SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

3 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

1. Yes some form of de-interlining should happen if it is cost effective and doesn’t force 99% of passengers to transfer

2. dropping the (W) this time just keeps the prince street switches in service 24/7 but the 34 St switches are now locked in place since the (Q) goes up to 2 Av and only the (N) goes to Astoria.

3. A lot of the midday trains have been carrying air lately.

4. The reason why rush hour service (with the exception of the (N) in Astoria) cannot be cut is because even though the ridership is ~65% of what it was in 2019, the trains are still packed like sardines since the trains are still reaching their peak loading point in the outer boroughs and in working class neighborhoods. For example, eliminating even ONE (7) train trip would spell pandemonium because of how well ridership has rebound on the line. The issue is that as ridership continues to pick back up, the trains are no longer going to fit passengers and people will now start being left on the platforms waiting for multiple trains to pass by.

5. new funding sources are needed like in other metro systems - the MTA is providing a public service yet is being treated as if it were offering Botox injections that are not subsidized by the government and entirely covered by private debt and fares/revenue from the passengers.

6 A PSA to those who ride the subway - those of you farebeaters?! This is partly your fault - costing the agency 1/2 a BILLION $$$ in just this year, and then you complain why your service gets cut. They need an automatic system to enforce fare payment that is cost effective, maybe like harsh penalties for those caught.

I’d rather the Prince St switches not be used either and leave the (N) express. There always seems to be a delay when they are in use.

Agree that the State needs to change how they treat the MTA. Because whenever they want to widen a highway - it’s, “Hey look! We’ve got money for that!”

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/3/2022 at 10:10 AM, darkstar8983 said:

Actually I do and people will just tough it out. There will be some areas hit harder than others I will admit but New Yorkers are tough. I mean look at Astoria. I took away the (W) and left them with just the current haphazard (N) service

… dude… having actually worked the L… this is a none starter. We MUST keep the headway the way it is, if not make the headway even smaller. We don’t “tough it out”.

6 hours ago, T to Dyre Avenue said:

I’d rather the Prince St switches not be used either and leave the (N) express. There always seems to be a delay when they are in use.

Agree that the State needs to change how they treat the MTA. Because whenever they want to widen a highway - it’s, “Hey look! We’ve got money for that!”

Ehhh not 100% true, because then why would the DOT have condensed the BQE to two lanes in both directions ar the promenade to “extend the useful life” of the highway instead of starting a highway replacement project. I would do a highway tunnel under 3 Av that starts from the Gowanus straight to Tillary St, and keeping the promenade section as 2 lanes because of the reduced demand for the scenic route and higher demand for direct Brooklyn/Queens flow. Those going to manhattan and don’t want the scenic route can use the Battery Tunnel since by then congestion pricing will have leveled out the pricing tolls on all crossings between Queen/Brooklyn and Manhattan 

https://www.silive.com/news/2022/12/when-does-it-end-mta-hochul-slammed-for-proposed-fare-and-toll-increases.html

An MTA proposal that would make traveling around New York City more expensive for transit riders and drivers is under fire from two of the borough’s elected officials.

On Monday, Rep. Nicole Malliotakis (R-Staten Island/South Brooklyn) and Assemblyman Michael Tannousis (R-East Shore/South Brooklyn) gathered at the 77th Street Station in Bay Ridge to criticize the MTA’s proposed plan to raise transit fares and bridge and tunnel tolls in 2023.

“The MTA is a black hole -- they’re constantly asking for more and more money. My question to the governor and the MTA is: At what point is it enough? At what point will the MTA be able to run its services without hitting our constituents over the head time and time again?” said Malliotakis.

At November’s MTA Board meeting, agency officials presented the MTA’s 2023 November Financial Plan, which includes a proposal to raise fares and tolls beyond the standard biennial increases to help offset the looming multi-billion dollar deficits the agency faces in the coming year.

Typically, the MTA increases fare and toll rates by 4% every two years.

However, with the agency in dire financial straits, officials have proposed an approximate 5.5% fare and toll hike in 2023, followed by a standard 4% increase in 2025.

The increases, if approved, are expected to generate the agency an additional $1.8 billion through 2026.

The MTA has not increased mass transit fares since April 2019 in an effort to aid ridership recovery following the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, though bridge tolls were increased in April 2021.

The elected officials took aim at Gov. Kathy Hochul, arguing that she should use funds from the “bloated state budget” to prevent any fare and toll hikes on the general public.

“The priorities of our state are not where they should be -- the priorities are not the New York State taxpayer,” Tannousis said. “If the MTA took only a fraction of the money New York wasted in the budget, we wouldn’t be in this situation. The taxpayer should be their number one priority.”

“If the governor thinks the MTA needs more money, I urge her to look at the mismanagement of the MTA and its capital projects, our state’s bloated spending, and the fare and toll evasion that’s going on,” Malliotakis added.

A representative from the governor’s office noted that Hochul worked to prevent any fare increases in 2022 and said that the state is working to support public transit in New York City.

“Governor Hochul took action last year to avoid a fare hike or service reductions, and she is committed to providing safe, quality and reliable transit service to riders. We will continue working with federal partners and state legislators on how to best support public transit,” said spokesman John Lindsay.

In November 2021, Hochul announced that the MTA would hold off on any potential fare increases in 2022 and any service reductions through 2024.

“We anticipate that there will be no fare hikes for the MTA,” Hochul said at the time during a media briefing at Albany International Airport. “I’m real excited to say that we will not have to raise the fares or have any service cuts. The service cuts that were planned for 2023-2024 are now off the table for MTA commuters.”

MTA Chairman and CEO Janno Lieber said at the time that any potential fare increases would be tabled for at least six months and “maybe well beyond that.”

The elected officials also criticized the MTA for what they called “years of financial mismanagement,” noting that the agency faces extreme deficits despite receiving $15 billion in federal coronavirus (COVID-19) relief funds.

In October, Malliotakis introduced legislation that, if passed, would require the federal Department of Transportation’s Office of Inspector General to conduct a full audit of all federal funds issued to the MTA.

“I’ve introduced legislation on the federal level to audit every penny the MTA has received, because it’s unconscionable that they’ve received all this money and still need more. When does it end? We know the more money we pour into this system, the more it’s misspent with mismanaged projects and utter incompetence and bureaucracy,” Malliotakis said.

A representative from the MTA noted that the coronavirus relief funds have been crucial in maintaining service over the past few years, and that the federal dollars received already include audit provisions.

“As members of Congress are well aware, federal funding received during the pandemic continues to be used to run service -- including on Staten Island and in South Brooklyn -- to ensure nurses, grocery workers, first responders, teachers and other New Yorkers could get to jobs, health-care and other critical destinations,” said MTA Chief of External Relations John J. McCarthy.

“Every bill that brought essential support to transit agencies, keeping trains and buses operating during a national emergency, included federal audit provisions that don’t require grandstanding by politicians to activate,” McCarthy added.

Agency officials have said the proposed fare and toll increases are needed to help address the agency’s looming fiscal cliff, with the MTA facing $11.4 billion of projected deficits over the next four years, which cannot be fully covered by the agency’s remaining $5.6 billion in federal coronavirus aid.

I would have created a new thread for this, but eh. 

Edited by Vulturious

Been kicking it for the last month with my coworkers and some family and friends about the election results and  NYC transit issues. A few caveats though. This is a personal viewpoint and includes some other folks insights. 
We all knew that the (MTA) couldn’t handle it’s financial situation and this has gone on for a generation at least. I know that many of you consider the (MTA) and the NYCTA synonymous but many of us don’t. We feel that Transit, LIRR, and MNRR people know their jobs. I don’t think the (MTA) folks have the same knowledge. The agency has been overly reliant on consultants for years. I’m still teased about my response to the ATS/ CBTC idea when it was first proposed for the IRT. I said that whoever agreed with the idea, as described to a few people, should have been investigated by the Village Voice and proper District Attorney’s office. It basically boiled down to some consultants saying that they could squeeze a 16 oz Pepsi into a 12 oz can. Took me the length of the Joralemon tube to make my decision and my rabbi and his associate nodded in agreement..

Next point is about fleet “expansion “ as it’s been bandied about by some people. The (MTA) is broke with subway ridership expected to reach 60% of pre-pandemic numbers by 2026. Meanwhile there are folks who want to ditch the R68/ 68A class of equipment and replace them with something new ? The money train is drying up in a year or so. Does anyone think that the Feds will look at this seriously?

Final point for now. How many posters know what White Pot junction is ? This is a reference to the Rockaway Beach Branch and the possibility of extending it. The City of New York owns the right of way. The NYCTA uses the southern portion of the line up to Liberty Junction and the IND. The northern section was leased to the LIRR by the City to provide service for the section from the LIRR mainline to Ozone Park station after the city purchased the line until 1962. I mentioned White Pot because there’s no legal way to get across the LIRR mainline from the Branch to the IND line on Queens Blvd. How can a broke agency get money and probably a Federal waiver of some sort for a project like this ? Short answer is this isn’t happening.

My personal opinion is that any Federal money coming into the area is going towards the Hudson and the East River tunnels projects.

These are my opinions and those of my closest associates. You are free to disagree or not. Nothing is taken personally by us. Carry on.

Edited by Trainmaster5

50 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Nice! The 44s will get serviced at the new barn before retirement.

Hopefully this new shop makes it easier to keep the flat wheel situation under control out there. 44s turn half a century old in 2023:D

https://www.amny.com/transit/mta-lieber-subway-turnstiles-redesign-fare-evasion/

MTA is talking about new fare gates. Long overdue, hopefully this will reduce/eliminate the use of emergency exits

Meanwhile, I still believe some form of proof of payment need to be implemented in conjunction with this. There is no racism if the entire train is getting checked at grand Central, you don't have a ticket, or you didn't scan your card, you get a fine, simple like that

On 12/6/2022 at 2:53 AM, Kamen Rider said:

… dude… having actually worked the L… this is a none starter. We MUST keep the headway the way it is, if not make the headway even smaller. We don’t “tough it out”.

It's amazing how far the NYC subway fell since 2010. We had 6-8 minutes frequency on trains on weekend back then, now we are lucky a train comes in 12 min. 

Don't even get me started on night/evening service. Train headway are horrible, with 30 minute wait being not unusual.

Regarding MTA finances, they are expecting everyone like how Janno Lieber said it "City Hall, Albany and the federal government" to bail them out. There is no real plan of action to reduce expenses and think of ways to be more efficient. They mention reducing expenses by like what 60 million or so, which is a joke in a billion dollar agency. 

The budget also expect fare evasion to magically fall to 2018 levels (2%), which I'm not sure if they ride their buses and trains, nobody pay, and there is a culture/system of not paying that didn't exist in 2018. 

Even if the MTA gets their 600 million, it will only avert next year's fiscal cliff. They will be back to the same predicament in a year or two.

In the mean time even though the ridership is 60% with weekend and off peak rebounding much faster than traditional peak hours, MTA is providing even crappier off peak service than the pandemic and overserving traditional peak period for ridership that no longer needs to ride at that time, praying that ridership will also magically return to 2019 levels. 

Overall they are hoping everything returns to 2019, and/or the government bail out whatever expenses they need to, and change nothing within the organization. In short they want to take the easy way out

14 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

https://www.amny.com/transit/mta-lieber-subway-turnstiles-redesign-fare-evasion/

MTA is talking about new fare gates. Long overdue, hopefully this will reduce/eliminate the use of emergency exits

Meanwhile, I still believe some form of proof of payment need to be implemented in conjunction with this. There is no racism if the entire train is getting checked at grand Central, you don't have a ticket, or you didn't scan your card, you get a fine, simple like that

It's amazing how far the NYC subway fell since 2010. We had 6-8 minutes frequency on trains on weekend back then, now we are lucky a train comes in 12 min. 

Don't even get me started on night/evening service. Train headway are horrible, with 30 minute wait being not unusual.

Regarding MTA finances, they are expecting everyone like how Janno Lieber said it "City Hall, Albany and the federal government" to bail them out. There is no real plan of action to reduce expenses and think of ways to be more efficient. They mention reducing expenses by like what 60 million or so, which is a joke in a billion dollar agency. 

The budget also expect fare evasion to magically fall to 2018 levels (2%), which I'm not sure if they ride their buses and trains, nobody pay, and there is a culture/system of not paying that didn't exist in 2018. 

Even if the MTA gets their 600 million, it will only avert next year's fiscal cliff. They will be back to the same predicament in a year or two.

In the mean time even though the ridership is 60% with weekend and off peak rebounding much faster than traditional peak hours, MTA is providing even crappier off peak service than the pandemic and overserving traditional peak period for ridership that no longer needs to ride at that time, praying that ridership will also magically return to 2019 levels. 

Overall they are hoping everything returns to 2019, and/or the government bail out whatever expenses they need to, and change nothing within the organization. In short they want to take the easy way out

I wouldn’t be surprised if the ridership is actually closer to 70%-75% by now but we can’t keep track because of those f***ing people farebeating. If I were the MTA, I’d hire former marines and soldiers to patrol the subway like stealthy ninjas and literally tackle anyone that farebeats- some rough love and a $350,000 fine for farebeating and BOOM. Farebeating problems fixed because people would be afraid to do it if they know the consequences. 

also, as for the delays caused by customers holding the doors, replace train doors with doors that have retractable spikes. That slows down delays due to inconsiderate passengers who not only farebeat but also delay the service for those who actually paid to ride.

thr MTA also needs to get a grip on contractors who are abusing the system and trying to milk the TA for dollars they don’t have just so they can coast and delay big subway improvement projects because “they know they can”. And what is this I’m hearing that a new CBTC system has to be re-done because the parts needed were not the right size?!!! If I were the MTA I would sue that contractor 

15 hours ago, Calvin said:

The bonnets look like they were JUST painted a few minutes before you took this picture.

Also, I think it is a yard-by-yard thing where some cars look efficient where others look like they're on their last legs and begging to be scrapped. Id say biggest caretakers of subway cars have been

1. Corona Yard (even with the R62As they had, they always ran great and looked as if they were washed regularly. This is probably since their cars are so isolated from the rest of the system and cannot be stored anywhere else.

2. Coney Island Yard  (pre-2020).  Their R68s/R68As and R160s were always in pretty clean aesthetic shape, even if their cars had lower MDBFs compared to other yards, but that is a product of the spare factors and the lines the cars had to run on (proportion of rush hour to non-rush hour service). 

3. Unionport/239 St Yard. The R142s on the (2)(5) look as if they were just bought (aesthetic wise). I think mechanically they're also holding up quite well. What helps here again is the line demand for (2)(5) service, and while the weekend (2) requires (on paper) more or less the same number of trains as weekday midday/evening hours, the (5) is a different story. Thee (5) is either  (a) reduced to every 20 minutes, (b) suspended (full or partial), or (c) the regular weekend service that is already cut back from Flatbush Av to Bowling Green and headways of 12 minutes compared to the rush hour headway of 4.5 minutes.

Worst offenders for subway  car cleanliness

1. Jerome Av Yard: The cars on the (4) look like they've never been clean (not even from the day of delivery. Mechanically, I think the R142/R142A's on the (4) actually have the lowest MDBF out of any NTT fleet. The issue is car availability and the need to run extra cars on weekend service during GOs that require (a)  the (4) extended to New Lots, (b) local service in either Manhattan or Brooklyn, or (c) GOs where the (5) is cut between 149 St and E180 St and the south portion needs to use cars from the (4).

2. East New York Yard: The cars here are aesthetically terrible. For the (L) the problem is the service frequency - it must provide rush hour service all 7 day of the week, which leads to poor aesthetic quality of the cars and poor mechanical performance. A couple of years ago, the R143s were barely pulling off 60,000 miles between breakdowns as a fleet. The issue with the (J)(M) cars is that the (J) shuffles its R160s/R143s from the (L) pool, and the R179s still have occasional teething issues it needs to resolve. As for the (M), half of its R160s are in Fresh Pond Yard (no maintenance facility), or Jamaica Yard for storage (not responsible for maintenance of (M) train R160s), and these R160s sometimes rotate in and out of (J) service because of the fleet shortage in ENY. But when the R211s start coming in, it is likely that the (J) will get the last of the (C)'s R179s, which are in DESPERATE need of a car wash.

3. 207 St/Pitkin Yards - Where do I begin? The cars on the (A)(C) are practically BEGGING for a shower (same as the Jerome Av Yard entry). The problem here is car availability. The R46 fleet is spread so thin that it has almost no spares for the lines it needs to serve, and the R179 fleet doesn't help much due to how botched the cars were set up. Had the entire order been 600' trains or 480' trains (not a mix like they did here), we would have much more flexibility with the cars we can assign to which route. In the case of all 600' trains, they would all be on the (A) and the R46s would be on the (C) (with some lingering R46 (A)  trains), and the reverse setup had the order been all 480' trains  (all R179s to the (C), leftovers to the (J), and all R46s to the (A) only). But we ended up with 96 cars that can run only with themselves on the (J), 92 cars that can only run by themselves on the (C), and 130 cars that can only run by themselves on the (A). Completely illogical. Back to the issue of maintenance and car cleanliness: This awkward setup rigidifies which cars can run where, meaning you don't have flexibility as to which cars can be assigned in a pinch to which lines. 

All the other yards that weren't mentioned do an OK job with maintenance and aesthetics, but could do better. 240 St Yard could do better but the (1) actually runs pretty even service and is reliable. I just think it needs more cars to allow other cars to get some shop time. Ditto for Concourse and Westchester. If they want any tips, take a lesson from Livonia Yard - how those R62s on the (3) pull off 250,000+ miles between breakdowns still boggles my mind even though most of the fleet stays at the shop-less 148 St Yard. It's probably a combination of good maintenance, and the fact most of the (3) fleet doesn't run weekends or late evenings (similar to the (5)). The R62s do need a wash though.

2 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

The bonnets look like they were JUST painted a few minutes before you took this picture.

Also, I think it is a yard-by-yard thing where some cars look efficient where others look like they're on their last legs and begging to be scrapped. Id say biggest caretakers of subway cars have been

1. Corona Yard (even with the R62As they had, they always ran great and looked as if they were washed regularly. This is probably since their cars are so isolated from the rest of the system and cannot be stored anywhere else.

2. Coney Island Yard  (pre-2020).  Their R68s/R68As and R160s were always in pretty clean aesthetic shape, even if their cars had lower MDBFs compared to other yards, but that is a product of the spare factors and the lines the cars had to run on (proportion of rush hour to non-rush hour service). 

3. Unionport/239 St Yard. The R142s on the (2)(5) look as if they were just bought (aesthetic wise). I think mechanically they're also holding up quite well. What helps here again is the line demand for (2)(5) service, and while the weekend (2) requires (on paper) more or less the same number of trains as weekday midday/evening hours, the (5) is a different story. Thee (5) is either  (a) reduced to every 20 minutes, (b) suspended (full or partial), or (c) the regular weekend service that is already cut back from Flatbush Av to Bowling Green and headways of 12 minutes compared to the rush hour headway of 4.5 minutes.

Worst offenders for subway  car cleanliness

1. Jerome Av Yard: The cars on the (4) look like they've never been clean (not even from the day of delivery. Mechanically, I think the R142/R142A's on the (4) actually have the lowest MDBF out of any NTT fleet. The issue is car availability and the need to run extra cars on weekend service during GOs that require (a)  the (4) extended to New Lots, (b) local service in either Manhattan or Brooklyn, or (c) GOs where the (5) is cut between 149 St and E180 St and the south portion needs to use cars from the (4).

2. East New York Yard: The cars here are aesthetically terrible. For the (L) the problem is the service frequency - it must provide rush hour service all 7 day of the week, which leads to poor aesthetic quality of the cars and poor mechanical performance. A couple of years ago, the R143s were barely pulling off 60,000 miles between breakdowns as a fleet. The issue with the (J)(M) cars is that the (J) shuffles its R160s/R143s from the (L) pool, and the R179s still have occasional teething issues it needs to resolve. As for the (M), half of its R160s are in Fresh Pond Yard (no maintenance facility), or Jamaica Yard for storage (not responsible for maintenance of (M) train R160s), and these R160s sometimes rotate in and out of (J) service because of the fleet shortage in ENY. But when the R211s start coming in, it is likely that the (J) will get the last of the (C)'s R179s, which are in DESPERATE need of a car wash.

3. 207 St/Pitkin Yards - Where do I begin? The cars on the (A)(C) are practically BEGGING for a shower (same as the Jerome Av Yard entry). The problem here is car availability. The R46 fleet is spread so thin that it has almost no spares for the lines it needs to serve, and the R179 fleet doesn't help much due to how botched the cars were set up. Had the entire order been 600' trains or 480' trains (not a mix like they did here), we would have much more flexibility with the cars we can assign to which route. In the case of all 600' trains, they would all be on the (A) and the R46s would be on the (C) (with some lingering R46 (A)  trains), and the reverse setup had the order been all 480' trains  (all R179s to the (C), leftovers to the (J), and all R46s to the (A) only). But we ended up with 96 cars that can run only with themselves on the (J), 92 cars that can only run by themselves on the (C), and 130 cars that can only run by themselves on the (A). Completely illogical. Back to the issue of maintenance and car cleanliness: This awkward setup rigidifies which cars can run where, meaning you don't have flexibility as to which cars can be assigned in a pinch to which lines. 

All the other yards that weren't mentioned do an OK job with maintenance and aesthetics, but could do better. 240 St Yard could do better but the (1) actually runs pretty even service and is reliable. I just think it needs more cars to allow other cars to get some shop time. Ditto for Concourse and Westchester. If they want any tips, take a lesson from Livonia Yard - how those R62s on the (3) pull off 250,000+ miles between breakdowns still boggles my mind even though most of the fleet stays at the shop-less 148 St Yard. It's probably a combination of good maintenance, and the fact most of the (3) fleet doesn't run weekends or late evenings (similar to the (5)). The R62s do need a wash though.

ENY does not have a wash facility running lights to Canarsie Yard is not that simple with the (L) frequency. Fresh pond yard does have a maintenance barn it was add a few years ago but it’s only 3 tracks and does not perform major work.

Edited by Nova Fly Guy

11 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

I'm not sure about every line's headway since I retired in 2010. in the IRT the headways on the (2) , (3) , and (5) were 10 minutes on Saturdays and 12 minutes on Sundays for the preceding 30 years. This I know because I worked those lines exclusively from the start to the end of my time in RTO. Carry on.

Let me add this to my previous post before I forget. Weekday intervals leaving Dyre to Brooklyn in the PMs. The last 6 trips were the 6:52, 7:02, 7:12, 7:22, 7:31, and the 7:42. The: 6:52, the 7:31 and the 7:42 terminated at Utica and they went to Livonia yard to lay up. The 7:02 and the 7:12 went to Utica and then returned northbound to Dyre. The 7:22 went from Dyre in service to New Lots and laid up in the yard. The point I’m trying to make is that the headways were 10 minutes on the weekdays on average  from 2:51 PM to the last Brooklyn train. Maybe the (1) and the (6) ran more frequently, especially on the weekends I’m guessing. Just my recollection from my work programs. Carry on.

I have a question
I’ve been making my Elevated lines on Brand New Subway I realized that there were 2 types of express services, “Thru-Express” and “express” and they seem to differ given that they have different signage, I believe shown here

However I couldn’t find anything about “Thru-Express” trains, anywhere

4 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I'm not sure about every line's headway since I retired in 2010. in the IRT the headways on the (2) , (3) , and (5) were 10 minutes on Saturdays and 12 minutes on Sundays for the preceding 30 years. This I know because I worked those lines exclusively from the start to the end of my time in RTO. Carry on.

At some point, they bumped the (2) up to every 8 minutes on weekends during certain times, though I can't say exactly when.

Why are trains going over bridges (e.g., B/D/N/Q on the Manhattan Bridge) severely limited by their speed? Other systems (e.g., PATCO in Philadelphia) have no problems running their trains over bridges at high speeds. I figured someone on here might know a concrete answer.

9 minutes ago, Tonyboy515 said:

Why are trains going over bridges (e.g., B/D/N/Q on the Manhattan Bridge) severely limited by their speed? Other systems (e.g., PATCO in Philadelphia) have no problems running their trains over bridges at high speeds. I figured someone on here might know a concrete answer.

The trains have steep inclines on both ends of the bridge. Trains are slower going uphill and one end of the Bridge (Brooklyn) you have DeKalb junction and the curves on the Manhattan end.

WillyB Manhattan bound before you get to the grade timers is as good as you gonna get in regards to speed on a bridge in NYCT.