SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I might run into you one day, since I sometimes transfer to another train there.

If you ever see both the (B) & (D) at 59 St/Columbus Circle SB, which one will head to 6th Ave first? Ask the T/O.

If you're riding between Hoyt–Schermerhorn Streets and 59 St-Columbus Circle uptown, then it's pointless to ride the (A).

It's pointless because the (A)(C) travel time is roughly the same between Hoyt st and 59 st. (A) only skips Spring st, 23 st, and 50 st but there are local express stops between these stations like West 4 st, 14 st, 34 st,42 st. The (A) would only save you 1 minute when it leaves 59st the (C) would arrive the station.

Yeah. It annoys me when people say, "the (C) is faster than the (A), the (A) sucks because it has R46s and too many timers," but you guys are right. The (A) doesn't skip very many stops in that section. It's not slow, just not very much faster than the (C).

Between Hoyt and Canal obviously the (A) and (C) share track. Above Canal the express generally is going uphill all the way, and can't gather that much speed (the fastest it gets until CPW is about 37 entering West 4th, and that's ignoring the 30MPH sign that's posted just north of Spring.) The (C) while it does have to go over the switch, will sit at 20 between Spring and West 4 for the timers (which protect a downgrade into the switch, first one clears at 25, 2nd one at 20) and switch there. This piece between Canal and West 4 is where the (A) gains the most time for the entire stretch. After West 4th, its basically equal.

Obviously they both make a stop at 14th on their respective tracks. On a side note, the presence of an (E) in front of a (C) generally won't make a runtime difference until Penn Station, btw. After 14th, even though its uphill the (A) goes through a series of timers that are progressively slower (30, 30, 25, 20) to guard a switch just outside of 23rd for a spur. The outside track is untimed. The (A) typically spends more time at Penn Station than a (C), which allows it to make up for lost time again because most people on the outside tracks are waiting for (E) service to Queens (and won't budge when a (C) comes into the station), and uptown folk are cramming into the (A), which is more full to begin with usually. Again, they share a stop at PABT on their respective tracks.

50th Street is interesting. Timers begin at the entering end of 50th. I ignore the first one (GT20) until I get north of the station (leaving at 26mph usually) as the ones following are slower and I just wait for the red to flip over. The timers are not in effect when the switch is reversed for train traffic, and they make you wait at the 2nd signal outside of 50th. The timers are to guard the steep hill down into 59th-CC, without those trains would blast in there at 40+ without a problem. Even with the timers I'm still up in the low 30s by time the last one clear and I'm free to wrap into the station. The same timers are also north of 50th on the local track for the same reasons. They are only in effect if the switch is straight, and are not functioning if traffic is set to come up from 6Av. There's one extra timer on the outside track since it's a slight jog to the right entering on the outside, so they make you enter a little slower. I'm only in the high 20s by time I have to brake it down on the local track.

Ill add this, dont ask the T/O southbound on the B/D at 59-CC, look at the signal to see who has the lineup. Often the train crew has no idea, either. Typically its the train scheduled to leave first, and that's something neither T/O would know unless they knew the schedule for both lines.

Edited by TwoTimer

Random thought:

Have you guys ever noticed how a crowded train sounds quieter than an empty train from the inside? I'm pretty sure that it's true. I'm guessing that the people's bodies inside the train absorb the sound waves.

To an extent it is quite. However, the NTT trains are ridiculously loud in any way, especially the R142. It sounds like a spaceship, and it drowns out all other noises.

To an extent it is quite. However, the NTT trains are ridiculously loud in any way, especially the R142. It sounds like a spaceship, and it drowns out all other noises.

Oh god that is very true. Whenever I am waiting I can hear it all the way down. I don't know what Kawasaki and Bombadier were thinking with this loud noise that they have, but atleast they serve the purpose very well.

Guys, I'm talking about INSIDE the train. And yes, the R142 has crazy loud HVAC, but it's still quieter than the SMEEs from the inside IMO.

I can't wait to see the R160B trains run on the (B) route. It's about time I start to see R160 trains run on the Central Park West Line.

Has anybody with insider info from the MTA said that R160s are actually going to the (B)? I don't exactly trust the person who brought it up...(http://www.nyctransi...oming-to-the-b/) Edited by TheSubwayStation

Well, the (B) will get NTTs eventually. Until then, the R68/As are doing just fine on the (B)

Yeah. I really don't understand why mileage is supposedly such a big deal with the R160s. I mean, if the MTA were to put the R68/As on the (N)(Q), then wouldn't they start having the same milage issues? Reliable NTTs are better suited to more demanding lines, AFAIK.

I can't wait to see the R160B trains run on the (B) route. It's about time I start to see R160 trains run on the Central Park West Line.

I like the R68 and R68A's. But it will be nice to see an NTT on the IND Concourse Line.

Despite my earlier comments, I enjoy having the R68 and R68A cars run on the (B) route. In fact, I'm used to them being on that route. It's just that when I heard about the possibility of R160B cars running on the route in the near future, I was somewhat surprised and a little excited.

Edited by kmilton100