SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're viewing the NY Daily News Article, after 30 second to a minute, it'll have the content reserved for subscribers only. This is the quote: 

Here’s proof you can want a job too much: A train buff and ex-MTA cleaner accused of trespassing on NYC Transit property lost a bid to become a subway train operator when he was tossed from a training class this week.
MTA officials recognized the 34-year-old rail fan, John Dooley, whose record includes an arrest for trespassing at a Sunset Park, Brooklyn, train yard in 2022 where he was photographing decommissioned R32 “Brightliner” subway cars.
“He was immediately noticed,” MTA’s head of subways, Demetrius Crichlow, told the Daily News.
“He did not even finish 20 minutes of his training” before being asked to leave, Crichlow said. “He is not an employee — nor will he ever be an employee — of this great organization.”
Dooley was employed by the MTA as a subway cleaner from 2011 until 2017. Transit sources told The News he was fired from the agency after he was caught trespassing onto subway tracks, where station cleaners are not allowed.

Dooley is well known among transit workers as an enthusiast who enjoys discussing subway rolling stock with train crews. Social media accounts in his name are full of photos and apparent drone shots of subways and rail yards.
Reached by email Wednesday, Dooley said his termination was due to a misunderstanding after he “stumble[ed] onto the tracks.”

“In no way should that disqualify me from going through train operator training,” he said.
Before he was arrested in 2022 at Brooklyn’s 65th St. rail yard. 

Before he was arrested in 2022 at Brooklyn’s 65th St. rail yard, a transit worker recognized him from a breakroom flyer that made clear the former cleaner was banned from NYC Transit properties.

In that incident, Dooley was charged with criminal trespass, weapon possession and possession of stolen property after cops found him carrying a knife, a Taser, an invalid MTA ID, and a set of subway keys.

Asked about last year’s arrest, Dooley waxed poetic.

“As with most train enthusiasts, I was fascinated by the R32’s iconic nature,” he said of the shiny, ribbed, stainless steel cars that served the system for more than half a century.

“The only crime I was guilty of was loving trains too much.”

Edited by Calvin

5 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

With all of this NTT testing they’re doing on the Franklin Shuttle, are they going to extend the platforms back to four cars or order special R262’s?

Looking at google maps, you can build a 240 ft platform at Park Place without building a bridge over either Park Place or Prospect Place. Same for Franklin Av, but there's the issue of the curve. IIRC there is some room at Botanic Garden to extend the platforms further south. 

They probably won't do it until they need to replace the R68s, but extending the platforms to 4 cars would mean they won't need to order single cars. That being said there's enough room to extend 145th on the (3) from 6 and 1/2 cars to 10 cars and they still haven't done that and don't seem to want to.

News for me:

I am planning to go to NYC on January, most likely the middle of January. The primary places I’m gonna go to are Manhattan and Brooklyn (maybe Queens). I will be staying there for a couple days. Most likely I will be between Penn Station and Coney Island. We haven’t set up full plans yet, but I do know that I will be railfanning at certain stations and catching every subway car, bus, and Access-A-Ride unit on the way, and I’ll list them here once I get back. So hopefully I can see some stuff there!

2 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

You know the QBL is up a creek without a paddle when the R train your crewing beats the F that left 71st before you to Queens Plaza.

emergency work caused them to leave a work zone active until about 5:40… and I made a 5:30.

a work train was taking forever to get out of the way.

and my train went CBTC-BIE.

That’s so fun! When can we expect MTA to cancel CBTC work on QBL, since it obviously isn’t working!

Looks like the schedule is not king after all. I got to Brighton Beach on time (5:56 AM). Conductor straight up said that supervision wants the train leaving 5 minutes later than scheduled (5:57 AM, the first (B) of the day to leave Brighton Beach).

lol

17 hours ago, CenSin said:

Looks like the schedule is not king after all. I got to Brighton Beach on time (5:56 AM). Conductor straight up said that supervision wants the train leaving 5 minutes later than scheduled (5:57 AM, the first (B) of the day to leave Brighton Beach).

lol

There was probably a good reason for that.

On 11/24/2023 at 8:17 PM, Calvin said:

.........In that incident, Dooley was charged with criminal trespass, weapon possession and possession of stolen property after cops found him carrying a knife, a Taser, an invalid MTA ID, and a set of subway keys.

Asked about last year’s arrest, Dooley waxed poetic.

“As with most train enthusiasts, I was fascinated by the R32’s iconic nature,” he said of the shiny, ribbed, stainless steel cars that served the system for more than half a century.

“The only crime I was guilty of was loving trains too much.”

Ew.

Cringe as hell.

As an aside, NYCsubway.org has a habit of posting up his photos, even after it was well known that he was trespassing.

Also.........WTF was the dude doing with a Taser and knife?

14 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

They opened the Customer Service Center at Sutphin Blvd (E) (J) .  It’s on the south side of the mezzanine, opposite of where the old booth was. It looks like a “carved out” area of the station, I wonder what was there in that area before, storage?

it was a newstand that was in that area