SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

https://new.mta.info/press-release/new-york-city-transit-outlines-subway-service-adjustments-coming-2023 Not sure where to put this but I think this thread may be the best option.

New scheduled service changes coming next year includes:

• Increase of weekend service on the (G)(J)(M) lines by reducing headways by 2 minutes
  • (A)(C) express/local rush hour service to begin earlier during weekdays. A morning rush hour (A) to Manhattan will start one trip early while a (C) local service will start earlier to compliment the (A) shift
  • Reductions to the (1)(6)(7)(E)(F)(L)(Q) lines Monday to Fridays due to overall low ridership during weekdays (thanks to hybrid WFH options becoming more of a norm).

These changes are to go effect around June 2023.

Edited by CyclonicTrainLookout

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, CyclonicTrainLookout said:

https://new.mta.info/press-release/new-york-city-transit-outlines-subway-service-adjustments-coming-2023 Not sure where to put this but I think this thread may be the best option.

• Increase of weekend service on the (G)(J)(M) lines by reducing headways by 2 minutes
  • (A)(C) express/local rush hour service to begin earlier during weekdays. A morning rush hour (A) to Manhattan will start one trip early while a (C) local service will start earlier to compliment the (A) shift
  • Reductions to the (1)(6)(7)(E)(F)(L)(Q) lines Monday to Fridays due to overall low ridership during weekdays (thanks to hybrid WFH options becoming more of a norm).

You can just start a thread specifically for this. Not everything needs to go in the Random Thoughts thread. This should have its own thread for discussion.

1 hour ago, CyclonicTrainLookout said:

Why would they reduce service on mondays and fridays? It’s not like everyone don’t take the train during those days, at this point they’re just creating random services to make themselves look like they’re doing their job on making service better 

1 hour ago, Chris89292 said:

Why would they reduce service on mondays and fridays? It’s not like everyone don’t take the train during those days, at this point they’re just creating random services to make themselves look like they’re doing their job on making service better 

Did you read the link they posted?  The response as to why was very clear. Ridership is supposedly lighter during those days.

38 minutes ago, texassubwayfan555 said:

I still do this as I don't know what things deserve their own threads.

Should be straight forward. If it's something that will likely be discussed for several pages, it should have its own thread. If it's just a random thought that can be answered in one or two responses, it probably doesn't need its own thread.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

4 hours ago, CyclonicTrainLookout said:

Reductions to the (1)(6)(7)(E)(F)(L)(Q) lines Monday to Fridays due to overall low ridership during weekdays (thanks to hybrid WFH options becoming more of a norm).

That’s basically my situation. WFH shaves 2 hours off commuting per day. I go in once a week for the office culture and that’s about it.

This is going to have ripple effects. If office works go in less, there isn’t enough business to prop up the population of restaurants in the CBD, and so those workers get reduced as well. Who know what the new equilibrium will be.

Sucks for the (F) though. Service between Kings Highway and Coney Island is already horrendous. If they cut anything, I hope it’s the short turns.

Edited by CenSin

3 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

You mean Monday thru Friday.

They're reducing weekday service because ridership patterns have changed. People aren't riding the subway like they used to for reasons that were already mentioned. So the (MTA) is adjusting accordingly.

This shouldn't come as a surprise to the people who have been paying attention over the past couple of years. Many of us saw this coming already.

23 minutes ago, RandomRider0101 said:

You mean Monday thru Friday.

They're reducing weekday service because ridership patterns have changed. People aren't riding the subway like they used to for reasons that were already mentioned. So the (MTA) is adjusting accordingly.

This shouldn't come as a surprise to the people who have been paying attention over the past couple of years. Many of us saw this coming already.

It's Monday AND Friday, NOT Monday thru Friday, regular service will remain on the other weekdays.

34 minutes ago, GreatOne2k said:

It's Monday AND Friday, NOT Monday thru Friday, regular service will remain on the other weekdays.

I see it now, my mistake.

Well it's still a reduction in service that was inevitably gonna happen; My other points still stand. 

Edited by RandomRider0101

4 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

Update to my original post. If you read the article, there's a reason those two days were selected. Mondays & Fridays are consistently lower compared to the rest of the weekdays.

WFH is more like codename for: We don't have enough equipment so we are going to reduce service to cover up our( (MTA)) f**k up. On top of that Covid is wreaking havoc in china again so expect supply chain shortages again (they really didn't stop but got better) meaning this could affect the R211/M9 orders due to the supplies (components) being short and most of our stuff is made in china.

Ridership has grown, It's just that they don't count farebeaters. I've been on trains that are packed. The (M) and (R) still carries around midday around 10 am.

And i find it funny they want to do this when they want congestion pricing to start by the fall of that year. Yeah, This is very attracting to people they are  trying to force to take mass transit. This is why i laugh at these so-called progressive rail buffs who always defend congesting pricing but at the same time they have (MTA)'s ballsack in their mouths. Even if it's just Monday and Friday, It's not a good way to get people to take mass transit. The word cuts shouldn't come out of (MTA)'s mouth, No one gives a shit when they are trying to force people to fund their mis management.

1 hour ago, R32 3838 said:

WFH is more like codename for: We don't have enough equipment so we are going to reduce service to cover up our( (MTA)) f**k up. On top of that Covid is wreaking havoc in china again so expect supply chain shortages again (they really didn't stop but got better) meaning this could affect the R211/M9 orders due to the supplies (components) being short and most of our stuff is made in china.

Ridership has grown, It's just that they don't count farebeaters. I've been on trains that are packed. The (M) and (R) still carries around midday around 10 am.

And i find it funny they want to do this when they want congestion pricing to start by the fall of that year. Yeah, This is very attracting to people they are  trying to force to take mass transit. This is why i laugh at these so-called progressive rail buffs who always defend congesting pricing but at the same time they have (MTA)'s ballsack in their mouths. Even if it's just Monday and Friday, It's not a good way to get people to take mass transit. The word cuts shouldn't come out of (MTA)'s mouth, No one gives a shit when they are trying to force people to fund their mis management.

Maybe you should go back over the announcement.

7 hours ago, Lex said:

Maybe you should go back over the announcement.

Why?  At best this is a cost neutral move and at worst, a service cut. Even if they have enough equipment (if that's what you're focusing on?), they still don't have enough personnel to run the service that they currently have, so either way it's a problem.

12 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Ridership isn't the same as it was pre-pandemic; so (MTA) is adjusting service patterns to match the new ridership trends.

Come to think of it, this is more like a service shift than a reduction; well technically it's both, but I think most people get the point.

Either way, the 'low on equipment' argument doesn't really hold as much weight when there hasn't even been enough crews to run "normal" service the past 2-3 years; this is on top of the aforementioned ridership issue.

Ultimately, my point is that we shouldn't expect ridership to go back to what it was before; even if/when congestion pricing goes into effect (something I never really voiced my opinion on).

Many people are exercising their option to work from home (those who have that option), so chances are they won't be riding the subway or even driving cars nearly as much. For those of us that have no other options, we will continue to do what we have to do while the MTA adapts in a way that is most financially feasible for them.

5 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Why?  At best this is a cost neutral move and at worst, a service cut. Even if they have enough equipment (if that's what you're focusing on?), they still don't have enough personnel to run the service that they currently have, so either way it's a problem.

The individual in question has a hyperfocus on the R46 cars.

3 hours ago, RandomRider0101 said:

Ridership isn't the same as it was pre-pandemic; so (MTA) is adjusting service patterns to match the new ridership trends.

Come to think of it, this is more like a service shift than a reduction; well technically it's both, but I think most people get the point.

Either way, the 'low on equipment' argument doesn't really hold as much weight when there hasn't even been enough crews to run "normal" service the past 2-3 years; this is on top of the aforementioned ridership issue.

Ultimately, my point is that we shouldn't expect ridership to go back to what it was before; even if/when congestion pricing goes into effect (something I never really voiced my opinion on).

Many people are exercising their option to work from home (those who have that option), so chances are they won't be riding the subway or even driving cars nearly as much. For those of us that have no other options, we will continue to do what we have to do while the MTA adapts in a way that is most financially feasible for them.

When you have (MTA), the city and state pushing for congestion pricing and wanting to charge $23 to go below 60th st. This right here isn't a good idea and the fact they they want to do this in June of next year is laughable. The whole ridership is down is non sense when i ride the subway daily and the trains are packed. We all know its not pre pandemic levels but you can't sit here and try to force people to take mass transit but take away options at the same time. This is why people oppose congestion pricing. 

2 hours ago, Lex said:

The individual in question has a hyperfocus on the R46 cars.

It's not about having a hyperfocus on the R46s cars. It's about having enough subway cars so when they do congestion pricing, They'll have enough Trains to cover for the expected ridership jump.

An MTA Property Protection Agent shot someone at Union Street on the (R) train tonight. First time I heard of those PPA actually shooting someone.

For those who don't know, PPA are the armed guards who guard the employees who work on the MVM. This shooting supposedly happened due to an argument, not an robbery.

Edited by trainfan22

8 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

An MTA Property Protection Agent shot someone at Union Street on the (R) train tonight. First time I heard of those PPA actually shooting someone.

For those who don't know, PPA are the armed guards who guard the employees who work on the MVM. This shooting supposedly happened due to an argument, not an robbery.

probably more to the story, Just like how everyone jumped the gun on the NJT driver for shooting those animals. We will find out the real reason probably in the morning on what really happened.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

From the articles posted so far, it sounds pretty justified to me. Guy (probably mentally ill) with numerous arrests threatens to hurt these guys, follows them, and then threatens to take the PPA's gun and shoot him. Sounds like reasonable fear of imminent harm leading to a justified shooting in self-defense.

2 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

It's not about having a hyperfocus on the R46s cars. It's about having enough subway cars so when they do congestion pricing, They'll have enough Trains to cover for the expected ridership jump.

Oh? Then please explain how anything that's not the (Q) -- especially anything IRT -- factors into this and what you expect will happen without talking about moving R160s from Jamaica and R179s from East New York.