SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You do realize that you could be charged by the (nasty) police even if you were trying to correct improper signage ? Sometimes it's best to leave that job to someone who gets paid to do it. I was on a n/b (C) train years ago when a rider was accosted by the police for changing a rollsign from a (D) back to a (C) after some kids messed with it. The kids got off at Utica and left the scene. I was in the car, in uniform, and talked to the police from Kingston-Throop to Lafayette Avenue before they cut her some slack. Be careful. Some officers aren't going to listen to what you have to say even if you have witnesses. Carry on.

You're right, and I definitely considered the risk. I took a look around the car and it was mostly empty due to the detour, so I wasn't too concerned. It's a shame that you need to be concerned even when you're doing a helpful thing, but that's our NYPD. I couldn't resist though lol, brought me way back finding those cranks.

Edited by MHV9218

No, the signs weren't on that, they were set for the WTC and others. I changed it to 2nd Av and 168th for this weekend's GO.

Are you a conductor? If not, LEAVE THE SIGNS ALONE. You haven't been trained to operate the trains, and plenty of "helpful friends" have broken the rolls by not turning them at the proper pace.

Wow. A Manhattan bound (L) went Express/ or if some people prefer "Skip-Stop" for some reason

At least nobody's calling it a battery run anymore. Believe it or not sometimes people actually learn.

Edited by Snowblock

Are you a conductor? If not, LEAVE THE SIGNS ALONE. You haven't been trained to operate the trains, and plenty of "helpful friends" have broken the rolls by not turning them at the proper pace.

Oh, relax. 

Also, unless you're talking about 1982, there aren't enough rolls for "plenty" of people to break. There are about three cars in the entire system with cranks attached. People using allen keys illegally, that's a different story.

Edited by MHV9218

Maybe your side of things should set them properly so they're not in that position, like the (B) . It says 145th in one car and Bedford Park Boulevard in another. I mean, isn't that what (MTA) officials get paid for?

Maybe your side of things should set them properly so they're not in that position, like the (B) . It says 145th in one car and Bedford Park Boulevard in another. I mean, isn't that what (MTA) officials get paid for?

Nope, they cut that job last year......perhaps we should hire volunteers from this forum to change signs at Brighton?

BTW - I've worked plenty of (B) trains where entire train was set to 145, I made appropriate announcements coming into 59, 125 and 145 to change to the (D) for Bronx service, and I still get customers staring at me when I detrain asking what's going on and why isn't the train moving.....

Edited by Snowblock

Any photos of that R143 that hit the bumper? Is that whole 4-car set OOS? If so, does that mean Canarsie has a 4-car train sitting around.

The whole set is out of service, the one that actually hit the bumper block (8277) is supposedly back at Kawasaki and the others are sitting at 207

Nope, they cut that job last year......perhaps we should hire volunteers from this forum to change signs at Brighton?

BTW - I've worked plenty of (B) trains where entire train was set to 145, I made appropriate announcements coming into 59, 125 and 145 to change to the (D) for Bronx service, and I still get customers staring at me when I detrain asking what's going on and why isn't the train moving.....

Don't excite these kids now.

How are the automatic announcements triggered on the NTTs?

I'm assuming you mean when you're coming into a station and the announcement says "This is ___ street" All Ntt's have a computer/ detector to count the amount of times a wheel rotates to tell the train where it is along its route. Pretty awesome technology imo, whoever designed the R142's from a pure technological standpoint is a genius.

I'm assuming you mean when you're coming into a station and the announcement says "This is ___ street" All Ntt's have a computer/ detector to count the amount of times a wheel rotates to tell the train where it is along its route. Pretty awesome technology imo, whoever designed the R142's from a pure technological standpoint is a genius.

No. The technology is a piece of crap, but working within their current constraints I'd say it's the best working solution at the moment. Here are the problems:

• It does not actually "know" what station it is approaching. The conductor or train operator must let the train know where it is starting and what route it is taking. The train will then use the wheel rotations to guess where it is. It will be wrong if:
    • It is running on a different track than what the program was expecting. The train will continue to annouce all the local station stops as it's rolling by them even if it is on the express track.
    • The train goes on a detour that takes it completely out of the set route.
  • If the conductor or train operator picks the wrong route or sets the wrong station, the train will happily comply with the invalid information.

No. The technology is a piece of crap, but working within their current constraints I'd say it's the best working solution at the moment. Here are the problems:

• It does not actually "know" what station it is approaching. The conductor or train operator must let the train know where it is starting and what route it is taking. The train will then use the wheel rotations to guess where it is. It will be wrong if:
    • It is running on a different track than what the program was expecting. The train will continue to annouce all the local station stops as it's rolling by them even if it is on the express track.
  • If the conductor or train operator picks the wrong route or sets the wrong station, the train will happily comply with the invalid information.

Very primitive, indeed. As they install CBTC on lines, I expect them to install detectors before stations to trigger the announcements. With the CBTC equipment, the train knows exactly where it is at all times.

Sure it has its problems what piece of tech doesn't? The issues you listed are very minor and there's multiple work arounds for each said issue. For something built 14 almost 15 YEARS ago  this tech is amazing compared to what was available back then. 

Very primitive, indeed. As they install CBTC on lines, I expect them to install detectors before stations to trigger the announcements. With the CBTC equipment, the train knows exactly where it is at all times.

There's no need for that in the A division, and how is this tech primitive? 

Question preferably to a T/O but if you know please answer

There are two X switches at prospect park. During the Q train to prospect park G.O. which ones did the te trains use the one south of the station or the one north of the station.

Also how does a Q train turn on Kings Hwy from the southbound local track to the other side

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Sure it has its problems what piece of tech doesn't? The issues you listed are very minor and there's multiple work arounds for each said issue. For something built 14 almost 15 YEARS ago  this tech is amazing compared to what was available back then. 

There's no need for that in the A division, and how is this tech primitive? 

These automated annoucements are about as advanced as a 19th century music box. Only instead of the pins on a rotating cylinder plucking the right teeth on a comb at the right time, and instead of a person winding the right music box to the right position, a conductor of train operator "winds" the train's computer to the right station, and the wheels "pluck" the right audio annoucements at the right time. There's no intelligence behind the mechanism.

Question preferably to a T/O but if you know please answer There are two X switches at prospect park. During the Q train to prospect park G.O. which ones did the te trains use the one south of the station or the one north of the station. Also how does a Q train turn on Kings Hwy from the southbound local track to the other side Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

For the (Q), Prospect Park only has switches south of the station. The (Q) uses those. For Kings Highway, the single switch connecting the two express tracks south of Kings Highway is used, but first all trains must switch to the southbound express track first before reversing direction over the switch(es).

Edited by CenSin

For the (Q), Prospect Park only has switches south of the station. The (Q) uses those. For Kings Highway, the single switch connecting the two express tracks south of Kings Highway is used, but first all trains must switch to the southbound express track first before reversing direction over the switch(es).

How come there is a signal for an X track on the n/b side of prospect park or is that for the shuttle

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

How come there is a signal for an X track on the n/b side of prospect park or is that for the shuttle Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

There are unexplained signals in a lot of places. I just go by what I see from the front window of the train. There is only one X switch between the express tracks in the vicinity of Prospect Park.