SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

On 10/29/2023 at 2:13 AM, Jemorie said:

So? The (C) is basically a short-turn (A) making local stops while the full regular one runs express. If you rode the (A) at night, then basically you rode the (C).

Like the above poster said, both routes run alongside together or on the same tracks together in both Manhattan and Brooklyn. There isn’t anything wrong with treating them like a combined entity.

Except… they’re not a combined entity. They are crewed separately. They are based separately. 

remember that until the mid 90s, the C and B were swapped uptown. The B went to 168 and the C was BPB/145 lower middle.

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Today was a bad day on the (L) line, first a track fire at Halsey Street disrupted service which caused major delays, now a train with mechanical problems knocked out service between Broadway Junction and Myrtle.

This is why I insist on these criteria for picking a place to live or work…

• R.O.W. must not have a double-tracked choke point into Manhattan (e.g., Brighton) without a direct alternative that is accessible before that choke point; or
  • Two independent R.O.W.s into Manhattan (e.g., at Myrtle–Wyckoff Avenues); or
  • At least at a triple-tracked express station where trains can bypass obstructions without skipping my stop.

On 11/11/2023 at 6:06 PM, CenSin said:

This is why I insist on these criteria for picking a place to live or work…

• R.O.W. must not have a double-tracked choke point into Manhattan (e.g., Brighton) without a direct alternative that is accessible before that choke point; or
  • Two independent R.O.W.s into Manhattan (e.g., at Myrtle–Wyckoff Avenues); or
  • At least at a triple-tracked express station where trains can bypass obstructions without skipping my stop.

The problem is that every Manhattan-bound tunnel from the outer boroughs is 2-tracked. The only real way to get around it is by living in an area where there are multiple routes close by so you can pick your poison.

For example, the Jay St area is good since you have three tunnels accesible to you (Rutgers (F), Montague (R) and Cranberry (A)(C)).

same as the LIC/Queens Plaza área where you have the Steinway St (7), 53 St (E)(F), and 59 St (N)(R)(W) tunnels.

The 74th Street-Main Street GO on the (7) will start to happen more often next year, problem is that this will affect the 82nd and 111 Street Station renovation projects, it’s currently delayed already, it doesn’t need to be delayed again, my suggestion is to do this GO around approximately May-June 2024, when the 52nd and 69th street Manhattan bound platforms will be closed, so then the 74th-Main St GO will be worth it, no trains will pass on either direction, and there will be more time for construction to be done.

17 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

The 74th Street-Main Street GO on the (7) will start to happen more often next year, problem is that this will affect the 82nd and 111 Street Station renovation projects, it’s currently delayed already, it doesn’t need to be delayed again, my suggestion is to do this GO around approximately May-June 2024, when the 52nd and 69th street Manhattan bound platforms will be closed, so then the 74th-Main St GO will be worth it, no trains will pass on either direction, and there will be more time for construction to be done.

The GO cannot happen past April since Baseball and Park events happen at Flushing Meadows, meaning the (7) has to be running full service, unless the plan is to run LIRR Express service from Grand Central /  Penn Station to the Port Washington Branch (maybe relaying at Great Neck every 15 minutes) to serve Woodside-61 St, Mets Willets Point & Flushing Main St, all the express <7> stations.

And I think the express <7> train will hopefully resume service west of 74 St-Broadway once the work at Woodside-61 St is finished.

On 11/12/2023 at 9:20 PM, Chris89292 said:

An addition to this, it seems like the contractors are already installing equipment on the Manhattan bound side at 69th street on the (7), if im not wrong, it could possibly mean 1 or 2 things

1. 69th Street Station Renewal: once the 82nd and 111 Street Manhattan bound platforms are completely rehabilitated, they’ll start closing the opposite side, at the same time closing the Manhattan bound platforms at 69th street, maybe 52nd street too I have no idea

2. Structural repairs/Overcoat painting: There is a contract, where the crews will do structural repairs, and paint sections that weren’t painted, which were part of a previous contract

I want to stick with my first option, it’ll essentially complete the project much faster, and the whole Main St-74th St GO wouldn’t delay the project even further, I wonder what’s happening on the (J) renovations, anyone got an update on that???

Can someone confirm this for me? Yesterday while riding on a Coney Island-bound F, as it left Smith-9th Sts, I noticed a full-length R46 train running on the express track the opposite direction. I would assume it was out of service, but I thought I have seen actual passengers inside that train (I do vividly seeing people wearing jackets in that train as it passed by my train). I wasn't able to see the front of that train but the back had the blue K rollsign on it. Was that R46 really out of service or did it had another temporary purpose considering neither the F nor the G runs R46s at the present.

41 minutes ago, CyclonicTrainLookout said:

Can someone confirm this for me? Yesterday while riding on a Coney Island-bound F, as it left Smith-9th Sts, I noticed a full-length R46 train running on the express track the opposite direction. I would assume it was out of service, but I thought I have seen actual passengers inside that train (I do vividly seeing people wearing jackets in that train as it passed by my train). I wasn't able to see the front of that train but the back had the blue K rollsign on it. Was that R46 really out of service or did it had another temporary purpose considering neither the F nor the G runs R46s at the present.

As far as I know it was a movie train.

Recently they've had R46 movie trains on the IND half of Culver for something (same consist, signed as K or V)

1 minute ago, MeeP15-9112 said:
44 minutes ago, CyclonicTrainLookout said:

As far as I know it was a movie train.

Recently they've had R46 movie trains on the IND half of Culver for something (same consist, signed as K or V)

That's exactly what happened, it was doing a bunch of moves including wrong-railing.

On 11/13/2023 at 10:34 PM, Chris89292 said:

...I wonder what’s happening on the (J) renovations, anyone got an update on that???

75 St only had one half of the Jamaica-bound side with new concrete platform and yellow edges while the other half still has temporary wooden flooring. Walls aren't put up yet at that station. The Jamaica-bound platform at Woodhaven Blvd has new concrete platform and the yellow edges (with the exception of the extreme ends of the platform) and like 75th Street, walls haven't been put up yet. Although I wasn't able to see it clearly, I believe the skeleton of the elevator shaft has been put up.

On 11/12/2023 at 9:20 PM, Chris89292 said:

wait, so there's going to be some full weekend closures on the (7) train between 74th st and Main st. what kind of work would be done that would require that portion to be shutdown.

On 11/12/2023 at 7:46 PM, darkstar8983 said:

The problem is that every Manhattan-bound tunnel from the outer boroughs is 2-tracked.

On 11/11/2023 at 6:06 PM, CenSin said:

a direct alternative that is accessible before that choke point

Brighton is bad because the alternative is first transferring to the (S) and then the (2)(3)(4)(5) or (C) (i.e., an indirect transfer to an alternative) or taking the train backwards to Coney Island to transfer.

4 Avenue is fine because there are 3 links to Manhattan.

Flushing is fine from Woodside to Flushing–Main Street. You get 3 chances to dip for another train (one of them being between the Flushing express and local). Past Woodside going railroad south, if the problem reaches Queensboro Plaza, you’re out of luck.

6 hours ago, Far rockaway said:

wait, so there's going to be some full weekend closures on the (7) train between 74th st and Main st. what kind of work would be done that would require that portion to be shutdown.

Elevator installation at Queensboro plaza, the station complex will be fully closed, it also affects the (N) 

You know what's nice? the little salute the give to people with long careers on their last day of retirement over the radio.

You know what's not nice? When they go on and on for literally a total of 10 minutes, hogging the airwaves, like someone did last week... 

If I talked that much non-stop, I'd be doing time in the streets if I was lucky...

On 11/13/2023 at 2:39 PM, darkstar8983 said:

The GO cannot happen past April since Baseball and Park events happen at Flushing Meadows, meaning the (7) has to be running full service, unless the plan is to run LIRR Express service from Grand Central /  Penn Station to the Port Washington Branch (maybe relaying at Great Neck every 15 minutes) to serve Woodside-61 St, Mets Willets Point & Flushing Main St, all the express <7> stations.

And I think the express <7> train will hopefully resume service west of 74 St-Broadway once the work at Woodside-61 St is finished.

It will be a while before <7> Express service returns to normal as the express would be running in one direction once the middle track is used for (7) Trains when the renovations begin at the 52nd and 69th Street stations.

On 11/11/2023 at 11:38 AM, Kamen Rider said:

Except… they’re not a combined entity. They are crewed separately. They are based separately. 

remember that until the mid 90s, the C and B were swapped uptown. The B went to 168 and the C was BPB/145 lower middle.

I feel like there are different levels:

1. Cases like the (J)(Z)(7)<7>, or (6)<6>  where both services share the same everything, just one runs express.

2. Cases like (N)(W) where a fleet is shared and internally the MTA sometimes combines them but they are somewhat distinct routes

3. Cases like the (2)(5) or (A)(C) where trains use similar/the same yards there is some overlap in the routes, and there is sometimes overlap in fleet during weekend service changes, delays and stuff.

1 hour ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

I feel like there are different levels:

1. Cases like the (J)(Z)(7)<7>, or (6)<6>  where both services share the same everything, just one runs express.

2. Cases like (N)(W) where a fleet is shared and internally the MTA sometimes combines them but they are somewhat distinct routes

3. Cases like the (2)(5) or (A)(C) where trains use similar/the same yards there is some overlap in the routes, and there is sometimes overlap in fleet during weekend service changes, delays and stuff.

The difference is that the (2) & (5) share a terminal while the (A) & (C) do not. So that comparison doesn't really work. A comparison btw the (2) (5) and the (N) (W) makes more sense since both sets of lines share a terminal and fleet.

Bottom line: the (A) & (C) are NOT a combined entity. They are separate lines with separate operations.