SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

1 hour ago, ArchytectAnthony said:

Just saw it and omg its the best crossover ever lol.

It really is the best collab ever, on one of my favorite parts of the system. :D

somehow Geoff and Miles managed to stand under Rockaway freeway at the one time it wasn't occupied by a BMW clappin' it down at 50 MPH, found that funny since I know that area good

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/9/2023 at 9:50 PM, MeeP15-9112 said:

By chance, does anyone have the official PDFs of the subway map from between 1998 through 2000? I've tried the wayback machine and I've had no luck.

Just go to www.nycsubway.org and you might see those.

Edited by ThatSubwayFan980

https://imgur.com/a/sAGXYn0

If there is a D train on the black line I marked, and a Q train on the red line i have marked, would the D be moving and have a green signal since it switches to a different track compared to the Q, or would the D be held until the Q gets ahead before its able to make that switch?   Also for the reverse situation, if lets say the D where that black line is is lets say the one thats ahead and halfway through its switch to its tracks to the bridge, and the q is the one before its switch to the bridge, would the Q in that situation be held while the d gets further ahead even though they are not going on the same tracks?

Edited by habbyy

1 hour ago, habbyy said:

https://imgur.com/a/sAGXYn0

If there is a D train on the black line I marked, and a Q train on the red line i have marked, would the D be moving and have a green signal since it switches to a different track compared to the Q, or would the D be held until the Q gets ahead before its able to make that switch?   Also for the reverse situation, if lets say the D where that black line is is lets say the one thats ahead and halfway through its switch to its tracks to the bridge, and the q is the one before its switch to the bridge, would the Q in that situation be held while the d gets further ahead even though they are not going on the same tracks?

The (D) and (Q) do not interfere with each other at all and same exact thing with the (B) and (N). (D) trains are cut off by the (B) and (N) as well as vice versa and the (Q) experiencing the same exact thing with interference from both the (B) and (N).

On 7/19/2023 at 4:37 PM, R32 3838 said:

Corona is the best barn in the whole entire system. They will turn a turd into something great. Before retirement, their R33/36WF fleet had the best MDBF in the entire system. The CBTC issues and everything aside. They always make sure their equipment is in good running shape.

All the other yards need to take notes from Corona, Jerome’s R142s look like they just stepped out of war zone, or so i heard

Just wondering, if the QBL is supposed to be one of the busiest corridors in the system, especially for the (E)(F) with very frequent weekday service, why do all the trains that serve the QBL on the weekends (E)(F) and (R) trains run on the minimum 5 tph frequency on the weekends instead of being more frequent? Do most people that use the QBL drive on the weekends? It’s like comparable to running the (7) and (L) every 3-5 minutes on the weekdays but running them every 10-12 minutes on the weekends. Is demand really that low for the QBL?

Edited by Lil 57

12 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Just wondering, if the QBL is supposed to be one of the busiest corridors in the system, especially for the (E)(F) with very frequent weekday service, why do all the trains that serve the QBL on the weekends (E)(F) and (R) trains run on the minimum 5 tph frequency on the weekends instead of being more frequent? Do most people that use the QBL drive on the weekends? It’s like comparable to running the (7) and (L) every 3-5 minutes on the weekdays but running them every 10-12 minutes on the weekends. Is demand really that low for the QBL?

All I can say is demand is there and those trains are packed

52 minutes ago, Siemenslover said:

All I can say is demand is there and those trains are packed

Well there is one way to “increase service”, and that would be to cut the (R) to Queens Plaza weekends and run the (E)(F) every 8 minutes via local, but then that affects Manhattan, where every time there is construction on 8 Av, the (C) has to shift to 6 Av, and work could not be simultaneously done on 6 Av and 8 Av at the same time. In essence, can’t be done. The (E)(F)(R) are stuck with 12 minute headways on weekends, and sometimes even worse / inconsistent due to flagging elsewhere along the lines outside Queens Blvd

1 hour ago, darkstar8983 said:

Well there is one way to “increase service”, and that would be to cut the (R) to Queens Plaza weekends and run the (E)(F) every 8 minutes via local, but then that affects Manhattan, where every time there is construction on 8 Av, the (C) has to shift to 6 Av, and work could not be simultaneously done on 6 Av and 8 Av at the same time. In essence, can’t be done. The (E)(F)(R) are stuck with 12 minute headways on weekends, and sometimes even worse / inconsistent due to flagging elsewhere along the lines outside Queens Blvd

That also forces people coming in from Jamaica and Eastern Queens via the buses to sit though the local stops, so I agree that that’s the best idea. I’m also assuming that’s why the (F) runs express overnight instead of local as well.

Mabye when CBTC is complete in the system, trains can run closer together in order to bring in more frequent service. 

3 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Having the (R) go to queens plaza and relay would cause even more delays to the (E) or (F) if it runs via 53rd and top it off with the CBTC restrictions it makes things worse. The only differnce with the night (R) GO is that they only switch to the express tracks and deadhead to lay up the trains.

I imagine an alternate reality where the MTA follows through with building a connector between Queensboro Plaza and Queens Plaza. Then the (R) trains just go to Queensboro Plaza, people could go downstairs to continue their trip, and none of the trains’ frequencies would be constrained by three different routes having to share a pair of tracks. Astoria would certainly be happy to have twice the frequency from the reroute of (R) trains.

20 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Oh the demand is there for sure. Trains are packed every weekend, and in some cases busier than some weekday trip post pandemic

The reason it is every 12 minutes is because the MTA will perpetually do construction on the IND and that is all the track capacity for each weekend. Especially with the adjacent track flagging rules, where trains have to slow down, the effective capacity for the system is down compared to say 20 years ago.

The construction will never end on the QBL, so effectively it is a service cut

5 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

That also forces people coming in from Jamaica and Eastern Queens via the buses to sit though the local stops, so I agree that that’s the best idea. I’m also assuming that’s why the (F) runs express overnight instead of local as well.

Mabye when CBTC is complete in the system, trains can run closer together in order to bring in more frequent service. 

On paper, the (F) is express on weekends and late nights

More times than not, not only is it local, it also runs 3 mph all the way from Queensbridge to Kew Gardens

38 minutes ago, FLX9304 said:

Ummm the (6) had R62As 1651-1919 from 1985-2000. So what’s the beef with riders NOT liking these cars? 

Because those R62As were replaced on the (6) by the R142As; only for those R142As to be replaced years later by the R62As. That's why certain riders don't like them. If the R62s went back to the (4) after being replaced there by the R142/As, it would be the same thing with riders also not liking those cars.

The only good thing about the (6) going back to using R62As is the slightly smoother ride quality when compared to the R142A. Other than that, it's a pretty major downgrade everywhere else from a passenger's perspective.

-Quote Copied and Pasted from R211 thread

Another question, one thing I notice almost every time I take SB 4/5, around 8-9PM is that its almost always  very good in manhattan, but the moment that they are going between borough hall and nevins street in brooklyn they become very slow, is that really because of the rogers junction? Literally almost every single time, actually probably every time, around that 8-9pm time the 4/5 goes slow between borough hall and nevins, whats up with that.. especially considering its always going decently fast before then, it just goes to shit when they reach brooklyn, what's the deal?

1 hour ago, habbyy said:

Another question, one thing I notice almost every time I take SB 4/5, around 8-9PM is that its almost always  very good in Manhattan, but the moment that they are going between borough hall and Nevins street in Brooklyn they become very slow, is that really because of the rogers junction? Literally almost every single time, actually probably every time, around that 8-9pm time the 4/5 goes slow between borough hall and Nevins, whats up with that.. especially considering its always going decently fast before then, it just goes to shit when they reach Brooklyn, what's the deal?

It's more than likely Rogers Junction that is just making this slowdown more evident.

12 hours ago, Lex said:

At that hour?

I worked the pm tour on the (5) for over 20 years and never had this problem. I was normally on-time at Nevins, Franklin and Utica/ or New Lots so I'm wondering what could be the cause of this perceived delay. My experience though. Carry on.

Does anyone know if the 63rd street tunnel reconstruction project is still on track, or is it delayed again, I don’t see any changes on the Planned service changes page, and there hasn’t been any announcements about the project’s starting date and other useful information for passengers to know beforehand