SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

On 9/19/2023 at 8:58 PM, Ale188 said:

NYC subway cars that I caught on my trip to CI:

R46: 5490-5493, 5526-5529, 5594-5597, 5814-5817

R68A: 5061-5064, 5133-5136

Access-A-Ride bus: 5311

Total of subway cars: 8

Total Access-A-Ride buses: 1

So yeah! That was my trip on 6/18 and what I caught!

On 9/19/2023 at 9:57 PM, Ale188 said:

I'm an idiot, I meant 24.

Random posts like these belong in the Random Thoughts thread. You're welcome in advance.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

So apparently, the reason why the redbird anniversary on the (7) was cancelled is because of the multiple construction projects happening all at once. They thought it would interrupt train service and decided against it.

well yeah they are working on the express track at woodside and 7 exp trains are local 74 and queensboro

6 hours ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

I've been noticing the (C) is starting on the express track at Euclid, while the (A) has to stop on the local track before switching back to the express. Why is that?

It is because they are doing work at the relay (where the (C) uses to switch from southbound to northbound). The relay is also the only way to access Pitkin Avenue Yard from both sets of local and express tracks via Euclid Avenue station.

Edited by Jemorie

6 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

So apparently, the reason why the redbird anniversary on the (7) was cancelled is because of the multiple construction projects happening all at once. They thought it would interrupt train service and decided against it.

Does that really matter tho, they can still run it as a local (7), doesn’t disrupt service at all, could happen on a weekend, service is already bad on the weekends 

Edited by Chris89292

13 hours ago, NoHacksJustKhaks said:

I've been noticing the (C) is starting on the express track at Euclid, while the (A) has to stop on the local track before switching back to the express. Why is that?

Something something track work or whatever. I'm betting they're working on the connection that leads directly to the express tracks from Queens forcing the (A) to run to the local tracks while the (C) is still free to access the express tracks from the yard leads. This works because at least dispatch will just time when the (A) or (C) is able to depart and just have them crossover each other instead of the (C) having to wait to enter Euclid because of the (A) already there.

3 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

Does that really matter tho, they can still run it as a local (7), doesn’t disrupt service at all, could happen on a weekend, service is already bad on the weekends 

Remember that the express track at 61st is inaccessible, so say the TOMC decides to crap itself between Queensboro and 52nd then it would be hard to divert (7) Trains stuck behind it. Same thing would happen if a regular (7) has problems along that corridor. They're most likely playing it safe, even if running the TOMC along the Flushing line is doable.

There's going to be a robot that'll patrol the Times Sq-42 St station during the overnight hours but won't be at the subway platforms. It'll be a test for two months, if it goes well, it may be expanded on all subway stations. 

https://ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2023/09/22/adams-unveils--robocop--guardian-for-times-square-subway-station

2 hours ago, Calvin said:

I was worried this would be some pushover, but 400+ pounds is some pretty hefty weight. I’m hoping that means it’s scratch, stab, smash, shatter, shock, and waterproof.

https://brooklyn.news12.com/mta-announces-new-station-elevator-paid-in-full-by-macys?fbclid=IwAR1290zeGxDGHs8ZSMDIG0fGJjcZ8jnv0J5CyB3ondyQar5x_XST8hXbXNs

At Hoyt St on the (2) (3) lines, there is an elevator to get you to or from street level, southbound only. Although, it's paid off by Macys. 

Edited by Calvin

I was scrolling through Facebook earlier and found a post in a local Riverdale group that’s asking for support to restore the (9) to speed up some commutes.

They provided a stop map, and it shows the (9) running express from 242nd St to Dyckman St, 157th St to 96th St, via 7th Ave express to Chambers St, and then all stops to South Ferry.

Would this even work?

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I was scrolling through Facebook earlier and found a post in a local Riverdale group that’s asking for support to restore the (9) to speed up some commutes.

They provided a stop map, and it shows the (9) running express from 242nd St to Dyckman St, 157th St to 96th St, via 7th Ave express to Chambers St, and then all stops to South Ferry.

Would this even work?

I don't think it will work as some trains are on layover on the express track in The Bronx. Then the issue would be the stretch between Dyckman and 145th with the lack of an express track which can slow down both (1) and (9) service if either train decides to crap itself.

I doubt there's space to fit (9) Trains on the 7th Ave express with (2) and (3) trains, so it would have to deal with the drawback of sharing the track with the (1) just like in Upper Manhattan.

I'm pretty sure that the (MTA) would just cut down (1) Train service if the (9) is brought back in any capacity, which in turn would anger (1) riders that would now have to wait longer at stations the (9) would not serve.

1 hour ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

I'm pretty sure that the (MTA) would just cut down (1) Train service if the (9) is brought back in any capacity, which in turn would anger (1) riders that would now have to wait longer at stations the (9) would not serve.

....which would be a repeat of history that led to the (9)'s discontinuation in the first place.

Don't miss that 1/9 skip-stop shit at all; especially in the waning months of the (9)'s existence - where skip-stop got so sloppy, it was literally a guessing game as to which train (the 1 or the 9) was going to stop at the stop you needed up in Upper Manhattan - regardless of what trains were "supposed" to do, according to the schedule/subway map....

Edited by B35 via Church

1 hour ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

Then the issue would be the stretch between Dyckman and 145th with the lack of an express track which can slow down both (1) and (9) service if either train decides to crap itself.

No train would need to crap itself. Even in normal operation, there is no way an express can run for 7 stations without catching up to a local train, at which point it moves no faster than the local train. It might as well open up and let people on and off.

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

242nd St to Dyckman St, 157th St to 96th St

lol. Skipping the one and only transfer station (168 Street) in the area? Local only for the college crowd? Who does this express really serve?

1 hour ago, CenSin said:

No train would need to crap itself. Even in normal operation, there is no way an express can run for 7 stations without catching up to a local train, at which point it moves no faster than the local train. It might as well open up and let people on and off.

lol. Skipping the one and only transfer station (168 Street) in the area? Local only for the college crowd? Who does this express really serve?

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

....which would be a repeat of history that led to the (9)'s discontinuation in the first place.

Don't miss that 1/9 skip-stop shit at all; especially in the waning months of the (9)'s existence - where skip-stop got so sloppy, it was literally a guessing game as to which train (the 1 or the 9) was going to stop at the stop you needed up in Upper Manhattan - regardless of what trains were "supposed" to do, according to the schedule/subway map....

Except this time it isn’t skip-stop,

take a look (image from FB)

IMG-1098.jpg

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Except this time it isn’t skip-stop,

take a look (image from FB)

IMG-1098.jpg

The two most obvious reasons to vote NO on this idea IMO.

1- The section between VC  and Dyckman ignores a significant portion of ridership uptown. It also creates congestion between 157 St down to 103rd while screwing over another high ridership base.

2- From 96th Street southbound (1) the only option is to run behind another local. There’s no way anyone in O&P would even consider crossing over the train to the express track just to cross it back down at Chambers Street.My opinion. Carry on.

10 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

The two most obvious reasons to vote NO on this idea IMO.

1- The section between VC  and Dyckman ignores a significant portion of ridership uptown. It also creates congestion between 157 St down to 103rd while screwing over another high ridership base.

2- From 96th Street southbound (1) the only option is to run behind another local. There’s no way anyone in O&P would even consider crossing over the train to the express track just to cross it back down at Chambers Street. My opinion. Carry on.

1. I think that's the point, it skips all of the heavier used stations to balance out riders by giving everyone between 231st St & 207th St empty trains that aren't crowded (as opposed to crowded trains since a lot of trains from 242nd/238th St are crowded with people from the Bx9, W1, W2, and W3). Can you explain how it causes congestion between 157th St & 96th St?

2. Isn't that what they did for 6 years with the (N) running Broadway Local between 34th St & Canal St? 

15 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

1. I think that's the point, it skips all of the heavier used stations to balance out riders by giving everyone between 231st St & 207th St empty trains that aren't crowded (as opposed to crowded trains since a lot of trains from 242nd/238th St are crowded with people from the Bx9, W1, W2, and W3). Can you explain how it causes congestion between 157th St & 96th St?

2. Isn't that what they did for 6 years with the (N) running Broadway Local between 34th St & Canal St? 

1). I think it’s because of the merge south of 103 St

2). the (N)(Q) had that same merge issue at 34 St north and Prince St southbound, since both used the Manhattan Bridge (southbound) and went to Astoria (northbound)

Just a thought on AM rush hour express service on Central Park West uptown. The expresses tend to crawl up from 42 St to 125 St because of the following: 

1. The 145 St-bound (B) that terminates on the upper level (A)(C) platform should just extend to 168 St and discharge there, since it forces a couple of (C) trains behind it to switch to the express track after 125 St to go around it, delaying the (A)(D) trains

2. The (A) trains that drop out at 168 St clog up the express track, instead of just switching to local after 145 St. They’re going to the 168 St layup anyways to be stored for the PM rush trips to Rockaway Park, so might as well stay on the local track since they’re dropping out, and not delay the (A) trains trying to go to 207 St.

53 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Just a thought on AM rush hour express service on Central Park West uptown. The expresses tend to crawl up from 42 St to 125 St because of the following: 

1. The 145 St-bound (B) that terminates on the upper level (A)(C) platform should just extend to 168 St and discharge there, since it forces a couple of (C) trains behind it to switch to the express track after 125 St to go around it, delaying the (A)(D) trains

2. The (A) trains that drop out at 168 St clog up the express track, instead of just switching to local after 145 St. They’re going to the 168 St layup anyways to be stored for the PM rush trips to Rockaway Park, so might as well stay on the local track since they’re dropping out, and not delay the (A) trains trying to go to 207 St.

1. Why does the (B) terminate on the upper level at that point?-Because the (D) is still express? If so, it should terminate at 125th and layup in Homeball Alley since it can go into the pocket track at 135th without holding up service.

2. So you want those (A) trains to go local after 145th? You're adding another merge with the (C). These trains can run via the (D) to 161st Street and relay on the 167th St Pocket Track used for staging Baseball Specials id its such an issue. It can be rebranded as a rush hour only (H) train.

38 minutes ago, TDL said:

1. Why does the (B) terminate on the upper level at that point?-Because the (D) is still express? If so, it should terminate at 125th and layup in Homeball Alley since it can go into the pocket track at 135th without holding up service.

The upper level for the (B) is used to one train to go out of service there to layup at 207 St Yard to become an (A) trip via Far Rockaway. It determines if it runs or not otherwise, it’ll go straight home to Concourse Yard. Also, 135 St layup is reserved for the day as there’s a (B) train sitting at that track to go back in service for afternoon, 4:08 PM from its layup at 10 AM, lower level.