SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They should make the (M) to Chambers permanent on weekends, maybe even extend it to Broad during GOs to help with the missing (4)(5) service below Brooklyn Bridge

I don't think that's needed. You have the (2)(3)(N)(Q)(R) to help as they go into South Brooklyn whereas the (J) and (M) don't. I would boost (2) and (3) service and call it a day. Edited by S78 via Hylan

You do know that's not permanent right? And I'm talking about on the WEEKDAYS. Technically, the (M) to Metropolitian is suppose to be the UPTOWN version, Forest Hills is suppose to be DOWNTOWN version, of was it the other way?? IM SO CONFUSED!!

I never mentioned that it's pernanent... you keep answering your own quesions.

I don't think that's needed. You have the (2)(3)(N)(Q)(R) to help as they go into South Brooklyn whereas the (J) and (M) don't. I would boost (2) and (3) service and call it a day.

It is, because remember, its the weekend, weekend service is SLOW, especially the (J) . Even though its not pernament its been over 2 months that the (M) has been terminating at Chambers St and so far it has been doing well. (M) gave me easier, faster access from Bushwick to Canal for the (N)(R) without waiting another 10+ minutes in Mnhtn for a (J) .

They should make the (M) to Chambers permanent on weekends, maybe even extend it to Broad during GOs to help with the missing (4)(5) service below Brooklyn Bridge

Yes, thank you for mentioning that. I wouldn't extend it to Broad, you have the (J) for that. Edited by Priincenene

I have a question about a video I recently heard:

It was a rerouted (4) train that got sent up to Wakefield and returned back down to Manhattan, the announcements to Wakefield was like this:

"This is a Wakefield bound (4) train, via the (2) line. The Next Stop Is, 233 St."

The announcements to Manhattan was like this:

"This is a Manhattan (4) train, via the (5) line. The Next Stop Is, 233 St."

When the (4) gets rerouted to Wakefield, is it technically via the (2) or via the (5)?

I never mentioned that it's pernanent... you keep answering your own quesions.

It is, because remember, its the weekend, weekend service is SLOW, especially the (J) . Even though its not pernament its been over 2 months that the (M) has been terminating at Chambers St and so far it has been doing well. (M) gave me easier, faster access from Bushwick to Canal for the (N)(R) without waiting another 10+ minutes in Mnhtn for a (J) .

Yes, thank you for mentioning that. I wouldn't extend it to Broad, you have the (J) for that.

I do a agree with you it does help me get back to Bed-stuy

Well, he is correct. The (M) really should terminate Chambers St, because service between Essex and Broad St is short on the weekends, and with the (J) no longer terminating at Chambers St, heck why not? The MTA has nothing to lose.

You forgot that the (J) can handle the entire BMT Nassau Street Line on its own during both weekdays and weekends. But yes, I agree that the weekend  (M) should permanently originate/terminate at Chambers Street, so it can offer Myrtle Avenue customers some more Midtown options and not just at Essex Street.

Edited by RollOver

Well, he is correct. The (M) really should terminate Chambers St, because service between Essex and Broad St is short on the weekends, and with the (J) no longer terminating at Broad St, heck why not? The MTA has nothing to lose.

The (J) terminates at Broad 24/7 now. Headways between Essex & Broad is the same 10 minutes as anywhere else along the line, and throughout most of the system.

Lower Nassau St would be just fine with the (J) by itself

Before Jamaica Center opened what was the night time service pattern of the (E) and (F)? Did one end at 71st Ave and one continue to 169th/179th?

They both went to 179th on the local tracks. At the time I believe the (G) was the only one terminating at 71st. The (N) did run to 71st for a bit but I think it followed the current ®'s scheduling.

If you're going to do anything there, on weekends I'd have the (M) instead of going to Chambers go to West 4th while the (D) runs local with the (F).  Yes, it involves the (D) and (M) having to cross over (northbound north of Broadway-Lafayette, southbound north of West 4th) and the (D) having to cross to/from the express track north of 34th Street, however, this would be on WEEKENDS when service is not nearly as frequent and give those looking for 14th and 23rd on 6th Avenue a second train during those hours.  

This would actually be one stop LESS for the (M) doing it this way and gives Broadway-Brooklyn riders on weekends transfers to the (6) and the (D)(F) at Broadway-Lafayette and the latter lines plus the (A)(C)(E) at West 4th.  

Otherwise, you can also use my idea for making the (Z) a full-time 24/7 line as noted in the Proposals/Ideas thread.

I've been noticing recently that whenever something happens on CPW, a R160 magically gets turned into a (B) train bound for 2nd Av, and it's been happening a lot recently during the AM rush hour. A few R68 (B) trains terminate at 2nd Av during Rush Hour, and I don't know the exact reason why.

To think about it, I would also say make the (Z) go to either, Prospect Park OR Bay Parkway because there's a least chance of the old (M) returning and this would in fact increase service for South Bklyn riders if service is needed to the Eastern Division.

I've been noticing recently that whenever something happens on CPW, a R160 magically gets turned into a (B) train bound for 2nd Av, and it's been happening a lot recently during the AM rush hour. A few R68 (B) trains terminate at 2nd Av during Rush Hour, and I don't know the exact reason why.

Yeah I saw that too.I believe Daniel caught that too.

Its always one of the R160's off the (C) ...

Edited by Around the Horn

Delete 

Damn... I should try and see that...

Edited by LegoBrickBreaker101

Yeah I saw that too.I believe Daniel caught that too.

Its always one of the R160's off the (C) ...

You are correct. Daniel did catch an R160A (B) train.

Actually, with the recent Paris terror attacks trending on the news right now, should I be careful while railfanning this weekend?

Edited by TheNewYorkElevated