion Thread

East New York

16 hours ago, Enjineer said:

Given that 3242-38 was spotted heading to Pitkin late Thursday night, I wouldn't be surprised if 3247-46 arrived Monday, with the same deliveries happening like last week, to end up with 3247-43 heading to Pitkin next Thursday as well. If that indeed happens, I'd assume 3238-47 would be on the test track in the near future. 

I would assume 3238-3242 would hit the test track sometime this week before 3243-3247 arrives. If next week 3248-3252 is spotted coming in, it finally means Bombardier is accelerating the delivery of cars and is starting to meet the 1 car per day production rate. Fingers crossed 🤞

3 hours ago, railrfan11 said:

has anyone seen the 10-car set ?

I didn't see it Thursday, and the last time I saw it was early April. No clue where it could be, but since its now part of the fleet, it can show up at anytime, even overnight when no one is out. Another 5-car set is already here, with another incoming, so soon there will be 2 on the (A), it will be more common to find a 10-car set soon.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, subwayfan1998 said:

I've heard many said that If CBTC is fully completed in the QBL, G would recieve NTTs.

This is all just speculation. Due to CBTC in the first 5 years of the FF plan, the (G) is bound to get NTTs. The (N) and (W) will not have CBTC within the first 5 years, so the theory has been that there will be a whole switcheroo and the (N) / (W) will get R68s.

4 hours ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

This is all just speculation. Due to CBTC in the first 5 years of the FF plan, the (G) is bound to get NTTs. The (N) and (W) will not have CBTC within the first 5 years, so the theory has been that there will be a whole switcheroo and the (N) / (W) will get R68s.

N/W will have CBTC in next 10 years, yes you're right it is just speculation. But I Doubt N/W will get R68s, R68s will mostly be on Concourse Yard. What about the Q Line, if G Train get NTTs.

16 hours ago, VIP said:

3070-3073 is doing burn in on the (C) now and it’s coupled with 3146-3149 from ENY 

16 hours ago, VIP said:

Saw it as well. I think they’re going to stay at 207th. 

More likely that ENY is excused from providing a break-in crew,, while the personnel are all currently based at 207 & Pitkin.

Once they get their miles and are accepted it won't really matter where they run.  

My money is on East New York (J)(Z) if only BECAUSE the trouble was taken  to import 3146-49 specifically for this purpose.  It exudes seriousness...

Evening ladies and gentlemen lol. Forgive me for being late in the game (I haven't been here in about two weeks now I think), but I've recently heard from a friend of mine that all four-car R179s have successfully been delivered? If that's true, then that's wonderful news. Now we just need to get the five-car sets into the table and the entire R179 order is complete.

18 minutes ago, Jemorie said:

Evening ladies and gentlemen lol. Forgive me for being late in the game (I haven't been here in about two weeks now I think), but I've recently heard from a friend of mine that all four-car R179s have successfully been delivered? If that's true, then that's wonderful news. Now we just need to get the five-car sets into the table and the entire R179 order is complete.

All 4 car sets delivered. First five car set other than 3010-3019 has been delivered also.

2 hours ago, Eagle Railfanning said:

Anyone know why 3010-19 is testing again? 

I'm not really up to speed on the R179 program so I don't know for sure, but it's likely they needed to do some sort of modification (most likely software) that was serious enough to warrant redoing the burn-in test.  Remember, the original R179 trains (3010-3019, 3050-3057) had/have many more issues than the production cars.

On 4/25/2019 at 3:47 PM, subwayfan1998 said:

I've heard many said that If CBTC is fully completed in the QBL, G would recieve NTTs.

The G will receive NTT's, not necessarily because of CBTC, but due to the surplus of 8 car trains. Once the C becomes full length, the G will be the only line outside ENY that can accommodate 8 car trains. CTBC will just determine whether the G gets the r160's or r179's. If the MTA decides to extend the G during the weekends to Forest Hills, then the G will most likely get the r160's (r179's are not compatible with QBL CTBC) . If the weekend G extension doesn't happen, then the G will most likely get the r179's.

On 4/26/2019 at 12:05 AM, subwayfan1998 said:

N/W will have CBTC in next 10 years, yes you're right it is just speculation. But I Doubt N/W will get R68s, R68s will mostly be on Concourse Yard. What about the Q Line, if G Train get NTTs.

I think they will once the r211's are in service and 8th Avenue becomes CTBC.

We should expect major fleet changes in the B division around 2021-2022. 

Any fleet changes this year are related to the r179's.

4 hours ago, subwaycommuter1983 said:

I think they will once the r211's are in service and 8th Avenue becomes CTBC.

We should expect major fleet changes in the B division around 2021-2022. 

Any fleet changes this year are related to the r179's.

When will the CBTC on 8th Avenue be completed?